Monday, January 17, 2022

shhhhhhh....

That's the feeling right now.  The Pups slept until 4:00 am, amazing considering the number of hours they spent in their kennels yesterday while we helped the eldest move.  I was simply hoping to get a couple of hours rest, so I am deeply thankful for a full night. 

Needless to say they were full of "piss and vinegar", as my Dad so famously used to say, when they woke up.  For almost 3 solid hours I have been chasing, cleaning, removing, playing, feeding, walking and snuggling these two.  I'm not going to lie, them falling asleep and quiet in their kennels right this moment feels like a blessing from heaven. 

The past few days have found me "walking" into opportunities to help others.  Some of it was super small, at least to me, yet the tears in that young mom's eyes when I paid for the fresh food she'd put back because she didn't have the money made me realize that if we have blessings in our lives, it is our responsibility to share those blessings. It's like the universe is placing them in my path to see if I will rise to the challenge.

I am still kicking myself for not paying more attention to my surroundings.  I was simply waiting in line, not really listening to the cashier rambling on, nor really noticing the mom and her little girl as he sent them over to the bank to replace the torn bill.  I was simply lost in my own thoughts, scrolling through social media killing time.  I'm still upset with myself and have decided I will not do that when I am out and about.  I want to be more present. 

If I had been more present, I would have gladly paid for her meager cart of groceries, there was so little there in the first place.  It wasn't until I saw the cashier remove the fruit, meat and cheese packages that she and her little girl were going to enjoy for their lunch that I became "present".  I paused her exit for just a moment while I quickly had the cashier add it to my bill.  Her words were so soft and powerful as she thanked me.  She's a single mom, going through a really tough time. 

I still feel selfish.  I could have easily taken care of her entire bill.  I had the money in the bank and could have easily shared.

If only I had been present. 

Then there was the senior that fell in his dark driveway as we were leaving the girls house.  Time is all it cost, but we were so worried about him.  I just happened to look to the side to see where all of the trash was coming from and saw him struggling, trying to stand, unable to get his feet under him.  Hubs rushed out the door, helped him, cleaned up the trash and glass and together we made sure he was okay before heading home.  What if I hadn't been curious?  What if we had left just a few moments earlier or I had decided to turn around in the road like I usually do?  How long would he have laid there in the cold?

Those are just a couple of the things that have appeared in my path.  I wasn't looking, they were just there.  I wonder how many more chances we might have had to make a difference if we'd have been paying attention?  

Yesterday we were able to help the eldest move into her new place.  It felt amazing to be able to provide support and love.  But it's natural and normal to do for family and close friends.  It still felt amazing to have the family gathered in a loving net around her as she starts this new phase of her life.  The girl is a master at organization and she put those skills to heavy use helping her sister yesterday.  Watching Dad put together furniture while I was washing dishes to put away filled my heart with love.  The laughter, the smiles listening to the youngest as she cleaned all of the doorknobs declaring them to be "disgusting" was hysterical, they weren't FYI, but to her she was providing a very valuable service. 



The youngest and I came home early to walk the Pups and play with them for a bit.  We also decided to make a batch of cookies, as one can never have too many treats when you are a four year old.  Especially ones that you can roll and mash with your bare hands. 


Hubs feeds a little possum that lives under our porch.  Doesn't seem like much, some folks think he's absolutely nuts for doing it, but that little possum takes care of us as well.  He also feeds the birds, never letting their feeders go empty even in a snow storm.  We even prepared a plate of nuts and grains for the squirrel, yes he's my nemesis during the summer months, but it's one of God's creatures.  We both firmly believe in doing whatever we can.  

It made me realize that if we all took just a few more minutes or hours to do things for others, to help one another, we could seriously make an impact on this world of ours.  If the goal simply became to see how many people each and everyone of us could impact in a day, the power, the energy would be incredible!  And think about it, if everyone is doing it, then everyone is benefiting from it. 

It makes me think of that sweet woman offering up extra food.  She was determined to make a difference in her own community.  Instead of worrying about whatever crap the news is currently trying to brainwash us with, what if we used our collective skills and energy for good?  I was surfing through a few sites that fill my heart with joy and came across a story about a group of quilters making pillow cases to donate.  They made 128 of them in a day.  I never really thought about people needing pillow cases, it seems so basic.  But is it?

Is any of it basic? 

I want to be more present.  I want to be less connected to that which doesn't serve my highest good and more connected to those around me. 

Anyone else what to take on the challenge?  Do a bit more good in the world? My deepest hope is that those random acts of kindness will inspire more and more in all of us.  I want to live in that world.  I want to manifest that world. 


love and peace...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...