Thursday, June 23, 2022

my personal paradise...

It's another delightfully cool morning here in the treetop garden.  I'm sitting out here with my coffee, listening to the bird songs and the world waking up. It's a beautiful 65° and the sun has already cleared the horizon, although here in the garden it is simply peaking through the trees.  Perfect way to start the day, absolutely perfect. Funny, it's how we ended the day yesterday as well.  The warmth of the day had faded into a breezy 75°, it was heavenly.  We watched the birds fly over for the evening dinner, the deer wander just outside the gate and the puppies were engaged in serious horseplay right until they wore themselves out and fell asleep. 

Hubs and I simply sat and enjoyed the peaceful evening.  The sounds of the big bands wafting through the air, chatting about our day, hope, plans, dreams.  We also talked about the fear mongering that is rampant. And how we personally were feeling about it. 

Yesterday, moments after I posted my blog, I had a memory pop up on the book.  It was from 12 years ago I believe.  I could have written it yesterday.  I asked how the promised heat of over 100° could possibly match up with the beautiful cool morning.  It really gave me pause.  We have such short memories for the day to day minutia, as we work and stay busy with our lives we really don't take that much notice of the every day stuff.  So when the media starts beating the drum that it is going to be the hottest summer on record, the panic starts to set it.  The fear becomes reality.  I needed that reminder. 

Yes, I was quite concerned by the warnings.  The drum beating about rolling black and brown outs, the excessive heat, etc.  Now, I already know quite a few folks that have had loss of power, but I think that is more of a game being played with us, similar to the random food shortages, rising prices, etc... but that isn't what I am talking about. 

one of the pot-o-peno's

jalapenos to prepare

tomatoes, pickles and peppers

Tom Thumb Tomato

I stopped writing for a bit to spend some time with Hubs on this delightful morning.  I puttered in the garden pulling in today's harvest, while we chatted about different things.  Marveling at all of the tomatoes that I was able to gather from the Tom Thumb plant. A friend gave us a bag of fresh grown romaine lettuce, she has way too much growing in her garden patch and was gracious enough to share the bounty.  That with those tomatoes and the few peppers that were ready will make a wonderful lunch and probably dinner for the two of us today. There is nothing quite like freshly harvested veggies.  

Giant Marconi - not quite ready

I also harvested another couple of pickling cukes and will start them to fermenting today.  It will be a small jar, but it will also be the first jar that I have ever made from starter plant to finish! There were also quite a few jalapeno's that needed to be harvested.  I've found that if I harvest all of the fully grown peppers regularly I am blessed with so many buds within a day.  Both of my jalapeno plants are strong producers.  I think I am going to try doing some seed saving from these. 

ROOTS!!! 
The Roma is going to make it!

So lets' jump back to the weather situation, because it is really all relevant. I'm not a farmer, although I am sure it is a life I would love to live, but as a gardener (even my little treetop garden) it is important to me to have those warm days.  These cool mornings and evenings coupled with the hot days are what is allowing me to harvest these wonderful veggies each day.  Two days ago, my Tom Thumb was covered in green tomatoes, but nothing was even close to ripe.  Now I've harvested enough for at least two meals for two. They needed that kiss from the sun and the heat that filled the days. 

While the media is busy telling us how tragic the heat is, how it is destroying lives, I really do believe that it is simply the natural cycle of nature.  Are we having droughts, you better believe it, but I don't believe they are an act of nature any more than I believe the fires are.  In that case the more you actually research and learn the more power you have.  

We have actually entered a solar cycle that will be cooling our temperatures, so the occasional hot spell is simply nature balancing itself out. 

That being said.  I'm thankful for a bit of the fear-mongering.  It led me to make a few changes around our home that are proving beneficial.  Because of the heat and the extreme rising costs of everything I put up the extra curtains and closed the blinds.  We are now able to raise the temperature of our air conditioner by a full 4 degrees so far and it is just a cool as it always has been.  Neither Hubs or I enjoy being toasty, we are cool weather folks, and the house is so mild it is not a problem at all. 

I am going to be installing a thermal "door" on the patio, because puppies need lots of outside time. Although they have gotten good at using the little opening I leave, I am going to see if this will help even more. Who knows. 

I truly am thankful for that memory popping up.  It broke a spell that I was allowing to be woven around me.  Convincing me that this was the worst, hottest summer ever.  Nope, this is the Midwest, it is always HOT and HUMID between the months of May - October it is always a possibility.  Just the same as snow is always possible from October - May. None of it is unusual, none of it is apocalyptic.

I'm not prepared to dig into why the powers that be want us to believe it is.  I don't have the time or energy for it.  I am more than a little bit sure that there is a reason, I am also more than a little bit sure that it is about control. But that is a decision that each person needs to come to on there own.  Some folks may think I am bat shit crazy, who knows they might be right.  Each of us is here to live our own lives, to walk our own journey and to figure out the things that we all need to now on our own. 

I was deeply sadden when I heard about a country requiring digital passports to allow their citizens access to reasonably priced bread, don't get the passport (which they can shut off if you aren't obeying their rules and regulations) then you can pay the super over priced amount they are currently charging.  

I have my own issues with things in the bible, I feel man has "interpreted it" just a few too many times to suit their own needs.  But it definitely feels a lot like accepting the mark of the beast to me.  I mean, who knows, maybe it is how they will control their masses, who knows if it will ever come here.  But these are some wild and crazy times we are living through.  And honestly... Hank Jr might have seriously been on to something with his song "A Country Boy Can Survive"... not familiar... worth a listen. 

Well, the sun is starting to climb to the top of the trees and shine down on me, meaning soon I will be warmer than I am happy with.  I harvested a lot of yummy goodness from my garden that needs to be worked with.  A friend donated a LARGE amount of canning jars to me that need to find their way into my dishwasher so that I can fill them. The cantry has been neglected while I have gotten over the crud, and I still want to put a few more stitches into the second dish cloth that I started yesterday. 

Pepper and Onion Pickles 
my only project yesterday - these are
heavenly!

time to wash the jars

today's dish cloth

yesterday's dish cloth

Enjoy the mornings like this, that are a gift to make up for the heat of the day.  Spend the cool hours doing the outside stuff.  Save the heated ones for inside work.  And look out for those around you that might still be under the spell of fear and trying to survive the stupidity being forced on us. Drink a couple extra glasses of water and enjoy the day.

love and peace... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...