Sunday, May 2, 2021

memories and moments...

Spring rains are the best!  

the view through the patio screen

It is gently raining outside and Hubs and I have been sitting out there for hours.  I hurried about getting my garden pots tidied up, fresh soil and a huge assortment of plants.  There are tomatoes, peppers, radishes, lettuce, peas, snow peas, carrots, spaghetti squash, green beans and black seeded yellow beans, I'm trying my hand at edamame and maybe the cow peas will do even better this year.  I am hopeful.  And of course there will be okra.  Hard to believe that much variety will all grow in my little treetop garden. 

This whole day has been mild, it didn't start raining until later in the day.  I was worried I was dressed too warm this morning, as I was a bit chilled and opted for jeans and a long sleeve shirt when we headed out to the cemetery.  It's Dad's birthday and we definitely wanted to honor him. My heart is well aware that he is not there. My head said do it anyway. Not only was I not over dressed, I ultimately needed a sweater.

It was almost too hot for my tastes yesterday as we gathered with multiple generations of our family to start my sister's birthday week.  She is joining a couple of us in the 50 club later this week.  And my girl hosted an incredible party, complete with all the "old lady staples"... ya know... crafts, bingo, alcohol... 






It's been a weekend of connections. With all the family that was physically here.  And the ones far away that I was blessed to talk to.  I even got a few minutes with my sweet boy, online so I could even see his sweet face!  The only sister not here this weekend gave me a call a few hours ago and we talked for quite a bit.  The only one I haven't talked to since Friday is mom.  I usually do not get to spend that much time with loved ones.  It was great!



Other than getting the garden in, I have been super lazy today.  I am sure the long day of sunshine and heat on Saturday with little sleep the night before, seems I am waking up at 3:33 almost every night again. It keeps up and I will definitely need to be sorting that out. And an equally long day of fresh air today have helped me feel calm and peaceful.  






Hubs was seriously teasing me as I was digging in my planters.  He says that I am in my element when I am busy in a garden.  Sure hope he's right, because I have been toying with a few ideas and felt ready to jump in with both feet (that could become a reoccurring theme this year - fair warning alert!) and I ordered a medicinal garden seed set.  I have been dabbling in natural remedies and such for a bit, and decided to plant the ones I am missing.  Teas and tinctures await!



I have a few planters that are still empty.  They will hold herbs I have decided.  I need some basil, oregano, of course cilantro and you can never go wrong with rosemary.  The thyme was the only one that held true to its word and came back.  The rest well... they definitely did not fair as well. I know herbs are supposed to be perennials - mine failed.  

I still want a huge pot of lavender, yet I have succeeded in killing it three years in a row.  My neighbor up the street, harvested a huge amount from her's.  I simply don't believe it wants to grow in a pot. I'm going to get with her and find out where she has it planted.  If it needs sun, I am going to be out of luck, as the only sun my yard gets is my deck.  Time will tell. 

As I planted a bit and read a bit, I simply relaxed with my feet up I soaked up the sunshine of the morning and the cool misty air of the afternoon.  The birds have been dashing in and out of the 3 feeders we have up, we will fill the hummingbird feeder tomorrow in the hopes of welcoming those precious little ones to the treetop garden.  It has been so peaceful and fulfilling.

I feel the universe has definitely been talking to me a lot lately.  Scrolling social media there are quotes that are perfect for my space and my heart.  Random friends have been reaching out and filling my heart with messages of love.  The beauty of the weekend filled with family and friends.  All of it feels designed to reassure me that I am walking in the right direction. 

For as long as I can remember the Footprints poem has provided me with strength and guidance.  It resonates super loudly now.  And as I flipped through things today, the "dust if you must poem" showed up in my feed. So much that I need is right there for me. 

I am truly blessed. 

I have things to do, but honestly, there is tomorrow in which to do them.  Tonight, I will fix a cup of tea, cozy up in my jammies and enjoy listening to the rainfall while I scroll through patterns to pick out my next knitting project for travel times. I have finished all of them that I have been working on and need to have that travel bag ready I do not sit well, and if I have to wait for anything without my hands doing something it makes me crazy. I might go through some of my unfinished projects - goodness knows there are enough of them. And I might just start focusing on finishing them up before starting something more. 

Tonight... I shall rest.  

Well dear friends, it's time to rest.  I am weary.  I wanted a nap today, I talked myself out of it, I am now reconsidering the wisdom of that... 

I will leave you with my favorite quote of the day "You are not lazy, unmotivated or stuck.  After years of living in survival mode, you are exhausted.  There is a difference." - unknown....

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...