Tuesday, May 3, 2022

just have to keep busy...

Goodness gracious, it has been a busy day here at my little suburban homestead.  It's only 10:30 am and I am already feeling ready for a nap.  It has also been a super productive day, I need it today.  I wanted to take my pups for their surgeries - I am just that over-protective and I know it. It simply wasn't meant to be. Hubs left with them at 6:30 am, they were beyond puzzled to be loaded into mommy's car without mommy.  He will pick them up around two this afternoon and bring them home. 

I am here supervising the installation of the fence.  They won't be able to romp for about 10 days, but they are going to love it when they are able to.  These guys are definitely impressive, even if I am annoyed with the company, the crew installing my fence are amazing.  I figured they would be using power tools to dig the fence post holes.  I live on a very rocky, root filled piece of land.  The sales person assured me they would be, nope, that is definitely not the case.  They are out there with good old fashioned post hole diggers.  I feel SO guilty!  I mean geez, these folks are human, that is super hard work. Even more impressive is that they have only been working for an hour and almost all of the holes have been dug and they are starting to put in the posts. 


And there has only been one minor casualty so far, one of these incredibly strong gentlemen managed to bust the PVC water line for the irrigation system.  Seems they didn't quite understand when I explained it to them.  It's all good.  Accidents happen. 




While they have been busy outside digging holes and putting up posts, I have been crazy busy inside. So far this morning I have finished pressure canning the last 4 jars of carrots that wouldn't fit in the canner last night. I have roasted almost 15 lbs of tomatoes, only 5 more to go before I can start making the marinara.  I've made up 2 quarts of vegetable broth from some of my bags of veggie scraps that I have been keeping in the freezer and I have another pot of veggie broth simmering away. 





Heck, I've even gotten a load of laundry done, trying to get the babies stuff all fresh and clean before they come home to recuperate. I'd say that is not a bad days work for four hours.  I spent the time before they left this morning doing the normal daily routine. I also put together a swap bag for our friend down south.  Hubs is meeting up with him today and he is bringing me a treat that I cannot make for myself, so I sent him a bag of my new soaps - he can't make those, so... 

It felt a bit rebellious to be doing good old fashioned "horsetrading", stepping out of the accepted barter system of cash for items or services and into the way things used to be.  FYI - I love being a bit rebellious and doing my own thing.  

Hubs and I had a jar of the marinara for lunch yesterday, he was absolutely stunned at how flavorful it was, I mean we have been a bit conditioned to just crack open a jar of pre-made or make it up with canned sauces. The difference was amazing. I don't know that he will ever eat sauce from the grocery again. I was slightly sad I didn't have anymore tomatoes available when my favorite market sent out an ad, they had the most amazing prices on tomatoes.  $20 later, I have 50 pounds of tomatoes to turn into yummy treats for my Hubs. 







It's a lot of work, but in the end it is so wonderful.  On top of that, I am having a blast doing it.  I was in the treetop garden yesterday afternoon in the rain putting in my cabbages that were gifted to me and finally planting my herbs.  I even got the green bean planted.  Yep, I said green bean.  Seems only one of the four seeds decided to sprout.  It's all good, I planted even more seeds. I'm trying to decide how I want to plant the okra this year, I want to plant even more of it, because we love okra and one can simply never have too much.  It's also time to start harvesting radishes.  I think I might roast up a pan of them tonight for dinner.  My sister told me they are amazing like that and since we don't eat potatoes in our quest to avoid inflammatory foods, I feel it is time to give it a try. 

Another friend had a misfortune happen yesterday and is gifting me some soil and plants, I have no idea what kind, but I will definitely get them in the ground.  I will head over to her house either later today or tomorrow morning to pick them up.  



I had finished up her little bull yesterday and mailed it, now I wish I hadn't been so punctual and prompt and I could have delivered it in person. Darn the luck!

I think a bit later today I am going to sit still for a while and just knit.  I started a pair of socks while we were traveling.  I feel by the time I am done today, the extent of my willingness to do anything will simply be moving those needles.  Or I might just sit and read, that seems like less work. 

Well the tomatoes are almost done roasting and the broth needs a stirring... I'm going to stay busy so I don't worry about my sweet babies. What are you up to today?

love and peace!

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...