Sunday, June 26, 2022

the view I love the most...

Today is not a hang out in the garden morning.  I don't think we got the raging storm they were predicting, but it definitely rained a good bit.  I checked on the garden about an hour ago and everything looks just fine. I was worried last night when I finally closed the door and headed to bed.  The high winds did a serious number last time and I was afraid that would happen again. 

Nope, it's hot, sticky, humid and wet.  Hard to believe it is even the same weekend that started so beautifully yesterday.  I'm definitely not a fan of heat or humidity.  So, I'll be staying happily inside today. 

Actually, I have a ton to do today, so the weather is simply being my guide.  If it was a beautiful day out there, I would be crazy tempted to wander out and play. I love to be outside. If the weather could stay mild 24/7, I would probably never come in the house.  Ya know, around 45° to about 80°, that is my favorite window.  I love the crisp fall days and the softness of the springtime.  Summer is a bit brutal for me.  I don't ever see me moving to say... south Texas.  I need it cooler.  And southern Florida is a definite no, the humidity is just not my thing.  


I often wonder if there was somewhere else I would have rather stopped.  And the truth is, there has never been anywhere that has pulled on my spirit enough to make me move.  So many of the places I have lived over my lifetime hold magic for me.  They are places that are filled with great memories and things that I cherish.  Hubs and I play a game when we are out and about and always say "oh I could live here".  And in most cases, I could.  They all have things that appeal to me.  


I miss the beauty of the Colorado sky, that color is burned forever in my memory as the color of a perfect sky.  I loved the richness of the soil in Washington state, so much grew on the farm that I was blessed to live on. I will forever miss Germany and the wonderful adventures I had all around Europe.  I cherished the beauty of a Charleston springtime, so brief, yet so fragrant and breathtaking in it's splendor. 

If I dig further back in my memories... there was so much to love about Crete and the experiences there.  And I vaguely remember my original home of Pennsylvania, although it's been so very long since I've been there that those memories are a bit fuzzy and vague.  I remember the beauty of so many places that I have been blessed to call home. I never figured the Midwest would be my final stopping point.  But somehow it happened. 

Honestly, if we ever moved it would probably be to somewhere in Kentucky.  I find it so peaceful.  I also very much enjoy Tennessee.  Or even closer to where we are now, down in the rolling hills of the eastern Ozarks would suit me just fine.  Somewhere I can garden, enjoy the seasons, live my life... Heck, I have that all right here. 

I don't plan to move anymore.  I'm tired of packing up my life and starting over.  I have a lifetime of experience doing just that.  And frankly, I'm over it.  I've enjoyed the world, I've met incredible folks that I wouldn't trade for anything.  Had experiences that have shaped who I am.  Good, bad and ugly.  And honestly I wouldn't change any of them.  There was a lesson in it all. 

Yesterday as we traveled around down near the Amish community I found myself once again lost in a lifetime long admiration of them.  Well, for the most part.  I deeply respect their way of life and many times longed for that kind of simplicity and peacefulness in my life.  

At one point two adorable little girls came past on a tiny little wagon pulled by a tiny horse, they looked like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting.  I wanted to take a picture, but my fingers and heart wouldn't let me.  I know that the Amish do not like their pictures taken, I didn't want to be disrespectful.  Their little matching dresses were a soft powder blue and their bonnets were white.  They looked to be all of 5 or 6, and here they were out in the field together, deeply engaged in conversation and going to wherever it was that they were heading.  

My little grand daughters are very much independent, so that part didn't surprise me at all.  They both have hopped in their little electric cars and driven to my house around that age.  My daughter is a free range mom, raising them to stand on their own two feet. I saw so many similarities in the little girls yesterday and my grands.  Except for the dress.  The independence, the self-confidence, the ability to be out and about on there own.  It was a powerful moment. 

Yes, I understand their culture is very different than ours, and that I would NEVER be okay with the way that they treat animals. I cherish mine, they aren't known for that.  But I could definitely find myself quite comfortable with the majority of their lifestyle and culture.  Who knows maybe I was in another lifetime. 

I am drawn to that simplicity, to the work ethic, to the sense of community, to the way they help one another.  All of those things deeply align with my feelings, thoughts and actions.  Now that being said... while I definitely could handle living that lifestyle, I very much appreciate the things I have.  If I had to do without electricity and modern conveniences I guess I could. Believe it or not I do know how to cook on a wood stove, sew by hand, etc... but... I definitely enjoy the ability to not do those things.  For now they are a change from the normal. I pray with all of the insanity going on right now that they do not become our new normal. 

As much as I want to sit here and reflect on the moments that made up yesterday.  I have tons of produce that needs processed.  I have my own work do do while Hubs is at work this morning.  They say idle hands are the devil's playground, I'm not a fan of giving him a chance.  


In just a short while the pressure canners will be running full steam and I will be working on some jellies and maybe another vinegar or two.  Last night I finished up the green beans and some beets.  Today will be another busy one.  My cantry is coming together quite nicely. 

Stay busy, don't give the devil the chance he's looking for... 

love and peace... 



1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...