Friday, June 3, 2022

taking it slow...

Off to a leisurely start this morning.  I watched the sun lighten the sky out in my garden, marveled at the difference in our front yard from eight years ago when we moved in, enjoyed time with Hubs and the pups and I've slowly savored my coffee.  I can become far to intense when I have things I want to accomplish and I am trying to stop that.  

In a short while I will retrieve the stockpot that spent the evening in the fridge, we went out to dinner with the family to celebrate the formerly youngest grandson's birthday.  I realized this morning, that even though I often refer to him as our youngest grandson, since finding the Hubs eldest daughter he is actually the middle grandson. It was great to have time with the girl and her kiddo's last night.  She is an amazing mom and my heart bubbles with joy watching the five of them navigate life in such a carefree and loving manner. 

So I tucked it away for the night and will let it simmer for a few more hours.  I canned up the extra meat leftover and I am working on making another bone broth from the carcass. Waste not, want not. I was gifted a large amount of apples and some blood oranges.  So I decided that I was going to whip up some applesauce and blood orange marmalade.  I don't want them to go to waste and that way I have yummy treats for when the grands and kids are here.  From there... I don't know what will be next, but it will be something. 


As I was wandering through my garden this morning I was in awe of how well it is growing this year.  Being home and deeply engaged with it is definitely having a positive impact. There are tiny tomatoes already showing up, the cucumber vines have flowers, so do the pepper plants.  I have already harvest about 5 pounds of jalapeno's, and those beauties have become pickled, jellies and cowboy candy.  Since harvesting them they are covered once again with beautiful blossoms. I'm excited to see how it all turns out this year. 


I planted borage for the first time this year, supposedly it is a great companion plant for tomatoes and the flowers and tiny fruits can be used for canning and cooking.  They look so delicate that I find it hard to believe they will hold up to any of that.  Each year I try at least one new thing, that was this years.  I need to get another pot or two, I forgot that I'd planted cow peas in one and thought it was available for a tomato plant, ummmm... nope, it sure isn't. So I will try to get that done today.  I'll put some more borage in with that one once I get it transplanted. I also have another celery plant that I started in a bowl from the remains of a stalk I had bought at the store.  It's over 4 inches tall now and firmly rooted. 





Ahhh... the things I am learning.  

Each day brings something else new and exciting. I was scrolling through "the book" this morning and discovered a unique way to handle spots where grass will not grow.  I hadn't thought of using wood chips and pavers to create a safe, non-muddy garden area.  Our daughter gave me some pavers, she'd bought too many, and I've been trying to decide the best way to use them.  The area we removed the half dead shrubs from is quite interesting and no grass will grow there.  For several reasons, shady, they were evergreen shrubs, soil erosion is strong and puppies are running non-stop across it for starters. I tried to show the idea to Hubs, but you know algorithms and all... needless to say after hours of looking for the pictures again I just gave up.  Although I definitely think I am going to further explore the idea.  I think with a bit of work and time it would create a very beautiful oasis back there.  




I can't believe it is already Friday.  Time flies past so quickly.  I need to see if I can book a hotel in Arkansas for next Friday and Saturday.  Our little nephew has finally gotten to go home and we want to go and meet the little bugger.  His smile cracks me up, he seems to be as much of a character as his two year old brother. 

Besides, I am not sure how many times we will be able to get down there this year, I don't know about where you live, but gas jumped up another six cents yesterday and I have no idea what it did last night.  I don't know about you, but $4.56 is crazy, and honestly my car is supposed to have premium for best performance and that is over $5 a gallon. Ouch?!  We thought about taking our camper as there is a nice campground right in between my mom's and my sisters, but the gas is making it a bit prohibitive.  So it will depend on what I can find hotel wise, that allow dogs and don't charge a stupid amount for them. 

I want to go and see the family before it becomes too costly to make the trip.  Everything is going up so fast.  I also want to either send Hubs or all of us go to Alabama again before the prices go up too much.  I am concerned this insanity is only going to get worse. I'm weary of it all, but folks don't seem to be paying attention. At least not enough attention. 

As it is Friday, I'd better put my laptop up and get with it. The chore elves seem to have moved away so it's time to take care of our little suburban homestead while it's still cool and comfy.... 

love and peace...


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...