Sunday, May 16, 2021

life...

Raindrops are just tapering off.  The air has that crisp earthy smell that follows a sudden downpour.  I was just out back sitting on the deck.  I wanted to play my singing bowl and not disrupt Hubs resting in his chair watching his old movies. The sky was starting to clear, the last drops of the mid-afternoon squall were falling and it sounded like all of the birds in the woods decided to call out to each other at the same time. I love the wildness of the woods.  It's calming to my soul and listening to them harmonize with my singing bowl gave me chills. 

While I was sitting there, lost in thought and staring off into space, the final notes of my bowl ringing in my head I was all the sudden overwhelmed with the mission impossible theme song playing loudly in my head.  So much for a zen moment.  The little nuthatches that have taken up residence in Hubs' Harley Davidson birdhouse crack me up!  I've watched them for a couple of days, but today, well today took the cake.  It was like watching a bad spy movie, the kind where they have their coat collars turned up looking all around to see if they are being followed. 

Here are these two little birds no bigger than a fist with all the feathers on top of their head standing on end, beak full of nest making supplies,  looking all around to make sure they aren't being followed.  Bouncing from light string, to plant stand to planter and then back out into the trees, their little heads on swivel.  They definitely keep me smiling. 


I also caught a squirrel mastering the "squirrel proof" bird feeder this morning.  Smart little buggers when they are hungry.  Showing Hubs the picture cracked me up even more, I'm not sure he realized he described the little fellow as having his "right hand on the frame and his left on the bar".  I could have shoo'd him off, but he'd worked so hard for that snack, I didn't have the heart.  He was leaning a good 16 feet or so over the edge of the deck with nothing but the hard ground to stop his fall if it didn't turn out the way he was planning.  I just couldn't ignore that bravery in his quest for food. 

Hubs and I went to the movies this morning.  If you get the chance to see Here Today - with Billy Crystal, do it.  It is an incredible story that will leave you laughing, crying and searching every emotion and memory that you have.  

It definitely wiggled into my heart and has had me thinking.  Time with family and loved ones is very precious.  None of us know when our journey here will end, and none of us know the angels that we will meet along our path nor who they might be disguised as.  Nor do we know what blessings their time in our lives might bring. My favorite line from the movie? "I'm here today".  Aren't we all?

Cherish those blessings, look for them.  Ironically one of the guys that used to work for me a long bit ago reached out to me today.  Wanted to let me know how his life is going and to show me a picture of his newest kitty (he and his lady rescue kitties).  It was out of nowhere.  I last heard from him in December, he has had a rough path, yet his heart remains pure. 

I am a very blessed woman.  I have had so many angels in my life.  Some of them have flitted through and I almost missed them, others are now permanent pieces of my journey and I could not be more thankful.  I want to cherish and celebrate all the pieces that make me whole. I want to continue to find time to sit quietly and enjoy the rain.  I want to be present when with my loved ones and friends. I want to enjoy this journey, because truthfully it will be gone in the blink of an eye.  


I believe that I am ready to start my research, to start putting together the bits for the next phase of where I am supposed to go. Life is beautiful.  Go out and walk in the rain, play music with song birds, immerse yourself in the energy of this beautiful planet.  

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...