Sunday, May 8, 2022

simply staying busy...

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. I will call my mom in a short while, don't want to wake her up early.  I woke up to find that my sweet girl had sent me a mother's day wish just after midnight, she is nothing if not prepared.  It made my morning.  Frankly, I am not a huge fan of Hallmark holidays, honestly since I have gotten older I don't know that I am a fan of any holidays.  They are simply far too commercial and over the top. Not that I disagree with having a holiday to celebrate mom's, dad's, loves, etc.  I just despise the over commercialization of them.  A phone call, a text, if close enough I simply love a hug.  But I don't do well with the rest of it. I'm not even a card person, rarely buying or mailing them out.  It's simply not me. 

I also struggle with holidays that bring home pain to someone.  And unfortunately, there are many that hurt on those very holidays.  I know, I'm strange.  So what. I have wonderful children that I love to the moon and beyond.  The fact that they are busy living their best lives is all I need to make me happy. I messaged with my boy yesterday, I got an awesome message from my girl.  Life is good!

I don't plan to do anything other than having a normal day.  Actually, I plan on a repeat of yesterday.  And trust me, yesterday has my body screaming ouch, simply, plainly just ouch!  If it is part of my body it is letting me know that it is not thrilled with my actions yesterday.  Any of them. Well, all except for the new knee, it doesn't hurt at all.  The muscles around it are not thrilled, but the knee is a blessing. 

Hubs and I worked so hard yesterday.  But it was such a fulfilling hard.  It wasn't hard for the sake of hard. My sweet Hubs looked at my to do list and went to town.  It felt amazing to have things just falling off the list left and right.  Before I'd even watered the treetop garden he had pulled up most of the old landscaping vinyl it's currently lying in the driveway, but three different folks have all asked for it.  That's a win all the way around. 


We finally removed all of those crazy wild shrubs that we have been in a love hate relationship with for eight years.  Trying to decide if we wanted to keep them as they framed the small back patio.  Or did we want to remove them, because honestly they were a bit of an eyesore.  The only two values they brought were the fact that they kept anyone from falling off the patio and the deer wandered up to graze where we could watch them up close. In fact the second one is the primary reason they were such an eyesore. 

It's amazing the difference just removing those old overgrown shrubs had on the back yard. It grew so much just removing them.  Today we will tackle other parts of making it a more livable and puppy friendly space.  But that needs to wait a moment.  I'm simply tired and sore.  Besides, I think the neighbors would probably like some peace and quiet on this early Sunday morning. 

We also worked to remove a small mountain (it felt it anyhow) of dirt and rocks so that we could repair the irrigation system.  Hubs and I were both sore, cut up, and flat out tired by the time we finished, but for $12 and a bunch of labor we were able to repair it ourselves and didn't have to wait until the first week of June to have it fixed.  I would never pay to have an irrigation system installed, it came with the house.  But, since I do have it, why should I waste the time and water using a sprinkler? That being said, I might need to purchase a replacement gardening shovel, because they were a bit old and using them to pry all of those rocks free without damaging the system has them a bit misshapen.  I know we live on a very rocky hill, I didn't realize until yesterday just how rocky.  Also my respect for the fence installation crew just grew even greater. 

 I have a confession to make and it rips at my heart surprisingly.  I went into the garage to grab a bag of worm casings (I was working on planting my tomatoes) and I was startled by a tiny baby black snake.  He scared me to the core, but he wasn't any bigger than an earthworm.  I didn't want him living in my garage and tried to be brave enough to pick him up and move him.  I moved him a bit too suddenly and harshly evidently, as he didn't make it.  I am crushed.  Seriously crushed.  I was trying so hard to overcome my fear of snakes and realizing that he was a good snake trying to move him to a safer spot and I accidentally killed him. I didn't know that baby snakes were so fragile.  Now I keep waiting for momma snake to come and let me know that I am a mean and horrible person.

there was also time to snuggle the babies
yep that is my lap they are both sitting in

Somehow in the midst of all that chaos I managed to make 5 quarts of spaghetti with meat sauce, plus a bit extra that Hubs will enjoy today.  And I dehydrated a sweet potato for the babies.  They love them dehydrated. This morning I am getting ready to make a big batch of french onion soup, I got a great deal on onions and Hubs and I love it, even without the bread in the middle. I plan to can that up also.  I love my new pressure canner.  I am having a great time fixing all of these yummy treats.  Hubs is loving the homemade dinners even when I am simply too tired to deal with it all. Ironically with not eating out, both of us are dropping weight with the homemade meals. 

Today will find us outside working again, those 90° temps will be starting tomorrow, so we want to get all of the outside work finished up while its cool.  I am going to pull all of that ivy, I've absolutely had enough of it.  Hubs will take care of all the pressure washing.  We might even pick up a lilac bush or two to put where the ivy once lived when I get it all pulled out.  I also need to pick up one or two good sized planters so that I can get my okra planted, forgot about doing that yesterday.  And we need to look at how much sod that area that used to hold ugly shrubs is going to require.  I am not a fan of muddy puppies and that is a HUGE area to be muddy. 



Well, I have a few more moments to rest before starting this day.  So it's time for another cup of coffee and to cast on my second sock.  First one was finished yesterday. I love the feeling of accomplishment, of taking care of our business and the rest that comes when it is done. 

love and peace...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...