Monday, March 28, 2022

catching our breath...

Okay friends... definitely looking for squirrel deterrent ideas. Not only was it crazy cold this morning.  My fingers, toes and cheeks are still semi-frozen and we've been inside for about half an hour, but to add insult to injury I went and checked on my beds and that darn little gray squirrel is already messing with my garden beds.  Fairly certain he ate all of the pea plants there were just sprouting.  And I will give up on the location of the two carrot beds, because if any seedlings survived that massacre it is a miracle.  One of the spinach boxes was absolutely torn up also.  

It's so frustrating.  I plant more than enough to share with the critters, but that dang squirrel doesn't want to even let it grow.  In all fairness, he keeps leaving me random half eaten nuts buried where my vegetables used to be. To make matters worse, I spotted the albino squirrel out in one of our trees, I fear he is bringing in reinforcements.

closest I could zoom in on the new
potential enemy of the garden

No, I am not going to shoot it, but lord was it tempting. I also don't do toxic chemicals.  I need a natural solution.  I even considered cutting down the tree he uses to access the garden, but he would simply find another one and I am very fond of the beauty of that tree. 

I have a ton of chores today, but I am going to squeeze in time for some serious research.  I know for a fact I am not the only one to have to deal with a dang squirrel or any other fuzzy interlopers in my garden. There has to be a solution that isn't toxic to any of us.  So... if you happen to have crazy gardening skills and feel like sharing the info I will definitely be grateful.  Are gardeners like fishermen?  Do they hide the spots or tricks from others?  I sure hope not. 

After a weekend filled with friends, family, feelings and emotions yesterday was a wrap up day.  A day to finish a few odds and ends and to chill.  


Belle approved

I finished that darn quilt.  And even though I was mad as all get out at it for a really long time, I was definitely in love with it as I wrapped it in Christmas wrap and delivered it yesterday. My friends loved it and seemed to forgive the tardiness.  I want to make another one or two just like it.  I was even more excited when they looked at it and saw the same perfection in the colors that I had planned.  They have a precious country cabin and the colors were selected to represent it.  The richness of the land, the grass, the blue sky, the dirt, the colorful flower.  I love their little piece of heaven and wanted to honor it. 

We also went out and checked in on our piece of heaven, our camper!  We haven't been out there in a couple of months, but we are now down to just a few days before the maiden trip of 2022!  I cannot wait to have it here to load and clean up before we head out on Friday.  The weather promises to be cool and possibly raining a bit.  We simply do not care.  We are just looking forward to taking the babies on their first trip to one of our favorite spots. The winery/campground combo awaits.  

I was planning to have a quilt ready for the camper bed, but I am definitely not sure that can happen. I only have four days and a ton of chores to take care of before we go.  I also have a couple of orders to take care of, so the odds of it happening are very slim.  







On our way home we found a park full of walking trails to take the puppies to burn off some energy.  It's not a fancy park, but if you are in the area of Pacific Missouri, I highly recommend doing a bit of stretching and enjoying the beauty on the little trails.  Perfect for walking and chatting.  On top of that they have a huge fenced in area to let your pups run off leash. 

We were blessed to have it all to ourselves, although Beau really wanted to play with the pup that was just getting ready to leave as we walked up.  His owner said he was too unpredictable around other dogs, he was a street rescue, so we stayed on the other side of the fence and let them get acquainted through the fence.  I think my little Beau is going to be the social butterfly that wants to play with all the dogs. 

Belle is more focused on running and playing fetch with Dad, that girl can do some serious running, all day long.  When she would get tired she'd lay down with the ball away from him, until she was ready to play again and off she would run to bring him the ball.  That is definitely her jam.  Other dogs... it's not that she doesn't like them, but she is the one that seriously needs to decide for herself if she is going to engage and freaks out for a moment when pups like Beau come up to her too quickly. Beau has none of those issues, he is right there ready to play instantly. 

recovery time...

It's amazing how much time can fly past when you are simply doing things you enjoy with your loved ones.  I am thankful every minute of every day to be married to my very best friend.  I love taking long walks, chatting with him about everything - large or small.  Making plans and daydreaming.  It heals the soul. I cherish my children, but they are grown and living their own lives.  He's my soulmate, my other half.  He helps me think up most of my insane ideas and then helps me implement them. 

I mean he's offered to off the squirrel for me, that is true love folks! Actually he's trying to figure out how to build me a greenhouse that wouldn't violate HOA rules. 

Well today is packed full of chores, I will admit I haven't done laundry in a good while - I've been busy, and the pups are starting to let me know they are out of the good treats and don't feel like waiting much longer for me to make some, just to name a few.  So I guess I'd better get busy. 

Now don't forget I am looking for those squirrel remedies... 

today's sunrise

love and peace...


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...