Saturday, May 7, 2022

we should be sleeping...

When you have puppies recovering from surgery and you hear a mournful whining at 3:23 am in the morning you get up.  I will admit to feeling a bit of anxiety and I hurried half asleep to their kennels.  Had one of them managed to get their collars off?  Had they hurt themselves?  As I approached the scraping on the kennel got far more intense, should I have woken Hubs before heading down?  

No reason to stress, it wasn't a cry telling me they were injured, it was simply a cry telling me that the doggy downers were messing with their little tummies and they desperately needed to go outside. After a couple of trips outside, they were both right as rain, and wide awake!

An hour and a half later, mom is weary.  Pups are not.  I surrender.  I also know that I cannot fall back asleep.  So I am going to sit here for a few moments with them and then I am going to get busy.  I am seriously behind on my chores this week and since dad is home today I can catch up.  

As soon as the sun comes up I am going to head out and start working on removing those shrubs.  Unfortunately, we have a lot of yard work to complete in the next couple of days unless we want to work outside in the heat.  And for the record, we don't.  

I also realized that the yard sale is sneaking up pretty darn quickly.  I want to get more of the stuff we no longer need out of the house, I am tired of feeling like a storage facility, it's time to move it along.  I think Hubs and I are going to start parking in the driveway for a few weeks so that I can slowly set up the garage.  We also want to get it cleaned out, there is so much clutter in there that we do not use or need any longer, it's time to part with it.  We need usable space, not storage space. 

As today and tomorrow are the last cool days for a while, I think we are going to have to make the most of them.  Outside work is best done in cooler temps in my opinion.  And I want to see if we need to get some sod for the backyard, I feel we most definitely will. I don't want a mud run, I want a play area. Now if I could just get the irrigation company out to repair the damage they fence guys did, life would be great! Honestly, in a moment I am going to get down there and do it myself.  It's not that complicated of a repair, we had to do a similar on a water line at our old house.  It's so annoying when companies cash your checks, but don't return your calls.  It's next level annoying, but seems to be the state of things anymore. 

Oh, I do not want to get started on that line of thinking.  It's far too early on a Saturday for me to get in a grumpy mood. 

I didn't get the first sock finished yesterday, only 6 more rows, my baby Beau was having an absolute melt down and wanted serious mommy attention.  So.... I did what any reasonable puppy mommy does and I stopped everything and snuggled my little (big) ball of fluff.  He was so happy when I laid down on the floor with him, it was unreal.  I guess when your world gets switched up completely and you can't romp and play like usual, when you are forced to wear a donut around your neck, the world probably feels bigger than you want to face. I get it. 

I will finish it up here before I get started on my day, it will feel good to my heart to have one of them done and starting on the second.  I don't know that I will knit much this weekend.  I am hoping that Hubs will spend some time in the puppy pen so that I can catch up a bit on my work. We'll see. I'd love to take the babies outside with us when we work on the shrubs, but I fear the temptation to run will just be too darn much.  The most outside they are going to get is a visit to the treetop garden, blocked off from the stairs. 

I made an addition to the treetop garden yesterday, I was at The Fruit Stand and they had the most beautiful hanging jalapeno planters.  So I bought two, I mean, why wouldn't I make even better use of my hanging space?  I have a lot of hanging space and I haven't really used it, and I love jalapeno's. I also discovered some hanging tomato plants yesterday, I didn't buy them yet, needed to assess the garden, but I definitely feel like I will be investing in at least one or two. 

They are on the same list as the lilac plants that I found yesterday.  I am trying to figure out where I would put one, the spot I was considering is probably not a great choice, far too close to the air conditioner. And I also found a raised bed that we can put on the hill and level out, super reasonable so I need to do a few more measurements and then I believe I will get it ordered in. Hubs and I will look at it today. 

It's incredible the difference in how I see our formerly useless backyard now that the fence is in.  It blocks the view of the steep hill, it forces the eye to observe the usable space in a different light.  After we take out the fence we are going to deal with the landscaping edging that was put in almost 25 years ago, best guess.  It originally waved along the back side of the yard, right before the drop off, but now it simply looks unkempt and wonky.  Some of it is on either side of the fence and it is falling over.  

We'll also straighten out the mowed edge of the yard.  It's going to take a bit of time to completely get rid of the volunteer berry vines, at least I think they are volunteers, I'm not sure anyone would plant those in the manner they grow. And while we are at it, I think I am going to work on eliminating the rest of that dreaded English Ivy on the north side of the house, I absolutely detest it and I am so tired of peeling it off the side of the house, out from under the siding and away from my trees.  Once I get it out I will plant something beautiful or useful there that isn't going to destroy my siding and harbor ants. 

Well, Hubs has about 40 more minutes of the movie he is watching, I have coaxed the babies back in their kennels, so I think I am going to go upstairs and clean a few carpets and get the ironing done before the babies wake up again. Stay busy my friends... 

love and peace...



1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...