Thursday, May 27, 2021

distracted...

I planned to write yesterday, I had the best of intentions to do so.  Hubs and I even got up super early to try and see the lunar eclipse and got some great pictures of the early morning sunrise sneaking through the clouds.

But... I made a mistake, I curled up in my favorite chair with a little project I had purchased on our first trip to Paducah.  It's been waiting patiently up in my sewing room, and while I was testing out my machine the other day it caught my eye. 

I finished the two quilts on Monday and was trying to gather the courage to start my block of the month.  I've discovered I don't have as much faith in myself as I should. That block of the month is in a style I love - I absolutely adore working on applique, it's the reason I picked it, I can get completely lost telling a story in fabric. Losing myself in the tiny stitches while "painting" with bits and pieces of fabric and thread. I hadn't taken the time to do that kind of work in forever!  

In fact the last quilt I did that way was a one I made for my boy a lifetime ago.  I was using the Overall Sam pattern to create the story of his youth up to that point when a dear friend of his drowned in a strip pit lake near our homes. The final block was one on he and Jamal shooting hoops. He loves that silly little quilt, it healed my heart a bit to make it.  But I needed to walk away for a bit to heal the rest of the way. I just didn't think it would end up being almost 24 years. 

As the block is going to be part of a year long project, I decided I'd better work on the small project to make sure I remembered how. 


I remember, in fact I remember and love it so much, that I lost almost 7 hours yesterday. Listening to an intriguing and thought provoking YouTube series and stitching away, I was completely oblivious to space and time.  It was incredible!

Until sweet Hubs reminding me that his healing tummy was grumbling for food.  I decided today I'd better address some of the other things in my daily routine before I gathered up the supplies once again to work on my little wall hanging. I should probably even do some housework, I may have reawakened quite an addiction. I didn't even make it to the quilting frames. 

I am not used to having so much time for the things that fill my soul.  It's strange.  I'm starting to think I am like a kid in a candy store.  I need to work on my self-control and focusing on all aspects of life.  I am developing tunnel vision.  Not good!  But oh so much fun!

I am still trying to develop a rhythm to my days.  Some structure and order, I know me.  That kid is the candy shop will go absolutely bonkers if allowed to run amok. Meals will not get cooked, chores will not get done, responsibility will not be my thing.  I need a framework that I have to follow.  Because I can forget about most everything when wrapped up in something I love.  

My mom used to get so mad at me when I was a kid, because I would easily chose to read a good book all day and ignore the world.  "Got your nose in a book again" was a common theme.  

I haven't been in this role long enough without distractions to have developed that theme, the flow or rhythm of life.  Week one was completely wasted, week two Hubs was on a scheduled vacation (his sis was supposed to come visit), week three I was starting to develop my normal - while getting ready for that dreaded yard sale, and this week Hubs has been home sick.  So... everything is haphazard and I might have to go back to being the queen of lists.  

Lists for projects, lists for meals, lists for chores and lists for bills.  Those seem to be my major categories that need focus. Is it ironic they as I typed it... projects was first?

Who knows... 

Sitting here in the midst of the supplies for my block I feel that I need to move away, start working on my chores and fixing the homemade chicken noodle soup I promised hub.  My eyes keep drifting to the threads and block.  My fingers are feeling drawn... I think I'd better get busy.  Because before long, I will find another series to get lost in while I finish up this sweet little picture... 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...