Monday, May 2, 2022

living our joy...

Whew!  What an incredible time away.  Neither Hubs nor I had our computers with us, minimum connectivity kept us from spending all our time connected to our phones also.  Yesterday before we left I'd finished getting the camper ready to roll, Hubs was down at the dock "wetting a line" and I was sitting working on some knitting and reflecting on the time away. 

It was an absolute gift to the soul, a treasure.

I cherish the little campground that we stay at.  Due to all the wonky April weather, and I'm sure the gas prices aren't helping it was very quiet this time.  More so than normal.  I am completely not complaining, it was what my people weary soul was craving. 

We'd gone down for the express purpose of going to quilt week.  It had been gone for two years, I couldn't wait to finally go. Yet as the peace of the river kicked in, I couldn't bare the thought of going.  So many people, so much activity, just so much of everything. This introvert was not ready to jump into that kind of thing at all.  So we didn't, at least not at first. 










Instead we enjoyed Paducha as we know and love it.  We discovered that our favorite run away city is off the chain dog friendly, so the Pups sat on patio's with us at all of our favorite restaurants and bars and enjoyed their vacation also. Hubs found a great pet store that is unfortunately going out of business, the pups were their stars of the day on Instagram. And the owner picked up on their personalities perfectly.  I was so proud of them, they were so very well behaved and made a few friends along the way themselves.  On our final day in town we met a full blood white boxer, I wish I had gotten a picture of them all together, for the first time Beau looked more boxer than he looked bully mix.  I was shocked. And Belle didn't look like she had an ounce of boxer in her.  It was crazy!

their Instagram famous photo








I had the most powerful reading at The Nice Rock Shop, I love it there and Abby was extraordinary.  It was by far the best reading I ever received and it definitely set the perfect tone for the rest of the week. It felt so great to see all the cards telling me that the work I have been doing on myself was the work I was supposed to be doing.  That I am finally living my life the way I am supposed to.  Ironically the only two "negative cards" so to speak were reversed and basically confirmed my freedom from things that were not positive for me. Ironic... Saturday was my freedomversary as I am happy to call it, thank you to my dear friend that coined that one for me. 


Final card drawn... summing it up!



We spent time hanging out with the pups and new friends at our favorite spot, the Silent Brigade Distillery, I am still saying I love the Chocolate Coconut moonshine best, but the Blackberry and Pina Colada were incredible also. Mostly it was the fun people and unique characters that we find there that draw us back.  Hubs even made the wall of shame for spilling his drink.


Hubs is forever finding new folks to meet and talk to so we are never without friends, and we all know that I wouldn't have even said hello if left to my own devices.  Because of him, we met an awesome couple from the finger lakes in upstate New York.  So much in common... quilts, camping, motorcycles, dogs.  Camping near them was so enjoyable and I hope we will encounter each other again at some point.  They left the day before we did, but then again they had a much longer journey home than we did. It was so nice to make new friends that have similar interests and ideas. 

Our other camping neighbors were  an older French couple, so not much conversation was able to happen.  They were so very nice! I smiled when I caught her sneaking over to our fire pit on their last morning to leave a bottle of charcoal starter, Hubs had helped them start their fire a few nights before with some and they bought a bottle the next day. The smile on her face as she set it down and tiptoed off was unbelievably precious.




The eldest daughter and grand drove up for the day, Sis drove up for just over a day and believe me we managed to pack it full!  Saturday was for family.  We spent time at the Purple Toad winery with the girls in the afternoon while Sis took some time to swim and soak in the hot tub. I never thought I would fall in love with a wine called Strawberry Jalapeno, but it happened. That is a flavor treat that is quite unexpected. 








Sis and I went to the quilt show, I'd gone the day before (at her suggestion) with Hubs and decided to surprise her on Saturday.  It's great to explore something like that with someone that understands as much or more than you do.  We had fun looking at all the new fangled things and exploring some of the older things that we haven't dug too deeply into. Hubs and I had looked at everything on Friday, or so we thought, Sis and I found lots more on Saturday. 


I even broke down and ordered an Accuquilt system.  Sis got one in December, I've been drooling over them for years - but too cheap to invest.  After looking at them on Friday with Hubs, and then hearing about her experience with hers... well... I can't wait to get it home and start playing.  One of my least favorite parts of quilting is cutting it all out. And it will make it so much easier for Hubs when he makes his next quilt. And I might have fallen in love with a different long arm than I expected, after finally being able to try them all side by side.  If I ever fully decide to purchase one, I now know what I want 100%.

It was definitely a full week.  But more than the busy stuff, it was full of relaxation.  Long walks, sunsets that fill the soul, quiet hours sipping coffee and other beverages, talking in soft tones - because the rich blanket of darkness around the campfire seemed to demand it. 











We spent Thursday afternoon exploring the area around where we camp, it always seems like it's the end of civilization, after that afternoon, we discovered it pretty much is.  We found breathtaking natural beauty, hiked on small trails that at one time were filled with great sadness as the Cherokee people were forced along the trail of tears. We marveled at all of the beauty surrounding us. Both of us are very drawn to that part of Kentucky, no idea why, but we definitely are. Who knows in another lifetime that could have been home. 



We seriously found a place called Joy!












We stopped and watched several black snakes scurry across the road, from the safety of the truck I was mesmerized at the movements required for them to complete the task.  Traveling up another back road we encountered a wild turkey, it didn't even seem to know we were slowly driving up on it as it didn't even attempt to rush out of the road, instead it casually finished wandering to the other side. So many deer and cattle the babies were beside themselves in wonder at the "big dogs". Of course we found a few ticks - ugghhh... believe I have mentioned over the years that I detest those little buggers. 

Mostly we found rest and peace. 





Today, I am back home.  Sitting in my favorite chair and trying to decide where to start!  Even the sounds that surround me are grating and busy.  Every lawn mowing company in town must have a job in the neighborhood.  And there is non-stop saws and hammers - I guess some folks are trying to beat the rain and get work done. 

I forgot to print out part of the assembly directions for my little bull friend, so I need to finish his assembly today so I can get him off to his new momma (hubs taking babies romping - I'm too nervous they will get hurt so I'm not invited - equaled time to work). I want to mail him tomorrow or maybe even this afternoon.

Other than that... I started laundry, but that is about it.  I have tons to unpack and then it is diving back into life. The pups need baths - Hubs found lots of wide open spaces for them to run and trust me they are not the correct color for either of them - they have their spay/neuter surgeries tomorrow morning and I don't want them to risk having issues due to the country dirt they brought home. 

I spent a few moments this morning organizing my week in my calendar only to have the fence company mess it up again.  So needless to say, I am going to have to make major revisions.  Both spay/neuter and fence install on the same day... oh Lord!

Well, back to my crazy life.  I have missed writing and hope everyone is living their best and fullest lives! 

love and peace... 

p.s. don't forget to live your JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...