Thursday, June 30, 2022

daily life...

The sounds of big band music are drifting down as Hubs gets ready to start his busy day.  He'll be on the road a lot today, running here and there. So of course we started the morning with a nice fire out in the treetop garden.  

For all of last weeks brutal heat, this week has been so mild and pleasant.  I admit to spending far too much time out in the garden.  We were talking this morning about how quickly it is staying darker in the mornings.  Summer solstice was only a week ago, but the sky didn't lighten until almost 5:15 am.  Last week it was light before 5 am.  So quickly it changes, from the longest day to the shortest day and back again.  It feels so much more dramatic this year than in years past.  

Sitting in the garden the birds were letting me know that their feeders are woefully empty and they would definitely appreciate a refill.  I also caught sight of the white and gray squirrels playing high in the branches, jumping gracefully from tree to tree. I love watching them, as long as they aren't in my garden. 

There is a lot to do today, I seem to have the bad habit of getting distracted and of coming up with more and more ideas to do.  Me working on projects in silence is super bad.  It means that I have time to day dream, scheme and plan... that is frightening. 




I planted my rescued tomato plant this morning.  The roots were filling the glass I had stuck it into when I hoped that it would be able to be saved.  I made sure to put it into rich soil, filled with ground egg shells, coffee grounds, worm casings, organic fertilizer and epsom salt.  It's already had a nice drink so we will see how it does.  My fingers are crossed!  I need to take the time to plant the celery that I started from the scraps.  It looks nice and healthy, so time to get it planted and see where it goes. 

I'm also getting ready to give my herbs a haircut.  Time to dehydrate a few of them, so that the plants keep growing and stay strong. Our house will smell so good.  I love the scent of fresh herbs.  Basil, oregano, thyme, sage and rosemary.  I won't dry too much of the basil, we use basil fresh in many ways. I'm also going to dry out some of the celery that I planted earlier this year. I am so excited to fill my herb and spice cabinet with my own home grown herbs. 

As I was scrolling the book this morning, on one of my gardening groups someone posted that we need to do away with luscious lawns and plants gardens and then share the bounty with one another.  I have to admit that I was quite pleased to know I am not the only one that feels that way. It sort of had an affirming vibe to it. Somehow, at some point in time we stopped taking care of not only ourselves, but others.  I pray we go back to that some day. 

Hubs is on vacation the next couple of days, we're not going anywhere or doing anything, we are simply hanging around the house and working on honey do's.  I have a couple of quilts to finish and he has various projects that he wants to tackle.  We spent time this morning making our honey do lists.  Most of mine is simply an extension of my normal work, his is stuff that he's wanted to do, but hasn't had the time. There is a prediction of rain all weekend, so we figured it was the perfect time to tackle it. 

We are still working on cleaning out stuff that we have acquired over the years but no longer use.  Things that served us well in the past, but for various reasons we no longer need them or use them now.  They are just gathering dust and in the way, it's time for them to move on.  So we will spend a bit of time getting a few of those things cleaned out also.  Honestly, it will feel amazing to move some of the clutter out and be able to check a few boxes off as complete. Some of it we will sell, some of it we will gift to friends or family that can use it.  And some of it we will donate to a local charity. Plain and simple, it's time. 

I am finding less and less of a need for those items that we once used, but are holding on to for the "if come".  Some things simply never have an "if come".  It's time for them to go on to homes that need them.  It feels like it is going to be a very busy weekend.  It will also be very rewarding.  Honestly, I love doing projects with Hubs.  We are a great team and it makes short work of a project when we handle it together. 


Well... I feel lost in a ramble today.  My mind is bouncing around all of the things I want and need to accomplish.  Instead of bouncing any longer, it's time to get with it.... have an amazing and wonder filled day!

love and peace...



No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...