Saturday, June 4, 2022

busy living...

I got up early enough to catch the beautiful sunrise this morning.  It was so beautiful, seriously had me questioning why I wasn't waking up earlier so I could enjoy it daily.  The backyard had a brilliant orange glow, the camera definitely did not do it justice. It felt so wonderful to be out in my garden enjoying the start of the day, maybe that is the key to my lack of motivation in the mornings lately?  Who knows. 

It definitely inspired me today.  We had a friend over for dinner last night and Hubs insisted on cutting open the black diamond watermelon in the fridge.  It was wonderful, as we sort of knew it would be, and of course I couldn't let the rind go to waste.  So I carefully cut it all up and got it soaking to be ready for making preserves first thing this morning.  

After I enjoyed my coffee in the garden, savoring that sunrise, I got busy. This is really the first time I've sat down for more than a few minutes.  And honestly I should go out and give Hubs a hand with the mowing, but I am guessing he is almost done.  Either that or something is wrong with the mower.  

The first thing I did was work on those preserves, they look like sunshine in a jar.  I am so glad that I got brave enough to try that old recipe.  Hubs loves it and I have gifted a few jars to friends, waiting to hear their thoughts, but I will always make it for Hubs now even if they don't love it as much. 


I have another couple of friends coming over tomorrow to do some canning with.  We are tag teaming doing the things, that way neither family has to buy all the supplies.  Although Hubs would love to get a smoker and I am not saying no, just wait for a bit.  More research must be done.  And we need to so a few more things around the yard first. Ya know, making it safe to play in for example.  Neither of us is getting any younger and we don't need to slip and fall. 

It's going to be a busy weekend.  Lots of yard work, cleaning and finishing up a few projects.  We have friends helping us move my "cheese cave" (that hasn't quite made it to cheese cave status) down to the basement and Hubs is putting in shelves for me.  I am determined to become an organized person at some point in my life. Not to mention finishing up a few canning projects from the gifted produce.  I didn't get the blood orange marmalade started yesterday, frankly I just ran out of time.  But I did get the applesauce made, some of the carrots got finished and lots of bone broth.  I am having so much fun!

I'm also going to spend a bit of time in the sewing room this weekend.  I am going to try my hand at making "g" tube pads.  Wish me luck!  They look super simple and I have all the stuff I will need.  My sister sent me a picture of the ones they use, that is all I usually need.  I will get as many done as I can before heading down to Arkansas.  Honestly, I feel like the more they have the better, less laundry days will be needed. 

We've decided on a unique baby present as he is already six months old and they have a lot of the normal baby stuff.  I'm putting together a basket of meals in jars and ready to serve type things.  Their life is a bit crazy with a twelve year old, two year old and now the little guy at home.  Between learning the routines that are needed for the little man, and navigating their brave new world, we figured something to make life easier for the whole family was a darn good idea.  One of my sister's friends started a meal train for them, so I figured we could knock out a few nights at once. 

I gotta tell you, things are getting so crazy expensive lately!  I mentioned we were trying to decide if we would stay in a hotel down in Arkansas or take the camper.  We usually stick within a 150 mile radius with the camper, simply because gas was starting to get high.  This trip will be 335 miles one way. So we were in a tough spot for the decision.  My car gets better mileage vs towing the camper.  So we were leaning towards staying in a hotel.  Even though my brother-in-law found a great campground literally in between everyone we are going to see. 

Well, long, long story short... we are taking the camper.  Hotels are now stupid expensive and even the ones we used to stay in with the boys have a 20 lb limit on dogs and a $15 - $30 per dog, per night fee.  So... camper it is!  If it's gonna cost me the same amount, I would rather stay in my own spot, with my own kitchen, bathroom and bed. 

Although I do admit, I am nervous that the price will go up again on gas before we leave.  This might be the last long trip for a bit.  I hate that I might not be able to go and see the family, but seems that is kind of the way the powers that be are trying to force us. 

Well, I'm gonna go give Hubs a hand, we need to go and pick up some dirt and shelves.  And errands are much more fun when you have company to do it with.  

Have a wonderful day!  

love and peace...

1 comment:

  1. Good one! AND...your applesauce is as good as Gram's if not better. Thanks for letting me taste it and reminding me of her! 381+

    ReplyDelete

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...