Saturday, March 12, 2022

these times...

So... it is time for Mother Nature to stop, just stop!  The windchill this morning is -1°, as in negative.  I'm so over the cold.  The trees that are heavy with buds agree with me, so do the flowers that have started pushing through and blooming.  Promising that spring time is right around the corner.  I've never been so thankful that the pups agreed and did all of their business in the yard this morning, deciding it was too cold to walk.  I was ready, but I was not excited to walk in the bitter cold.  Just the few minutes we were out there was enough for my fingers to be semi-frozen.  

Tomorrow is supposed to be a balmy 62°, it's no wonder that so many folks are struggling with colds and viruses. It seems like every other day one of our friends is getting sick.  They go to the docs because after the insanity of the last two years everyone rushes to the doc when they feel poorly, only to discover that they have the common cold or an undiscovered type of virus that simply needs to run it's course.  I do find it odd, that with so many folks feeling poorly that it's been almost a month since I have spoken to anyone diagnosed with C19, I'm thankful that has run it's course and people are allowed to just get a cold. I'm sad that so many are so fearful as a result. I just hope all of them get to feeling up to snuff soon. I mean that nice weather is definitely going to be something to enjoy. 

Folks, please tell me that you have your cupboards and freezers filled.  That you are personally channeling some of your parents/grandparents habits from making it through the depression.  Yesterday I ran to the grocery to pick up a few supplies to make my babies their treats, more than a few times I had some sticker shock.  But worse, I was leaning in to grab a package of frozen liver and this senior couple was standing their sorting through the over full bin of corned beef and they were discussing how very expensive it is.  I wasn't eavesdropping the conversation was quite loud, and heart-wrenching.  They kept wondering if they were in the wrong section, were they only looking at the expensive cuts?  Surely these prices can't be right. Were they even going to be able to afford corned beef?  What could they not get so they could have it.  They were so upset and started muttering that maybe they could have something else for St. Patrick's Day.  Just as I was getting ready to offer to buy it for them, they found a small one towards the bottom that wasn't horrible.  It also wasn't big enough for much.  But they were thrilled to still be able to celebrate as they had their whole lives. 

Sadly, I think this is not only going to continue, but I think it's going to get worse. It's not based on anything but common sense, paying attention and being alert. Having been raised military, having raised my babies military, I am extremely aware of how much things cost and how much they have risen.  I know how to live on a limited income. We are being played emotionally and pushed into a state of extreme control. I've read a quote many times over the years about controlling oil and food you can control nations and people.  It has been attributed to Henry Kissinger. I was a bit young when he was active in our politics, but one cannot help feel that this is exactly what is going on in this day and age. 

Have you bought seeds?  Do you have a plan to plant a few things to supplement your groceries?  Oddly victory gardens are trending on most search engines, popping up in social media ads, and getting those seeds is definitely a must.  I am even dusting off my actual gardening books, I have some knowledge, but definitely not enough. 

I am not being a doomsayer, nor am I trying to stress anyone out.  I'm just saying it might be smart to start having a plan B or C.  We are so accustomed to simply driving to the grocery store to pick up what we want.  Many of us don't even plan leftovers or have a plan to use those leftovers to in our meal planning.

I am struggling with the information coming out of our so called leaders.  I am struggling with all of the excuses.  I am struggling with watching people make harder choices than they have been being conditioned to make.  I am struggling with people in all walks of life having to choose to do without, because they simply do not have the ability to expand their sources of income, for whatever reasons are presented to them. I feel too many narratives are incomplete and missing key elements, when questioned they can't stand up to the questions. 

Too many of us have not been seeing the subtle changes happening all around us.  I believe strongly the TP shortage was simply the trial run. And that we are being conditioned to accepting a different kind of life. 

Maybe I am being overly skeptical.  Maybe my natural questioning and untrusting nature is kicking into overdrive.  I don't know.  But I feel deeply that now is the time to dig out those old, almost forgotten habits that you may have seen your elders do, or that you yourself may have used.  Now is the time to remember to use it up, use it out, make it do or do without.  

Do you know how to can?  Have you ever planted a garden (even a small one)? Baked breads or may treats from scratch.  When my kids were small I always baked cookies or sweet treats for them, as they grew and I became busier I fell into the habit of buying those things. I fell deeper into those destructive habits of relying on sources outside of myself to provide.  Maybe there is a reason that I am a stay at home wife, why I am "retired" from the system.  Maybe it is so that I can provide for my family and maintain our homestead during these times. I don't know.  I just know I have a strong feeling about it.  I feel it's time to dig in and make the difference I want to see. 

I pray that I am completely wrong.  That I am being a worrywart and struggling with false realities.  Yet, as I  was awake for hours in the middle of the night, my heart didn't feel like that was the case. 

Each of us has our own choices to make, our own paths to follow.  I am a bit on the fearful side of what desperate people can and will do. 

I don't know why I felt so strongly about writing this today, but I did.  Maybe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?  I don't know... but I care enough to follow the feeling. 

love and peace... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...