Friday, May 28, 2021

adventures await...

Dreary, wet and cold.  Yep, this clan sure knows when to plan a camping/floating trip.  Last week it was miserable hot, almost unbearable.  I was absolutely dreading camping in that kind of weather.  I do not like to be hot.  Not in the least! So I guess I had better not complain when the temperature drops to around forty tonight.  Gonna be loading up some serious quilts and heavier blankets. Hadn't planned jackets, now I am thankful for the collection of waterproof Trout jackets we have. 

I am looking forward to all the fresh air.  Time in nature fills my bucket. I will admit I am a bit hesitant to float in colder weather, I am sure the view will be breathtaking, the unspoiled view usually is.  But that water is going to be nippy.  I am not sure how these stupid knees are going to handle climbing in and out of the raft.  They aren't very stable right now and moving them takes a great deal of effort.  It will definitely be an experience!

I can't wait to sit outside with the family, to laugh and to carry on.  Sounds like the girls are plotting a good time, I am sure they will sleep well to put it mildly. The whole family won't be together, some extended family is joining us, yet, I will miss the ones not with us.  I am going to seriously celebrate the time we spend with those that will be gathering together.  Cold and wet or not! I am so filled with gratitude for every moment in time that I get with Hubs and the kiddos.

This will be our first family adventure ever with Hubs' oldest daughter, hard to believe we only met her less than a year ago.  She, and her whole branch of the family, fits our puzzle perfectly and we cherish the time with them.  It is the first camping trip in far too long with the girl and the family.  I think the last time we camped together we still had our land in Sullivan, about 9 years ago. Time definitely flies. 

I selected a primitive camp site for us. For a couple of reasons.  Some of my fondest memories of camping where with Hubs and the boy at Crappie Cove in Illinois at Carlyle. Gathering sticks for our little fires, fishing together, fighting the chill as we washed our hair in the cold water, before we got smart enough to warm it.  The crispness of our breath and coffee/cocoa as we sat outside in the morning haze and enjoyed time together.  The boy has always had a sharp wit and he could reduce Hubs to absolutely tears of laughter with just a random comment or quip. 

I could have probably chosen a cabin or a less primitive site, ya know the kind with water and electric.  I just didn't feel compelled to do that. Besides the cabins were going to require me bringing as much stuff as camping and cost me over $50 per night more. I am longing for the closeness that roughing it brings.  The joy of cooking over a grill (yep, I did resort to a gas grill - I'm not completely nuts!).  Sitting by a warm fire and just enjoying the family.  It's going to feel wonderful. 

We probably didn't coordinate as well as we should have, the girls' site is close to ours, but the oldest girls site is further away.  She has a camper, they don't do well in the primitive sites. It's all good, we will get some exercise walking to each other and I am sure sweet Hubs will make at least a dozen friends. He can't help himself. 

yesterday morning
Me... well, I'll be the silent one walking beside him.  I'm not big into making new friends. In fact I am trying to figure out what kind of project to bring with me. For the two hour drive I will finish up my wall hanging, but then what? I don't want to expose my precious block of the month to the elements and I don't really have anything else in the works right now. It's actually been working its way through my brain since yesterday. I don't even have a knitting or crochet project set up, I have babies coming, but don't know if they are boys or girls so don't really want to start sweaters, although I guess I could make one of each so I am ready.  I know that I will go nuts if my hands have to be still for three days!  Yikes! Might have to spend quality time looking for beautiful crystals, rocks... oooh this might be the weekend I finally find my hag stone! Running water and all. 

last night

I guess I'd better get back to work.  I didn't pack yesterday, I'm working on Hubs' family recipe for baked beans, and I need to make some lists.  Honestly, it's been so long since we've camped that I am afraid that I will forget a crucial element. 

I'm looking forward to sitting around with Hubs' and the family, talking about nonsensical stuff, dreaming out loud under the stars. I'm looking forward to roasting marshmallows and laughter. 

Hubs' said the most awesome thing yesterday, he told me that I am happier and less stressed than I have been in so long.  It gave me pause for a moment... but he's right.  Even these stupid knees aren't making me fussy or causing me to be snappy.  It brought me great joy and an equal amount of sadness to realize that I had been reflecting that amount of emotion onto my loved ones.  But here is to happier times in life!

Off to chase some joy.... See you later this weekend... 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...