Wednesday, May 4, 2022

losing my mind?

Get the puppies fixed at the same time they said, it will be easier they said... she agreed... now she is seriously questioning her sanity and intelligence.  For this moment they are sound asleep.  Hopefully that is how the majority of the day is going to go, although it does mean I am sitting here basically watching their every move.  Why?  Because those darn cones of shame are HORRIBLE!  If I watch them they don't have to wear them and they can actually rest.  

The did really well, although Belle ended up with a nicked spleen, so she is requiring a bit more observation and an additional trip to the vet tomorrow morning to check her blood counts.  They both are eating good and keeping them calm is definitely a full time job.  Thank goodness for "doggie downers".  Trying to keep two incredibly busy puppies calm and stopping them from running is brutal.  I ended up barricading the three of us in a single room.  The sofa and chairs have things stacked on them, not that it's stopped Belle from trying to climb it anyhow, hence the non-stop observation. 

finally got him to lie down... sort of

he decided to melt...

Just got home... exhausted

She needed her daddy, 
he's demonstrating the reason for cones

He stayed like this for 30 minutes,
refusing to move

There are four different beds lying on the floor in this room, they are both snuggled together on a single one. But at least they are resting. I am hoping that all of the repeating of no jumping to our little Belle will finally break her of jumping up.  That would be a huge side bonus.  She is just so excited with life that she cannot make herself be calm. She is our energetic little baby. 

Beau is definitely the family drama king.  He was whining, fussing and basically throwing a tantrum for over an hour last night.  At the two hour mark I told him to suck it up.  He wasn't in pain, not in the least, unless you count the pain of indignation.  He loathes the cone, he will be perfectly fine, the cone is put on so he can go to sleep in his kennel (and mom can go to bed) and he is absolutely dying!  The whine is so high pitched your ears ring add to that the non-stop panting and mounting panic attack.  It is fairly extreme.  I thought he was in deep distress last night, until I realized it was all an attempt to get rid of the cone. 

At one point he'd struggle enough to tighten it, but by then it wasn't too tight, I checked.  In fact at one point he discovered he was able to remove it by pushing it against the kennel.  If I hadn't been so exhausted at that point I would have cracked up, he froze and didn't make eye contact - almost as if he thought if he didn't look at me I wouldn't notice that he'd gotten it 3/4 of the way off. It was so funny.  The look was pure disbelief and amazement coupled with a touch of slyness.  

I get it, I truly do, I would be miserable.  I mean I didn't do so great just sitting in a bed unable to move about. I completely understand. I ordered some inflatable collars last night, they should be here today.  Hopefully they will make sleeping a bit easier for them.  They could barely move in their kennels because of those huge things. 

While my babies rest coneless today, I have to stay within eyesight. They both want to explore their surgery sites, so I will spend the day sitting, resting and probably knitting myself.  Yesterday was crazy.  You would not believe the canning I completed.  The counter tops were covered with mason jars this morning.  Carrots, veggie broth and oven roasted marinara rounded out the items completed.  I opened a can of the carrots to feed the babies this morning and was shocked at how tasty they are, nothing like the canned kind from the grocery store, we will definitely need more of those.  Hubs will not believe how good they are, and when he finds out, I will struggle to keep up.  

Oven Roasted Marinara and Vegetable Broth

did I try too much at once?

I don't have a butter mold,
so this is the best it is

I even made a couple of pounds of butter, as I had way too much heavy cream that I was not going to be able to use by yesterday.  FYI, if you haven't tried it, you definitely should! It was so very easy, although I wasn't prepared for the immense splashing when it crossed from whip cream to butter, and had removed the towel guard prematurely. I opted not to salt it, although I will probably salt the next batch.  Frankly, I'm tired of wasting stuff. I've reached the point if we can't use it all I will either be canning, dehydrating or ... finding another way to preserve it. I am not okay with tossing anything out anymore, have you seen those prices? 


The fence was finished by 3 pm, I need to call the city to have them come and inspect it, but it looks amazing.  I can't wait for the babies to feel good enough to go out and play. I decided to go with eastern cedar, I don't want to have to paint it. I couldn't believe they managed to complete it in less than 6 hours, they were definitely a power team. They were very impressive, the company - not so much!

Now I am finding myself daydreaming about what I can do to put some beautiful plants all around it. My friend gifted me some Rose of Sharon seeds and I am thinking those might be beautiful on the back side of the fence.  Then ones that are currently there are looking like they have definitely hit the end of their days. In fact I was noticing yesterday that one of them looks like it might have finally died over the winter. I also thin I'm going to get Hubs to help me make a raised bed along the one wall, just high enough that two busy puppies don't feel the need to taste test everything and deep enough that I can plant a wide variety of things in it.  It's kind of in a dead zone in the yard that gets lots of wonderful sunshine. 


Oh well, reality is that I probably have a full 7 to 10 days to daydream and plan.  These babies are going to keep mom hopping! It's time to get with it, I'm super sleepy today from lack of sleep last night, thank you drama king, so I need to keep busy...

love and peace..

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...