Saturday, May 1, 2021

best life...

"I want you to get swept away, sing with rapture, dance like a dervish" - one of my favorite lines from the movie Meet Joe Black.  

I've been thinking a lot lately about the wisdom of a four year old, my sweet baby grand daughter to be exact. And that line from that movie often pops into my head when she does. 

My youngest two grand daughters are very old souls, but the absolute youngest is one of the oldest I've ever met.  When she looks into your eyes you feel that you are in the presence of a wise old elder.  With the sweetest dimples you've ever seen. 

She will often grab my hand when we have time together, gives me that impish smile of hers and says come on Gramma, let's go live our best life!  


I'm sure she learned it from her mom and older siblings.  My sweet daughter has definitely instilled in all of them that living your best life surrounded by love, family and friends is the greatest gift this world has to offer. So when a sweet cherub with sparkling deep eyes and a halo of curls says to live your best life... well you are drawn to listen. 

In the quest of living our best life she and I have had tea parties (just like I did with her older sister) on towels in the living room.  We've stomped in puddles and looked at the stars.  We've painted, and worked together building a deck on her little house. 

She starts her days swimming in the hot tub and enjoying the beautiful morning.  At any point in time, she might be working in a garden, moving stones while helping her mom, painting (sometimes when she isn't supposed to), playing in the sand... this small dynamo of non-stop is a ball of pure energy.  In the blink of an eye she is calm, introspective and peaceful. It's equally as common to watch her walking the path her mom has placed around the back yard lost in thought as the day is drawing to a close.  Or to find her snuggled up in a chair somewhere as quiet as a mouse. 


I watch her, much like I watched her sister at that age.  And I silently raise my prayers and hopes for all of us to retain that joy of life that a four year old has.  The wonder.  The fearlessness.  The willingness to try anything.  The complete lack of concern when life turns corners or changes as it so very often does. 

There is magic in it.  In living your best life. 

I truly am on a mission to be more like that sparkling, laughing, bubbly little four year old.  I think it has been slowly working it's way into my heart and head.  I remember the evening she drew me away from a conversation that had evolved into a continuation of work instead of a relaxing fire with friends.  Her sweet little self, still only 3 at the time, needed me to go with her to live our best life.  

It involved a lot of discussion about the torn up dining room floor and how we were turning it into something completely different.  Why did grampa and I want to get rid of the carpet and if it was fun to work on.  The answer... We hated the carpet, but yes it was fun to put in the new tile.  Her little brain thirsty for knowledge needed to know every part of the process.  Again she reminded me so much of her older sister, we'd had an almost identical conversation when she was little. I was blessed with more time with her sister at that age and had far more adventures. 

We ended up sitting on the floor in the living room, having a tea party with the beautiful little Polish pottery tea sets that I had bought long before I ever had grand children.  The little sets have brought so much joy to both of them. I wish I had been able to share them with our oldest grand daughter.

I guess that is why a few short weeks ago, at my sisters innocent question I jumped at the chance to learn a new skill and try a new recipe.  I am feeding my inner four year old's need to learn, discover, experience and find joy in life. 


I am going to be diving deeper into living my best life.  This dipping my toe in, just doesn't feel like enough.  I feel like that crazy little four year old on Easter Sunday by the river in Kentucky.  It was warm, sunny and the water sure looked welcoming. First her toes, then her ankles, then her knees and soon she was dashing in up to her bottom and finally sitting right down.  As she danced and splashed I sat and watched in awe.  

Of course the life hardened adult in me was fearful, even though mom was hovering close enough to snatch her from harms way. In many ways I am ready to jump into the water, splash in the sunshine and live my best life.  In other's I am still that fearful adult, full of what if's and what next's.  

Sitting on the deck last night with Hubs planning the steps needed to launch a dream, I could feel the fear creeping in - all the adult what if's.  I want that dream so badly I can taste it.  I have wanted it for longer than words can say.  Even before Hubs the dream was there. I've nurtured it and fed it the things it needed to stay alive, but never have I been that fearless four year old willing to just do it. 



With the day starting to dawn, the birds and Hubs just waking up, and my coffee getting cold, I feel energized, strong, focused and ready to start the day!  I feel like being a four year old today.  I'm still not ready to do the adult part of following my dream, but the four year old part is ready to jump into the swirling river and splash around!

I am ready to live my best life!

And you my dear friends need to remember to dance like a dervish....

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...