Monday, May 24, 2021

inspiration...

The sun is gently rising here at the tree top garden.  It's a lovely morning, the air is soft and cool.  I decided it was the perfect morning to sit out in the garden, enjoy my coffee and write.  

I love watching the garden come to life.  The tiny sprouts as they break through the rich dark ground, the beautiful buds as they start bursting to life.  From where I am sitting I can see the bright purple flowers that will one day yield the black pod yellow wax beans.  The vibrant color against the green surrounding everything is so inspiring to me. 

It's peaceful out here.  The baby birds are starting to hatch, there has definitely been an increase in my small downy looking friends, they haven't quite learned to be afraid of humans, so they will fly up to the light wires or plant supports and look at me for a few minutes.  Watching them fly is amazing and funny. They are wobbly and unsteady, they haven't yet mastered the skills that will one day have them buzzing past, gracefully sailing from tree to tree.  

These past few weeks have been incredible.  I have so enjoyed the silence and beauty of my tree top garden.  Seeing it throughout the day is something I haven't been able to experience.  If the temperature would stay just like it is now, low 60's I would never leave my sweet little garden.  Unfortunately, this is the Midwest and as soon as the sun breaks firmly over the horizon it will soon be low 80's and I will be miserable.  I will retreat inside once that happens. 


I barely remember a time that I wasn't an early riser.  Seems like it was way back in my early twenties when I started having to be up early to go to work.  I have such a passion for watching the world come to life.  For the sun to break, the birds to start singing, to feel the energy as the world wakes from her slumber.  The critters I listen to in the early morning hours are very different than the night time friends.  


It's a bit more quiet here in the tree top garden than it is down the hill at my girl's house at night.  We share the same woods, our homes are separated by them. Probably less than a football field in length if you don't mind the craggy, slightly steep hill and small forest that is between. Yet at night when the sun goes down, up here it gets quiet, peaceful, still. The canopy life slowly tucks themselves into their snug little nests.  You can hear the steps of the forest animals, the raccoons, deer, opossum, sometimes the small red foxes. Up here, we rarely see them.  Sitting in her yard at night, comes really close to feeling like you are in a horror movie some evenings. It gets dark up here, but not understory of the forest dark. 


I envy her the large flat yard, the spaces that she can fill with all sorts of vegetables and fruits.  I might covet my child's gardening space.  I wouldn't trade her though. My world is filled with bird songs, her's is filled with a wildness that I find a bit disturbing.  I get an occasional skink or turtle visit and we have seen one snake up here since moving in, bless her heart she always has snakes (OK, I understand they are good for keeping pests at a low level - but geeze), lizards, turtles - did I mention snakes? And at least once a year there are several coyote that wander through, her yard is their resting spot sometimes. 


Nope, the tree top garden is more my style, especially as I get older and have a few more struggles with these darn knees. 


Sitting here watching the sun sneak higher into the sky I discovered that I also have a beautiful pea blossom. All of this beauty is making me want to climb the stairs and look for a quilting book I bought many, many years ago.  I can't remember the name right now, but I can picture the quilts so vividly.  If I remember right it is a mother and daughter team one is a photographer the other created quilts based off the photo's of nature. I couldn't help myself... I climbed the stairs... Jean and Valori Wells... and as I have three of their books, you can tell I love them!

Ugghhh... I have a few projects that I need to finish, I need a clean plate. I need to be able to focus on what is important to move forward without being distracted by the left unfinished piles. I simply need no more guilt in my life around unfinished stuff. 

My class yesterday was incredible.  I was sorry Hubs couldn't be there, poor guy ended up with a stomach virus, based on the silence from the man cave, I think he might finally be sleeping. I learned so much.  I am definitely on the right path.  Tons of questions were answered, so many idea seeds were planted that my head actually hurts.  I know the machine I have is not the machine I need and I am working on the plan needed to get the equipment that will make a difference.  

The tricks and tips were "worth the price of admission" as the instructor kept saying and honestly I think I met my spirit animal in her.  She was fun to be around, but her irreverence for the quilt police made my heart soar.  The quilt police alone are one of the main reasons that I refuse to join a guild.  I've had that experience far too many times. 

I am never going to be a quilter that follows the rules.  Art should be personal. Quilts are art. Being told what thread to use, how much and when?  No thank you.  Being told that I have to color inside the lines and if I don't mine isn't good enough.  Nope, that isn't how I roll.  My first grandmother's flower garden is 100% hand pieced and quilted.  It is made from fabrics that I never would have put into a quilt, it didn't matter.  I didn't have a clue how to make it, didn't know it was a very difficult pattern, I simply did it.  It was my great-grandmothers.  It is full of polyester (strange) and a mix of cottons (even some feedsacks) that probably do not belong together.  It is full of love and a rich family history.  I treasure it.  Any quilt guild around would have lost their minds. 

So much is spinning in my head and heart right now, so much research is needed, so much to dig through.  I am setting the intention that I will have the new longarm machine by my birthday month.  I cannot wait for that part of this new journey. 


I think it's time to savor my coffee, enjoy the view and relax for a few minutes.  Hubs is sleeping, the world is silent except for the critters and the random hum of vehicles and air conditioners. 

What kind of joy are you finding in life? Are you taking the moment to soak up the beauty and inspiration around you? How are you going to break the rules and live free and inspired?

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...