Sunday, February 11, 2018

creating peace

I love a productive day.

Sweet Hubs is down in his recliner, where he's been most of the day.  He ran out of muscle relaxers and his arm feels like it is on fire.  I'm hoping the chiropractor can give him some relief soon.  He's only had one of 3 months worth of needed treatment. So I am guessing hoping for a miracle at this point might be a bit premature.  Hopefully our GP can give him another prescription for the muscle relaxers.  While they didn't fix it, they definitely seemed to make it tolerable. 

I haven't bugged him much today, because just like everyone else, when he's in pain he's a bit of a bear. After writing this morning, I decided to step away from electronics.  I could have done hours worth of work.  Either professional or personal.  I decided to feed my creative soul instead.

I am feeling worn out from the negativity that seems to be everywhere.  Weary from all the people that cannot just be happy.  I've been dealing with too much of it lately so I decided to step away.

After a good long chat with my beautiful daughter, and a few moments surfing my favorite positive sites, I closed my Chromebook and set my phone out of my reach.

I spent a few hours in my incredibly messy sewing room. I probably should have devoted some of that time to cleaning it up, as I still have things that are not unpacked and we've lived here 3 1/2 years.  That wasn't my mission today.  My mission was to create.

I didn't turn on music.  No television.  The only sounds were what echo'd up from the basement and Sweet Hubs, the random sounds from outside, the steam of the iron and the rhythmic sound of my sewing machine.  The sounds of the scissors that are only allowed on fabric slicing through the cottons I was working with.  It's a sound that is hard to even describe.

I opened the blinds to let the natural outside light blanket my work space and cleared my thoughts.

My sister had asked me to make lip balm key ring holders.  I don't use much lip balm so I didn't quite get the value of this.  She explained to me that she had washed so many tubes, so had many of her friends. I'd asked if she had a color choice, she didn't.  I found a simple pattern - after all how complicated can it be right? And broke out my scrap bags.  It ended up being the perfect project.  I had piles of small bits of interfacing left over from t-shirt quilts that I hadn't been able to convince my frugal heart to part with.  And even more bits and pieces of fabrics.  I actually could still be making them and not run out of anything except the key ring bit. I'd been trying to have time to make them since early January - or maybe even late December.  Things have been a bit wonky lately.

That task finished I moved on to laundry and dinner making.  It's been forever since I made Spanish Rice, but I figured why not?  We had left over fajitas and I wanted to turn it into a complete dinner.  So... why not.

After dinner and semi-tidying the kitchen, since it was already a bit of a mess... I decided to make two new batches of soap.  My house has the most interesting scents going on right now.  I am questioning the wisdom and thankful that I didn't decide to whip up some candles while I was at it. Bath and Body Works has nothing on our house right now.

The first batch is the Bonnie's Triple Butter - the one with tea tree oil and lemongrass.  The second batch is called Catherine's Caffeinated - it has coffee and peppermint. We might be sleeping with the windows open tonight.  All together I think there is roughly 7 pounds of cold process soap curing in the laundry room. And I am wondering if we are going to need to open windows.  I am still not sure how I like the cold process soaps.  They aren't difficult or at least they aren't supposed to be.  I am struggling with just the right amount of trace. We will see how they turn out.

I am done for the night.  I was going to sit in the quiet, but Hubs has started watching something that sounds a bit like a symphony and all of the Warner Brothers cartoon characters fighting Rocky.  I am actually a bit frightened by the combination. I have no idea what he's found, I expected to hear 60 Minutes, as he is definitely a 60 Minutes guy. 

Shortly I will head up to bed, I am tired.  I've been pushing to hard and not sleeping enough. 

This day has recharged my batteries.  The only time I connected to the internet was to talk with my Dad for a few moments.  They'd brought him a lunch he didn't like.  Although he said he's feeling a bit better today and looks a bit better too. He is also catching up on his sleep and adjusting to the healing process that comes with open heart surgery.  I offered to make him some Chicken Noodle Soup - one of my B's insists that it has healing properties.  His answer was an I don't know.  But a bit later my sister text me and asked if she came up in a couple of weeks if I would make him and she would take it back to him.  Of course I will.  Hubs is already trying to figure out how to send him some on dry ice. He's my Mr. Fix It.

I've enjoyed my disconnection from the modern world.  Leaving the negativity and hatred that keeps invading life lately behind. I've enjoyed slowing down and being creative.  I feel like I can tackle the world again tomorrow. 

But tonight... I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...