Monday, February 7, 2022

frustration...

When I had my knee replaced I took up a new hobby, it's called contacting the insurance company weekly.  I followed everything the doctors office requested.  EVERYTHING! I even postponed surgery to make it easier and less complicated on their billing department.  None of the other medical departments connected with my surgery had any challenges getting things processed correctly.  But the surgeon's office... Oh my goodness!!  

I can tell you how long the pause is between the sections of elevator music they play when you are on hold.  I can officially tell you that our healthcare system is completely jacked up and that I am beyond over it all. The insurance company is not refusing to pay, they simply need the doctors office to submit the bill correctly.  Instead, the woman at Docs office simply sent me a bill for the entire amount and told me if I didn't want to personally pay it, I could sit on hold with the insurance company, because she was done with wasting her time and it was my responsibility to either correct it or pay it, she didn't care. 

Mind you, she has been the one that directed how everything should happen in the first place and didn't do her job correctly from the start.  But sure, let me clean up this mess for you, I don't mind wasting an hour or two per week to get you paid so that you don't have to do your job. 

Yes, I am a bit testy.  Especially when I keep getting snapped on by this woman when I call to give her an update, well if she is even there.  The last three times I've called she hasn't been available. 

I will admit that I am sitting her with tears in my eyes right now, trying not to get too excited, but it is highly possible that I have finally completed my newest hobby.  They have given me that assurance before and it's fallen through, but today they actually said the words that it has been processed finally.  I will be so over the moon if I no longer have to deal with this. If I can finally mark it off my weekly to do list. 

Insurance companies dictate your services, Doctors offices are over crowded, hospitals are raising rates and dropping service levels... it's only getting worse and worse and please, please, please do not try to tell me it's all because of the pandemic.  It's not.  Although it does feel that people are constantly using that as an excuse for doing and being less than. 

Don't get me wrong, I definitely benefit from my new knee.  I also benefit from having good insurance and at no point do I mind helping anyone with anything.  I simply do no understand why she couldn't do her own job. I don't work for the doctors office, yet it is my persistence that will lead to them finally getting paid. And ironically, she is still not available for the information.  It's exhausting. 

It's no different than when I go to the grocery store and my only option is wait for the single cashier for an extended length of time because no one wants to self-checkout, or I self-checkout.  I am not your employee, if me doing your job saves you money, then how about you offer an "employee" discount at those self-checkout lines? Make it worth my aggravation to use your system, that I was never trained to use, to check myself out.

Geez, I guess it is definitely feisty Monday for me. I didn't wake up in a feisty mood, I promise... well actually I think I just woke up in a tired mood.  Didn't sleep well last night, had to get up early because I never did get Hubs haircut done last night, so I am a bit weary.  

But the mood has more to do with my time not being respected as valuable, it has to do with people that are disrespectful and cranky.  Some folks never learned you catch more flies with honey. 

Hopefully, this is the final call I will have to make.  Hopefully this is the last time I will sit on hold with the insurance company. Now its time to tackle the rest of my to do list. Even retired there are still many things that require time and attention to details, not everything sadly can wait until the next day or a later time.

I sure don't want to sound like my folks did to me when life started changing around them, and not through the lens of progress.  I'm sure they felt the same about their folks view on changes also.  It's almost a rite of passage.  And this old fashioned girl does not want life to move rapidly in such an unfriendly and unwelcoming manner. 

I try to always put others first, I try to always treat them with kindness and grace, I don't really want to be part of a society that doesn't do that any longer.  Where you are shoved off to deal automated systems, people that are burned out and don't like their career paths and it shows, sent to webpages to look for information that may or may not be there instead of being able to pick up a phone and call for answers. 

I am not always sure that life has changed for the better... I'm trying to see it though... I promise!



For now, I think I am going to enjoy the on hold music from the County Assessors office, a cup of hot coffee and work on unknitting my sweater (went 10 rows too far on the wrong pattern...) and looking out the window at the young bucks that are wandering around in the snow out back. I need a mental reset today!  Pups and I definitely need to find a park path to wander!

love and peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...