Friday, March 18, 2022

sunshine and dirt...

I finally found my motivation yesterday, after writing I took my coffee out on the deck and sat with my babies soaking up the sunshine. While doing a bit of research on the best time to start planting different seeds in my area.  One thing led to another and before long I was covered in dirt, my boxes were ready and after a couple of hours, the first garden of the year was planted.  It felt wonderful! I didn't call anyone, I simply turned on the different podcasts that I listen to, pulled out the seeds from my stash and got busy.  

Spending time outdoors is so important.  Too many folks avoid it nowadays, we fail to remember the great need we have on a very deep level to spend as much time as possible in nature.  It's been proven that the smell of dirt acts like a natural anti-depressant.  And that spending time in the sunshine and fresh air have a host of benefits.  Increasing your serotonin level, your vitamin D and strengthening your immune system. All while lowering stress, blood pressure and lowering your heart rate.  I think all of those factors greatly improved my energy level and improved my overall mood yesterday. 

After hours of playing in the dirt, planting peas, carrots, bok choy, lettuces, several different kinds of spinach and about 10 different varieties of radishes I was no longer in a funk.  I was ready to tackle more of the items on my to do list. 

freshly washed in today's rain



Before I knew it the backdoor was scrubbed and prepped for painting, so of course I decided to take advantage of the beautiful day before today's rain.  I almost got finished before the little wildlings decided to run out and brush up against it.  That bright white makes it look so clean and fresh out there.  The difference is unbelievable.  I might still put in a sliding door, I still do not like the struggle with the one that is there, but... I might wait a year or so.  We'll see. 


I bought the paint for the front door.  It's going from blue to a deep "forbidden red" - I think it looks more like barn red, but what do I know. I knew I wasn't going to have time to complete that project yesterday, I haven't even scrubbed it all down.  And I knew rain was heading our direction today, so it will have to wait.  Maybe tomorrow afternoon or Sunday, after the current rain ends and before the next cycle of it begins.  

I'm pretty thankful for the rain, we sure haven't had much for a fairly long time and I have been a bit concerned at how low our rivers have been. Not to mention that my sweet garden much prefers the gentle rains to my pour pitchers of water over them. 



The babies got lots of walks in parks yesterday afternoon, I will admit that this staying light later thing is pretty sweet, at least for puppy walks!




We even took the babies for a walk in the moonlight, did you see that moon?  Holy cow it was lovely!  Huge and bright.  I saw a meme today that had me laughing "Feeling kind of cute, might make everyone crazy later", completely accurate.  People are far more affected by the moon than they give it credit for. I remember conversations with friends back when I worked about it being a full moon and being able to tell by the behaviors of many people. I need to dust off my good camera to take pictures.  My phone simply doesn't do it justice. 

Today's rain will give me the excuse to stay inside and tidy the house, clean up the daily (hourly) puppy killing fields.  They kill at least one or two toys a day.  Seems the only one Belle doesn't slaughter is a tiny teddy that she loves to carry around in her mouth. Although she is also currently pretty happy with the new rope ones daddy brought home yesterday. 

I'm not sleepy, I'm playing... as she falls asleep

I will switch to my painting clothes before long and I do some inside painting today.  I just need to figure out how to block the babies from helping, Belle currently has white frosting on her ear, tail and spots on her hip from all her assistance yesterday.  And those are just the spots I didn't see and wipe off of her.  

And I can't forget that I have a couple of other projects to work on that aren't house related.  The sewing for my grand daughter and I am finally ready to start on the featherweight case.  It's beyond damaged and not able to be used, so today I will start the reconstruction and giving it a face lift.  That will take a few days at best, so I figured I'd get started now.  This one actually belongs to my sister in law and we will be seeing her at the end of April for quilt week, so I need to get with it, I want to give the wood glue at least 48 hours to cure and strengthen those weak joints, right now all that is holding it together is the tattered fabric that remains still glued to the wood.  In all fairness it is from 1948 and has earned the right to need some TLC.  

The full moon doesn't make me crazy, it gives me tons of energy and the best way to burn off that energy is to stay busy. I get fussy when I don't have projects to work on, Hubs has been a tad upset that I haven't been spending the evenings sitting in the living room watching tv with him.  I struggle to do it when I don't have a project I want to work on - and "THAT" sweater isn't it at this point.  I simply can't love it! I've tried, it isn't happening.  We need a small break up before I start working on it again. A friend of mine just gave me the perfect distraction!  She ordered the cutest Highland Cow.  I cannot wait to start working on that in the evenings.  I really do enjoy making crochet critters.  

Are you doing something that fills you with joy?  Spending some time outside in the sunshine?  Have you noticed a shift in your mood after you do?  Life is too short to not have things that fill us with joy and purpose... 

love and peace...

p.s. I am fanatic about orange roses - my Papa used to grow them for me... and my sweet Hubs found a beautiful bouquet yesterday, so I thought I would share!

 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...