Wednesday, March 9, 2022

plotting and planning...

Ever have one of those days?  Today is starting off as one for me, I have a lot of things I want to finish, but unfortunately most of them will take me to another floor of the house and I have to wait for the guy from the fencing company to come and give us a bid this morning. I'm hoping he's super early, so I can get on with my day.  The pups have their final puppy shot appointment this afternoon (any bets on their weight?), so my day is all kind of mixed up and crazy. I don't like interruptions.  When I get in the flow, I like to stay there. 

Last night Hubs and I went to see "Uncharted", it was a bit over the top in a couple of places but over all it was an great movie.  As we were driving in I made sure to check my gas tank - did I need any gas?  Nope, at $3.79 a gallon I am trying so hard not to waste any, pups and I are even keeping our walks local. Two hours later while heading home we were absolutely stunned to see that the price at every station we drove past had gone up to $3.99 a gallon.  Seriously?

Ironically I had heard the leader of our country state earlier in the day that we could expect the price of gas to go even higher, over $4 or more and that we needed to be thankful as it was the price of freedom.  Who's freedom?  Because we don't make enough to balance out his ideals. 

Guess we will be staying home even more.  I'm seeing a lot of things about being prepared.  And I'm wondering is it being prepared for shortages?  Or for the rampant inflation?  In any case, I'm working on it.  Are you?  Because at the rate things are going up, before long peanut butter and jelly will be an extreme luxury.  Anyone keep their sour dough cultures alive?  It's likely to be a great skill to have before long. We don't eat grains, so I did not. But I can whip up some mean grain-free crackers in no time. 

Today is going to be a bit of a homesteading day.  I need to make puppy food, I am still playing with how much to make at one time, I want it fresh for them without risking it going bad.  It looks like I might be cooking every three days.  That isn't bad.  I want to add a few things into this batch, like some flax seed and possibly some cheese for calcium. I'm not sure yet how it will do if I freeze it, so I might freeze a small amount and see how it does.  

I'm also doing some research on canning it, unfortunately that is going to have to wait until I buy a canning pressure cooker.  I am waiting to get the one I want, I could go cheaper, but frankly I'd rather have one that will meet my needs and last. Canning meat products definitely requires a good canning pressure cooker. 



I can't wait until they are a bit bigger, I will start dehydrating jerky treats for them.  But their baby teeth are not strong enough yet. For now the focus is on healthy treats.  I will probably make a couple of batches today, I am trying all different kinds for them to see what they like the best, they love the peanut butter, but aren't fans of them frozen - which is what needs to happen if they are frosted with the peanut butter icing.  Beau is fine with it, Belle looks at me like I am crazy and waits for hers to warm up.  So you can imagine the mess. 

I'm also going to put together my new veggie towers, never got around to it yesterday.  I want to clean up the deck before I assemble and fill them and yesterday was just stupid cold.  I wasn't interested at all in working out in the cold. Today is sunny so the deck area will warm up and be comfortable for working on the cleanup.  This waiting for spring weather thing is killing me.  I need the beauty to return.  I'm tired of the starkness.  I would love to have a greenhouse, but I am not so sure our HOA would even remotely approve of that.  But it would bring me great joy to be able to harvest year round. 

I was thinking about doing a bit of soap making, but my good friend might be able to come over next week and if so I want to teach her, so I am going to wait.  I might work on my rebatch soap, the jar is getting awfully full and well dried out.  It's a total experiment.  I am going to shred and melt all of the soap scraps I have been saving and then pour them into molds to harden up again.  We'll see how it turns out.  Basically, nothing ventured... these are leftover bits that were destined to be tossed out.  So the color will most likely be a muddy brown and the scent?  Well, I figure it's going to be interesting as well although most of the essential oils will evaporate as it heats.  Who knows.  Either it works and I have soap or it doesn't and I will have lost nothing.  Seems like a win/win to me. 

I have to admit that I am thankful for Hubs investing in my assortment of tools over the years.  He has always made certain that I had quality kitchen tools, project tools, traditional tools.  There really isn't much that I need to do for my family that I struggle with.  In fact I would already have a canning pressure cooker, but I am the stumbling block there.  I'm cheap (I could say frugal) and when I worked more than full time it seemed like a huge waste of money. 

If it warms enough before tomorrows possible snow, I will probably start cleaning out the rest of the ivy on either side of the house.  I am over it.  I'm sure the previous owner thought it was beautiful, I'm just not crazy about it.  I always worry about the rodents and snakes that it could shelter, I know it will shelter lizards, as I had one crawl up my pant leg and accidentally killed it trying to stop it. It broke my heart and terrified me all at the same time.  Nope, it definitely needs to go before everything starts warming up and fills with more critters. 

Yep, not as fearless as a true country girl, but I will make up for it with hard work.  

Well... my little beasties are getting ready for their morning nap, so it is the perfect time for me to get busy prepping their food for the next few days. Keep your fingers crossed that my fence guy shows up early, this girl needs to get cranking on her projects. 

love and peace... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...