Saturday, June 25, 2022

a trip to the countryside...

Been on the struggle bus today.  My wake up time was 1:11 am.  Not by choice.  Seems the neighbors had friends over and that was the time they decided to move their screaming argument outside.  It was loud enough to not only wake the puppies sleeping on the second floor in the back of the house, but sustained enough for them to not go back to bed for quite a while. 

There are times that I am so envious of sweet Hubs and his hearing loss. Once the chaos started it was on-going for about 30 minutes.  I'm really sorry that her actions led his friends to think he was a total asshole - yup that one is a direct quote.  The fact that the world was slightly a dumpster fire yesterday, led me to refrain from opening the door and yelling out that the neighbors would have to agree. Sadly those particular neighbors are not very neighborly or considerate, so it was a reasonable assumption that their friends fell into the same category.  That and the fact that they were screaming at each other in the middle of the night in a neighborhood they do not live in...

I tried for hours to get back to sleep, I was so very exhausted.  My brain was simply not taking the hint.  Just like now.  Hubs is snoozing away, the puppies are snoozing away and my brain is marching forward with its to do list.  All of the things it wants me to get done today. All of the things I need to do today. 

Around 7:00 am I decided I'd just get up.  Wandered to the treetop garden with my coffee and sat, the puppies wanted attention and I figured sitting there half asleep was just as useful as lying in bed staring at the clock that didn't want to stop moving forward. Hubs joined me for smoothies and chatting while I finally got motivated enough to harvest all those pretty little yellow tomatoes, they were glistening like gold nuggets in the early morning sunshine. 

Going over our plans for the day I mentioned that I had wanted to go to the farmers market, but wasn't sure I was willing to go into the city. I also said I wished that Farmington wasn't so far away as their was an awesome Mennonite/Amish market there that I was longing to go back to. Honestly, with gas the way it is I felt like I was being a bit selfish wanting to do something like that. 

sheer joy heading out for the day

so tired on the trip home... 

Hubs on the other hand jumped at the opportunity! We showered the pups (yikes did they ever need it) and got ourselves ready.  Jumped in my little SUV and we were off on an adventure.  The pups were excited to get to go for a ride, I think they have been missing their adventures. 



I had only been there once with one of my friends last summer and had misplaced the flyer with the address, I have no idea why I never thought to simply look it up online.  Maybe I didn't figure it would be there, but there it was - only 83 miles from our doorstep. It's cash only, although I did notice they take checks for a fee.  There is a sign asking that you dress conservatively and do not wear low cut tops.  I'd chosen to wear a v-neck this morning and felt slightly guilty for it. 

Anyone need 2 turtle doves
or a bunny?  These young men 
can help you out!

As we wandered around the pole barn filled with amazingly fresh produce and handmade items, both Hubs and I had a great time.  I can assure you I have a large amount of canning to do this afternoon, but the produce was literally fresh from the farm, they kept bringing it in the whole time we were there. It was beautiful, fresh, firm, ripened in the field.  We determined it was worth the drive and then some.  We bought several heirloom varieties and Hubs even found himself two new belts.  And I will admit to picking up a few packets of seeds, saved fresh from their harvest. 





After spending a bit of time there we headed back to the blueberry farm that we'd passed driving in.  Puppies were welcome and we wanted to pick some berries.  Hubs got distracted with the babies and took them running in an empty field while I picked berries.  It's been so long since I picked blueberries.  It was something I always took my kids to do when we lived in Washington state.  The whole time I was wishing my youngest grand wasn't out of town, because I am fairly positive that she would have loved the experience. 

It wasn't what we planned to do today.  It was 100% spur of the moment.  It was absolutely wonderful.  

Here in the city, things are a little out of sorts right now.  Folks are highly charged and the fire is being force fed.  Out there, in the country, life was very different.  Very calm, very nurturing of one another.  It was definitely what I needed.  

This world of ours is definitely going through some stuff.  Honestly, this year is harsher than the two previous.  And I don't think it's going to calm for a long while yet.  Who knows if it will happen in my lifetime.  I've opted to just keep living my life. 

If anyone is looking for me, I'll be expanding and tending my garden. Taking care of my puppies, loving my family, doing the things.  I might be knitting dish cloths, I might be working on quilts, I might be making soap or g-tube bibs.  It all depends on the needs of my suburban homestead on that day and at that time. 

What I won't be doing is loosing my stuffing over things that are swirling around about me.  It all feels like a "b" movie or a game.  I'm watching people being manipulated and feeling shock at the sheer volume of misleading and inaccurate statements being bandied about.  And honestly, it's from every side, so... the television doesn't need to be turned on. 

Instead, I'm going to stay very, very busy.  I am going to continue my happy slide into the life that Hubs and I are creating for ourselves.  My little house in the burbs is my happy place.  There are battles that are mine to fight, and those I will participate in.  The things swirling right now, are not mine. 


Well, I'm still super tired, but I have so much beautiful produce that is waiting for my attention.  The garden needs an afternoon watering - it's crazy hot today.  I need to focus on what truly impacts Hubs and I.  

love and peace...

1 comment:

  1. Good one! And... No one does leather work like the Amish! 381+

    ReplyDelete

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...