Monday, May 31, 2021

the ties that bind...

Family time.  A precious gift that I had not been making a priority.  In the past it was a mixed bag of tricks.  Could the boys go?  Did they allow dogs?  Could we get off work?  What was going on at our various locations of employment?  Would we be able to go off the grid long enough to chill by a fire in a spot without cell service?  Were we simply too exhausted to consider running away? Too many chores to squeeze in before the end of the weekend?

Sitting here in my living room wrapped firmly in a blanket, listening to the music that sweet Hubs is playing from all angles and reflecting on the weekend past.  Those reasons all look like excuses.  It was fun, it was crazy, it was definitely full of incredible memories. 

Hubs and I gifted our neat little pickup tent and mattress to the second youngest grandson. In theory it was incredible.  In action, we are simply too damn old and inflexible!! He is going to enjoy it to no end! He loves being outdoors and it will allow him to take off fishing and not worry about where to sleep.  


Hubs and I have a plan b.  And isn't life about the plan b?  We scoped out a few tents and have decided to get two air mattresses instead of one, because it's not fun when one of us either gets jarred from a deep sleep when the other moves or ends up with no covers when the other gets cold and pulls them all tightly around each other. This weekend definitely tested that cold theory out and proved to both of us, that we are blanket hogs when needed. It is no longer a theory, it is a fact!

We didn't end up floating, not a single one of us thought getting on the water in temps that barely reached the low sixties during the "heat" of the day and the low forties at night sounded like fun.  Or for that matter even safe to one's health.  Brrrrrrr... we will save that for later in the summer, if it ever decides to show.  All of us were a bit shocked that the last weekend in May was so bitterly cold. 

Again... plan b... fires and hot coffee make a great time to bond! We didn't plan our trip overly well, we were spread pretty widely across the campground, but discovered that all of us had a great time wandering and chatting as we walked back and forth. Looking for stones, talking and laughing.  Grazing at each site to see what was cooking or sitting around for snacks.  Learned I really love a mimosa with a shot of peach whiskey in it.  Sure takes that to an all new level. 


I got the most amazing ten minute or more hug from my sweet mini-me (although she makes me look so short now - maybe I'm the mini), she just snuggled up to warm her old gramma up.  I am not going to lie that will forever be a highlight for me! I met my nephew's girlfriend and his sweet baby puppy! We were blessed to watch the smaller clans of individual families blend together into a larger clan of the greater hole.  The oldest grandson arrived in the middle of the night, he'd been out west to take care of his dad's mom, I see him so rarely, but cherish it so much.  He's such a copy of his dad, I am so blessed by the winds of fate that have grown my small family of a daughter and son into this huge wonderful blended mass!





We had the opportunity to spend time with the second youngest granddaughter and her cousin. Our family is a bit confusing, and I dare any genealogist down the road to follow it and connect the dots. In most cases there is at least a drop of blood somewhere connecting it all, in others, there is simply the power of love.  We have members of our little clan that arrived there simply out of time and their connection to someone else.  The original bond broken, the permanent bond unbreakable! 






The oldest daughter was under the weather on Saturday, having forgotten to eat while taking care of everyone else, and while we missed her bright smile and laughter for most of the day, it gave Hubs and I a chance to chat with her youngest sister on her mom's side.  Getting to really know her was so much fun, she will definitely be absorbed into the fabric of our clan also, she is such a good person, full of love and amazing energy!

This weekend was our first big blended clan adventure.  Everyone left full of energy, love, and a determination to spend a lot more time at this little camp ground perched on the black river.  While we were not excited about being cold, we were so thankful to have the time together.  Those of us in tents considered a third night, but as the temperature promised to dip even lower, we opted out. Trust and believe me, sleeping in a tent when it is in the low forties takes a lot of fortitude and determination.  




Hubs and I spent a bit of time together, just the two of us walking along the shore in the early dawn looking for hag stones.  He found the first one, it was a double on top of it.  I admit I was a tad jealous.  Although I think I might have ultimately walked away with the most by the end of the day. Including the one with a heart inside that I found when the entire clan was walking along the shoreline later in the day. 

The entire landscape was covered in beautiful druzy quartz that glitters so beautiful in the flashes of sunlight. I found one that was a beautiful deep purplish red while wandering the shoreline.  Hubs and I both found heart shaped stones that we gifted to the girl - she has collected them since she was a child. 

As we start this memorial day, we carry into it incredible memories and feelings of a weekend spent bonding, learning, loving and exploring.  It was an incredible way to spend time digging deeper into this wonderful family that we are blessed to be part of.  

Memorial day is to remember the men and women through time that have given everything to allow us to do silly things like this weekend.  To protect our liberties and freedoms.  In our sitting room there is a family picture of Hubs' Dad and his two brothers.  One of them made the ultimate sacrifice for our country, I've sat by his graveside and listened to Hubs tell me what remains of the family stories.  I know that he died in battle on his birthday.  So many families have these stories.  The losses that have provided for the future.  Take a moment today to remember and cherish those brave souls, to celebrate the gift they so selflessly gave to all of us! The gift that gives us each the opportunities we have. 


And definitely make memories that guarantee there will always be more family stories to be passed down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...