Friday, June 17, 2022

helping hands...

I woke up this morning to the loud crash of the tree outside slamming against the chimney cap.  I could hear the winds whipping and roaring.  As I lay in bed I was praying for my little treetop garden. Its light enough for me to have checked on it.  It isn't pretty.  I'm not sure the amount of damage done yet, fairly sure I've lost at least one tomato plant and the green beans are taking a beating also.  Almost everything is literally lying on it's side. I must say it is very disheartening to wake up to that.  I've worked so hard on my little garden.  Once the wind and rain stop, I will go out and see if I can salvage anymore of it.  Right now, it's a sad mess. 

After a week of hot temperatures in rolls a wild and crazy thunderstorm.  I had expected it to a degree, the forecast had called for it, that doesn't mean it is something to celebrate.  I am very thankful that so far it hasn't brought hail or a tornado with it.  

Definitely shows you how fragile the balance is when you are trying to be more self-sufficient.  I do not expect my little treetop garden to provide all of our needs, not even close.  But it feels like a small promise of hope as prices escalate to the point that you really have to question every purchase. If I had expected that garden to provide our nourishment, I would be crushed right now.  

I am hoping that most of the plants in the boxes surrounding my deck are strong enough to bend as the old country song says.  I will find out in a few hours. Planter boxes do not provide a great deal of root depth, so it is always a gamble. I long to be able to plant a true garden again, but sadly my property simply doesn't provide that opportunity.




I hadn't planned to write about this today, in fact I didn't know what I was going to write about (that is pretty much how it goes on any day).  This sudden storm definitely drives home so much of where my head and heart are at right now. 

Last night we drove over to our friends house, the ones that were going to can with me yesterday.  Life happened and there was an emergency, so it got delayed.  I didn't want their preparations to go to waste, so I offered to come pick up and get it done today.  We swap serves for one another and they will smoke some meats for us. It was almost dusk when we got there and all of us had a small giggle when we thought about how it must look like we were doing our own drug exchange in the street.  They live in the city, drug deals are not that uncommon.   I had picked some things up for them while in Arkansas, so there was even a cash exchange. We haha'd it off we continued to chat, enjoying visiting for a few moments in the sweltering humidity.

It wasn't until we were heading home that the truth to that small joke really hit me.  And then I simply couldn't stop laughing.  Not so much in the fact that it was funny, it wasn't, it was actually semi-terrifying. In the not too distant future that could be what happens. People meeting in alley's to exchange food items, like some backyard black market. Will they bring their armed guards like some cheesy Mad Max movie?  Or maybe it will be like all of the bootleg movies, smuggling in tomatoes or a pork chop.  Is that the future that we are looking at?  Is that the path that we are sliding down?  I felt a sense of hysteria accompanied the laughter.  I could see it as clear as day in my minds eye, it felt ugly.  

Everyday I pray that things will become "normal" again.  And by normal, I mean I would love for people to have the things they need and want without fear of the costs.  I was stunned when I reached for the brand of heavy cream that we buy, it was over $10 for a quart.  I used to be upset when it was pushing $5.  Needless to say, I didn't get the preferred item.  I bought the generic one.  Oddly, it seems the things going up the most are the healthier items.  Unhealthy stuff still seems to be a bargain. Wonder why?  But then that dollar menu crap was always less expensive than a salad.... go figure. 

The storm outside is still raging, lightning bolts keep shooting across the sky, rapidly followed by thunder that you can actually feel. According to the news that Hubs is listening to it is leaving the area.  According to what is outside the window... well... it had better be hustling.  There are pictures of huge trees coming down on homes and cars, I guess I shouldn't be so upset over a few tomato plants, there is always a silver lining. 

I am still looking for the silver lining that is waiting for us in the midst of the storm this world is going through.  Are we close to the eye of the storm?  Or even better are we going through the back side of it?  While working yesterday, I heard of several mid-west states dealing with power outages - the grid can't handle the excessive heat. Yellowstone National Park is pretty much destroyed due to flooding.  Odessa, Texas was without water for at least 2 or 3 days and are still struggling to get it back.  The pacific northwest is cold and wet, more so than usual.  There are fires raging in the south, destroying homes and land. What in the world is going on?  I belong to groups made up of everyday people all over the world, these "unique" happenings are not just here in our country.  They are global. And that is just a tiny snapshot of the things that are going on all around us.  

The puppies have a new friend

He wants to play with the deer

A long time ago, I was watching a show - and the host said, there will come a time when the only way we can affect change is at the most immediate level.  He was referring to our families and our immediate community.  It stuck with me.  It seems almost prophetic at this point.  

I have a dear friend in Florida, that continues to post the most awesome updates on his time spent with another friend from high school that is battling cancer, literally fighting for his life.  The most recent picture of a pizza box and the smile gave me hope.  Filled me with joy for all that it represents.  My friend has a family, with younger children, but still makes the time to lift his lifelong friend up, to be there and make sure that he knows he is surrounded with love and hope.  I started to say find's time, but the truth is, when things are important you don't find time, you make time. They are living proof of doing what you can to affect change. 

I am blessed to be surrounded by people from all walks of life, that have a depth of beliefs, thoughts and feelings.  Some are youngsters, some are older, there isn't a standard to anything at all about my tribe.  Other than the people I surround myself with are all people that go above and beyond to lift those around them up.  My friends span countries, live immensely different lifestyles.  I am so absolutely amazed at the wonderful people this life has put in my path. I am in awe of their willingness to step into voids and to lift those around them. 

Just like my friend yesterday, when she called to let me know of the emergency.  I could hear in her voice that she was tired.  Yet there she was rushing to help someone in need.  Yes, it is what she does for a living, but this was an above and beyond situation and she never hesitated. 

I am thankful that life has afforded me the ability to play the supporting role to my family and friends.  Today as I take care of helping my friends, my heart will be full.  It is a blessing that I am thankful for. 

I believe the current quote from Mr. Rogers, is to look for the helpers.... I want to always be that helper, because what I have discovered is that when you are the helper, so very many helpers are there for you.  Isn't that how life is supposed to come together?  Aren't we supposed to work together to life one another up?

monitoring life...

It's well past that 6:45 end of the storm, and it is still raging out of control.  It's time to fix the Hubs some breakfast, warm up my coffee and start the day.  I need to gather the jellies and jams that I am trading for some mason jars, I definitely wasn't going to miss an opportunity like that. Yep, it's time to start the day officially...

Try to be the helper... take time to lift up someone and bring some light into this world...

love and peace... 



No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...