Sunday, March 6, 2022

homesteading in the burbs?

Took the pups for an early morning walk today.  Such a different morning, but just as beautiful in it's own way.  Hubs and I try to make their walks (and ours) varied and exciting, nothing worse than doing the same thing every single time you leave the house.  

The weather yesterday was beautiful and we managed three very long walks.  When it is 75° in March you take advantage of it.  Today was a cool 44°, very hazy and overcast.  Not cold, just cool. You could feel the moisture in the air as we walked.  I guess it stormed really bad last night, my phone was full of alerts when I woke up today, I missed it.  Heck it's March in the mid-west, this is completely normal and to fully be expected. Each day is a gift, it just depends on how you choose to view it. I spied some of the early blossoming trees getting ready to pop! Talk about a gift!

The custard shop opened yesterday so both babies got a pup cup.  They earned it after the long walk up there, and honestly they enjoyed it completely! I was concerned their little tummies wouldn't do well with it, but no problems.  This is an occasional treat, not daily, the vet said it would not hurt them.  And as much as we walk, my babies are not going to have a weight problem at all, heck they are making sure mom and dad don't have weight problems. We managed over 7 miles of walking yesterday alone.


We did some planning, prepping (I bought everything I could early for his birthday party next month - prices are going up too high to ignore), and just being.  It felt so good to be busy. 

We finally decided on the color I am going to paint the front door.  It's going to be a colonial red, after years of dark blue we are making a dramatic change.  Our house is a lovely blue gray color so it will look stunning.  And between the door, the trim and the house it all blends in perfectly with my very patriotic decorating theme. 

I even got some bulbs planted in the front bed.  When we moved in there were overgrown boxwood's in there.  They were horrible, you couldn't even use the sidewalk as half of it was covered. We tried to trim them back, but they were far to gone for that.  Trimming exposed the bare undersides from years of neglect, so of course the only option was to pull them out. Yikes, what a chore that was, our grandson's gave us a hand, but it still left a great many problems.  Things like poor soil and tons of rocks coupled with an immense amount of shade.  


Those beds have been the bane of my existence. A dear friend gave me some ferns for the one side and they have come back year after year beautifully, spreading to fill the entire space (we will have to see how they do with puppies... oh my) but the other side was simply sad.  Slowly I have been working on it.  It's the home to my hyacinth, there are some hosta's and two other plants that I can't remember the name of, but I liked.  I am filling it with perennials.  Yesterday I added a couple more hostas - big bushy ones at the base of the Japanese maple (which I need to prune by next weekend) and then I discovered some flowering plants - Astilbe, I have never heard of them before, nor have I planted them.  So I decided to go for it.  They are shade loving, but can tolerate a bit of sun, perfect for that spot.  They grow tall and flower.  I put three different kinds and heights into the bed.  We will see... 

The warm weather was definitely motivating me, I wanted so badly to start planting, the next month will be brutal for me.  My mind will turn to planting, my fingers will long to be mucking in the dirt, my brain will be fighting with it all telling me it is far too early to start, to have patience. Ughh... there's that word again. My search for distraction while still moving in a forward direction lead me to purchase some garden towers, two of them.  They will be perfect to plant my Herbs and green leafy vegetables in.  I might also add some borage.  I've never grown it either, but the more I learn, the more interested I am. 

Can't tell I am still bouncing around in my head can you?  Not sure how my sweet Hubs puts up with me, probably why he finds himself watching a ton of movies and television shows - self defense from my slightly non-stop doing. The best part is that he encourages my crazy!


I bought all the ingredients I needed to start making my puppies food yesterday, so that is seriously on the agenda today, around parties and dinners.  I am going to get a good sized batch made up and get is stored in the fridge and freezer.  I am tracking the cost and everything to figure out how to make it the most cost effective and healthy. Today's batch is going to be a combination of chicken, beef, oats, sweet potatoes, carrots, blueberries and coconut oil.  I am not sure I will have time to work on biscuits, but there is always tomorrow for that. 

I am definitely moving back into a semi-homesteading mode.  I feel it. Coming out of winter hibernation into all of this inflation is an uneasy place to be, I don't like it.  I feel like things are out of control and I am working to bring them back into balance.  It feels wobbly. 

Anyone else thinking over their path through these times?  Concerned about the journey? Or do you have confidence in your own abilities to navigate things? I have confidence.  My little homestead in the burbs, is going to work just fine for Hubs and I and our precious pups. 

Time to get busy... 

love and peace... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...