Thursday, May 13, 2021

sit a spell...

Do you know what the perfect ending to a beautiful spring day is?  Sitting on the cold ground, coloring in chalk and listening to the wisdom of a four year old. When my old bones felt the ground was too cold that sweet, precious baby went and got me a pad to sit on.  All she wanted was my undivided attention.

We explored rocks, talked about the drawing she was making, believe it or not - we talked about meditation.  One of the family cats was sitting just outside the fire pit line staring into the forest, he hadn't moved for probably five minutes and we were joking that he was meditating.  My sweet little grand daughter immediately demonstrated the yoga pose she uses.  Legs crossed, fingers pinched in a circle and arms at her sides, with her eyes closed.  

She's four, yet her soul must be thousands of years old.  It is so easy to get drawn into a deep conversation with her.  She reminds me of her uncle, he was the same way when he was little.  He was a serious conversationalist when he was young, now... not unless you are sitting together face to face.  He loathes the phone and conversations online only last so long. 

Hubs and I went over so he could put the girl's windshield wiper blades on her truck.  Evidently it was something that has been needed for a bit, but she didn't want to ask.  Kids.  After that little task was done we spent time chatting, laughing, digging through rocks - I love that my kid and grandkid's take after me and can get totally lost in the act of looking for rocks.  I'd mentioned to my girl that I was hoping to find a hag-stone, which resulted in her showing me several of hers. She is a very lucky person to have found so many. We also looked at the collection of fossils and gems that she found in the woods and talked about going to Haunted Ridge Rocks to search for some durzy quartz.  

The only thing keeping me from going crystal hunting is my immense fear of snakes and they seem to be out in mass lately.  I keep trying to tell myself that most of the snakes in Missouri are non-venomous and more afraid of me than I am of them.  And bam just like that I remember I am terrified of snakes.  Although, I really do think I will head to Haunted Ridge Rocks soon, it intrigues me. Maybe I can get the girls to come with Hubs and I when we go. 


Hubs and I sat on the deck for hours yesterday, physically unproductive.  Emotionally, it was so healing.  We worked together to paint the hummingbird feeder, it was clear with a nondescript looking base and top, the red flowers had faded from being in the sun.  We'd seen a few hummingbirds at our daughters house, but none here at the top of the hill.  Her yard is awash in red, ours isn't.  As I had the paint out I finally touched up the colors on a beautiful plant trellis that sweet Hubs bought me many years ago when we first got married.  I cherish it and forever I've been meaning to get around to painting it again.  Yesterday seemed like the perfect time. 


It is so very therapeutic to sit for hours and watch the birds. A little conversation, a little quilting and lots of bird watching.  The hummingbird found the feeder almost as soon as it was reassembled, there are cowbirds, cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, finches, tufted titmouse, chickadee and both pine and rose breasted grosbeaks. Yesterday an indigo bunting joined the party. The woodpecker shows up quite frequently, but only when none of the others are around. Our beautiful little tree top garden is a perfect spot for bird watching.

Sitting out there among our feathered visitors is so relaxing.  Watching them fearlessly perch on tiny branches, they have no reason to fear, they trust their own wings.  A lesson we humans could stand to learn.

As you can tell yesterday involved a lot of time enjoying the fresh air and relaxing.  

For sweet Hubs this vacation has been all about relaxing.  We'd like to catch at least one or two motorcycle rides, it's been so long.  Mother Nature has been a bit intent on holding the temperature just below where we like to ride.  It's not as much fun when you are shivering. Tomorrow and Saturday are looking semi-promising.  I might just have to let my sweet Hubs drive my bug and go wander around.  It's wind therapy with a heater. 

Maybe I will get that little quilt finished today.  I'm anxious to start on another one, although I'm trying to work linear for a bit and complete one project before beginning another.  It's going to depend on how my finger feels.  Trying to teach myself to use a thimble again, my poor finger is horribly punctured and painful.  It's really slow going. Or maybe we will pack a picnic lunch and go explore somewhere.  We may even clean out a few more areas. 

Who knows what this beautiful day might bring, another opportunity to enjoy our lives together, is all I am asking for.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...