Sunday, May 15, 2022

lessons learned...

Do you ever sit down at the end of the day and realize that it is almost the first time all day that you've stopped?  That you are finally not busy? Today has been a blur since I woke up.  I slept in, 7 am is not a normal wake up for me, but I was up until around 12:30 am so, I guess it all balances out. 

The day started at a rush and just kept going.  Hubs went to spend the day fishing down at Trout Lodge, he's there for a retreat for the next couple of days, but today was simply about him and a buddy spending some quality time wetting a line and talking away. 

I spent my day entertaining puppies, canning up the case of tomatoes that had to be finished today (I'm sitting here waiting for the pressure to go down so I can take the last batch out of the canner), running errands and spending a bit of time with my girl.  We don't often get to spend time just the two of us, so it was nice. 

She was gifted some boards that she thought maybe I could use to make some signs, and I do believe she is correct.  They are the kind that would make great farmhouse signs.  I went over to pick them up, visited with her for a bit, both of us got terrified by a baby snake that simple did not want to leave, we planned thinning out her catnip and mint plants, I will probably go over a couple of times this week and put some in pots for her. I helped her get her stuff out for the yard sale, she is working a bigger job this week and won't have much time, I will have time, so I spent it enjoying her company and working together. 

I had to return some tops today, I'd ordered what size I thought I would/could wear, never in a million years dreaming that I could wear an even smaller size now.  It was unbelievable to me that they were too big, I'd felt I was being overly optimistic when I ordered the size I did.  I decided while I was there I would see if they had any shorts in Hubs size, he only managed to get two pairs the day before and they were the same color.  It's summer, he needs shorts.  They did have them so I got back into line.  I stood in that line for 45 minutes.  My legs were hurting and I was tired.  I thought about saying never mind, but I felt I should stay and get them for him.  

There was a single cashier, no other help anywhere to be seen.  His tag said he was an associate in training.  If I still hired people, I would hire him in a second.  He was super polite, apologized for the delay and stayed cheerful as he worked non-stop.  I asked him if he had any help, his reply, "I hope some relief will show up soon ma'am, but I promise that I will help everyone a quickly as I can until that happens".  I was there for about an hour and a half total and he was the only employee I saw during that entire time. He smiled to everyone and acted as if taking care of them was the most important thing in the world.  I was amazed, he had every reason to be snarly, off-tempered and frustrated.  And yet, he chose to be the exact opposite. 

I left that store and went to another to pick up an order and get a couple of things for my girl.  I decided to shop first, but I was getting tired of shopping and ready to be done.  I found a line and got in it.  One person in front of me, wouldn't be too bad.  The man in front of me was in a sling and struggling to unload his cart, the cashier was so sweet and helped him out.  As he started to pay I was getting more and more tired and feeling a bit fussy inside.  I pulled out gift card after gift card to pay for his bill that was over $300, each time it lowered it by $5 - $25 dollars, I was starting to wonder if I was destined to be in the longest line all day.  Knowing, that I was done with shopping and any other plans for the day were going to have to wait.

Finally it was my turn.  I explained to the cashier that I had two separate baskets, one was mine, one was my daughters.  This opened the door for the cashier to tell me all about what she and her daughter were going through in life and how traumatic it was.  I was definitely feeling overwhelmed by the story and my need to finally be home and sitting.  I was worn and had expended far too much energy on non-productive things.  The line was growing.  I kept prodding her to complete the transaction, almost wishing I had opted for self-checkout.  I hate the way the cashier bags my purchase when I self-checkout.  Anyhow as we were wrapping up she mentioned that her daughter might have cancer and needed prayers.  I didn't think twice as I gathered my bags up and started to walk away, reassuring her that I would send up prayers for her daughter. 

It was what she said next that stopped me in my tracks for a moment.  As I said good-bye and wished her a wonderful day, she paused, smiled and then thanked me to for taking the time to listen to her. I felt horrible inside and blessed at the same time. 

Horrible for thinking that she was rambling on and wanting to leave.  Blessed because despite myself I was able to be there during a moment that she needed someone to listen. We are all here trying to make it through this crazy human experience and I almost didn't give her the grace she needed. 


Now I'm sitting here hoping the sky clears just enough for me to see some of the Lunar eclipse, Hubs has a fantastic view across the lake from his room.  I know he'll send me photo's if he can see it. I will go and pull those basil tomatoes and head up to bed shortly.  I'm worn out. 


My lessons learned today where to remember to make time for everyone.  We are all on this journey to the same destination, but following different paths and timelines.  Be that person for someone, share the kind word, listen without judgement and simply be the person you want to encounter in all of this... 

Okay, eyelids are drifting... it's time to call it a wrap... don't forget to look at the eclipse if you can see it and to listen... In a world where we can chose to be anything... please be kind. 

love and peace...

ps - all photos tonight courtesy of the Hubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...