Thursday, May 20, 2021

wild side...

Curled up in my chair, hot coffee in my cup, a million thoughts running through my mind.  I am in a good place.  Mentally and physically. 

Yesterday when Hubs got home from work he suggested "let's drop the top and take a ride", what kind of girl says no to that?  We decided it was a perfect day to head to Lone Elk Park, I don't know why it took us so long to go, but I am so thankful that we finally discovered it.  If it hadn't been so late in the day, we would probably have gone across the road to the Wild Bird Sanctuary also.  We are so blessed to have these sanctuaries so close to our home.  Less than six miles away and it took us years to go, figures.  

All of the roads were opened at the park, so we went in search of the elk, they were quite evasive yesterday, we'd only seen two for about the first forty-five minutes or so and we almost gave up on seeing them.  Both of us a little concerned that the sink hole had threatened them too much.  The lake is just about gone, just a remnant of it's former self.  

Sadly water is still running into the hole.  It's fairly significant in size.  I understand that happens with man-made lakes, I am just very concerned about the elk, deer and fowl that have come to depend on that water source.  The bison have multiple water sources.  Hubs and I counted 2 ponds and a small lake, not bad for a herd their size. I am sure the rangers are monitoring it and doing everything they can to come up with a remedy.  I just worry about them.  It's a blessing and a curse for them to live at the park.  They are protected, have acreage to spare, veterinarians to take care of them, etc... but... what about when something like this happens?  They can't move on to another area that can support them. 

water still flowing in



such a sad view

People are pretty arrogant and ignorant also.  There are signs everywhere that ask you to leave the wild life alone - especially the elk, they can be most unfriendly, not to bring any dogs and not to feed the animals. As we were driving around very slowly enjoying all the park has to offer we came across two young adults harassing the geese. The geese were simply protecting their nests and being well geese in an area that is currently closed, so no reason for them to be anywhere near them.  Yet there they were, chasing and stomping at them.  Why?

This guy... ❤❤❤

hello little one

So muddy... I'd love to have that fleece to spin


When we finished observing the bison, they are so beautiful, and enjoying the new baby way out in the field we slowly drove through the rest of their portion.  I was hoping to see a wild turkey or two, but it wasn't to be. Instead, we saw the most adorable raccoon making a feast out of what appeared to be potato salad someone had thrown on the road.  Several problems with that one, first potato salad is probably not on any of their natural diets and secondly - the road?  It's narrow and barely wide enough for the vehicles and the animals in the park are used to people and cars.  They don't move, nor are they aware that vehicles are dangerous.  I can't tell you how frustrated it made me. 




People. 

I am also sure there is a reason they do not want dogs in the park, probably for the same reasons we didn't want them in our cow pastures when I lived on the farm in Washington.  If you are asked to not, then be respectful and don't. Seems pretty simple to me.  So I was a bit shocked when the minivan that had been following us through the bison area, pulled over just after we got back to the elk area and someone got out to walk their dog. 




I just don't understand people. 

We took another drive past the lake, still looking for those elusive elk.  Caught a better view of the sink hole and felt the devastation it was causing.  You could see the fish that remain swirling, there were no turtles, and massive areas of mud filled with prints.  It was so very sad to see. I worry about the animals and fear for the fate of the ones that were near the hole when it opened up. 

As we headed out we made the usual conversations about the huge burl that is on one of the trees on the exit drive, what could have caused it, how very large it is for such a thin tree, etc.  Wondering what it would look like inside the outer layer of bark.


Then just like magic three of the most beautiful elk appeared, they'd found a cozy spot right near the exit.  Lying there in all their glory, soaking up the late afternoon warmth.  It was beautiful. They were beautiful. I'm not stupid, but my fingers longed to touch those downy soft antlers. They are so beautiful!  I have to admit I was quite mesmerized by the one guy.  I also have a favorite bison.  I guess I'm drawn to the strong, brawny type. 

❤ this guy!

We paused for quite awhile, enjoying the moment, they were calm and we were non-threatening.  I don't think they were even ten feet away from my car.  I definitely stayed very alert to that fact.  As long as they were going to sit there, I was going to soak it all in.  Those beautiful brown eyes looking straight into my soul made the world feel calm and normal. 

As we headed across the cattle bridge I was thankful.  Hubs had no way of knowing that I had longed to go for the past few days.  I love being able to simply observe, surrounded by the trees and wild life.  I'm not sure I will ever be brave enough to have a picnic there, although there are picnic benches scattered throughout the elk area. I have a healthy respect for those fabulous beasts of the wild.  I am so blessed to be married to someone that randomly suggests we go somewhere that I wanted without my having to ask him.



Even the not so fabulous beasts will hold my attention, as definitely evidenced by my fascination with our crafty little squirrel out back. We should move the feeder back up, but I can't bring myself to do it.  He's discovered that he can sit on the clay pot - far sturdier and lean against the marigolds to reach the feeder easily and eat to his heart and bellies content. The birds have two other feeders and they really don't seem to like the red one at all.  So why shouldn't that crafty little bugger enjoy his moment?

I played a lot yesterday, so today and tomorrow will definitely have to involve a lot of preparation for Saturday, unless I want to give up sleep Friday night, and well... that is not a thing. It's time for me to get with it.   Even if I do long to go sit out back, or take another trip to the park to see if that one bison that appeared to be in labor delivered a calf. 

Nope... it's focus time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...