Tuesday, February 1, 2022

unproductive...

Good beautiful morning!  I can't believe it is February 1, the sun is out, it's beautiful!  At 8:30 am it is already 45 degrees, heading up to 59 degrees by 3 pm!!  It's great, fantastic... or is it? 

Today starts Imbolc, on the Celtic/Pagan.  If it is warm and beautiful the Crone will gather more wood, for an extended bitter winter is heading your way.  It isn't time for the birth of spring, but we are definitely half way between the winter and spring equinox.  Today is the day to start your tomato seeds indoors and to begin planning for all of the life that mother earth will bear forth in a relatively short while.  

This year it is also the first day of the Chinese New Year, the beginning of the year of the Tiger, it is a very busy day for many around the globe and here at home.  If you live anywhere from the midwest to the east coast you are finding things to be very interesting as the predictions around winter storm Landon seems to be getting ready to dump snow all over the place.  We'll see, but starting this afternoon we are expecting radical temperature drops and lots of snow, sleet, ice and well general chaos to ensue. 

I keep forgetting to pick up laundry detergent, so I braved the stupidity of my forgetfulness and ran to the grocery store this morning.  By 645 am the lines were stupid long, only two cashiers, on the plus side they were finally stocking the shelves in the store which had been empty the last two times I was there.  It was a lot of chaos for laundry detergent, I can only imagine how it is now.  But with two puppies and snow coming (read - hard to get outside to potty) I was not taking any chances on puddles not being cleaned up. 

In the quiet of the morning I was surfing the book and found a statement that I had to share.  It was all about being unproductive and wasting time. I instantly fell in love.  In a short statement it summed up the journey I have been on and continue to be on.  It validated every thought and feeling I have had for far too long. 

Our world has been so obsessed for far too long with measuring a person by their productivity level.  How many hours did you put in, how many meetings, how many tasks did you mark off your to do list.  The measure of how we spend our time has been tightening since I can remember.  I have stacks of books that I don't read, why?  Never could fit it in.  I was far too busy trying to push myself harder. 

Reading this statement filled me with joy.  

"Waste time this year.  Go for long, rambling walks. Write Poems. Try a new recipe, just because. Pray. Paint. Knit something. Read that big old book. Work on your novel. Our world is obsessed with productivity, but 'unproductive' hours are the most soul-shaping parts of our lives".  

I have no idea who to credit with this.  Although I feel most of us could have written it.  Mine would be slightly different, as I am learning this journey of unproductivity.  As I am unlearning so much that has been taught and ingrained in us, almost since birth.  I wish I could say I wasn't guilty of doing it to my children, but sadly I am. 

I am finding that I savor the journey of creating.  I am at my happiest when I am creating.  It doesn't matter the medium, it's the process of slowing down, the loss of ego and the deepness of thought and feelings.  

I am learning to stop obsessing over the completion rate, I no longer belittle myself for not making the progress that I had convinced myself was needed, I simply cherish the journey, quick or slow it doesn't matter.  I have never taken apart so many projects because I wasn't thrilled with how it was turning out.  The end result has been some of the best work I have ever done. 

masters of unproductive time

I am falling in love with unproductive hours, what I have spent forever craving is now a huge part of my world.  I am actually challenging all of you to do the same.  To dive into that deep pool of unproductive hours.  To identify the things that fill your soul and go for it.  Try a new hobby on for size.  Stop running on the treadmill and start experiencing the pure joy found in being. 

A long time ago a dear friend gave me a small poster, it hung on my desk for years.  It simply said "we are Human beings not Human doings".  All the pieces of my life have been coming together for a long time.  Take time to be, take time to simply experience life in it's fullest measure.  Lose yourself in the beauty that surrounds us. 

And if you are in the path of any of the storms that either hit recently or are gearing up to hit us, use that precious time when the snow and ice bring our world to a halt to start.  Are you going to create?  Pray or meditate?  Slow cook a luscious meal from scratch?  Curl up by the fire with a good book?  Maybe you are a poet or writer and now is your time to finally compose the piece that has been lingering in your soul? Maybe you will start all of your precious garden seeds, preparing to help mother earth spring back to life?

So many wonders are simply waiting for us, when we slow down and reach out for them.  I firmly believe the key is slowing down. I enjoy things so much more than I used to, because I am learning to take life at a much slower pace.

As for us here in the Lou, I do believe the Crone is out gathering more wood to warm her bones for the weeks to come.  I don't know that we will have the storm they are predicting, I've learned to never trust the weather channels, but I am prepared for whatever comes our way. I will watch the animals, I will observe the skies and I will delight in whatever comes our way. 

Be safe and very unproductive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...