Friday, February 11, 2022

rose gardens...

The sunrise this morning was breathtaking!  Looking outside now, it's almost impossible to believe that just 30 minutes ago the sky was on fire with beautiful blues, purples, pinks, yellows, and oranges.  It is now officially a gray soup with rain coming in. The beauty of it inspired me to finally get my seeds ordered, I have no idea why I have been stalling, but it was time to finally do it.  

I know that I will buy some of my plants from the local feed store, they all did fabulous for me last year, so I think that is probably the reason for the delay.  I always want to buy ALL the plants, I mean can one have too many?  The answer to that is yes, because unfortunately they all need usable real estate. Ask me how I know, I will definitely show you the packages of unused seeds that are past their prime and rarely germinate for me now. 

I am going to try lavender again this year, I am determined!  Every year or two I decided that I am growing it, everyone I know that has it has beautiful plants, they harvest so many beautiful fragrant bundles, me... nope.  Mine usually lasts for a few weeks and dies.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, heck my neighbor less than a quarter mile away harvests so many beautiful flowers, I just don't understand.  But, I do not believe in a no win scenario, so again this year I will try it. 


I'm fairly proud of myself, while I would love to tell you that I grow all of my plants from seed, the truth is, I kill more than I grow that way.  I don't have enough space to put them where they can safely germinate, maybe one day I will build myself a greenhouse (but probably not), until that day comes I prefer to support local greenhouses and buy my tomatoes, peppers and the like a bit more "grown".  I am struggling to decide if I am going to attempt adding zucchini again or not.  I have not been very successful growing that in pots. I feel I will be better off sticking with herbs and the basics. 

Who knows, this time of the year my heart definitely starts dreaming of bringing the treetop garden back to life.  The empty black pots actually make me a bit mopey and sad to see.  I want them vibrant and overflowing with life.  I hope to remember all of the marigold seeds I harvested the past two years to add to them mix this year and my girlfriend gave me a small ton of Rose of Sharon seeds.  I want to get a couple of those germinating soon, my poor Rose of Sharon trees have taken such a beating from where they were planted by the previous owners on the side of the hill and I am simply not sure how much more damage they will receive when we get our fence installed. Hopefully I will be able to grow them large enough to transplant around the fence and that the deer will choose to eat something else. 

Sweet Hubs reached out to the guy that redid the deck, he is going to come and give us a couple of bids to decide on for the fence.  We were considering using metal like the neighbors fence, but I really feel I would prefer a wooden fence, a bit more my style. With enough space the babies can observe the world, but sturdy enough to protect them.  

Well, before I head off to spend time with my girl and while the pups are still snoozing, I think I am going to do a few more chores and get ready for the day... I can't be the only one suffering through a bit of spring fever, it's been brown and dreary for far too long... 

love and peace... and springtime dreams!

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...