Saturday, July 23, 2022

work arounds...

Today promises to be a serious scorcher.  Pretty sure that means I plan to stay inside and work on inside chores. I took the time this morning to sit outside, work in the garden and harvest a few fresh veggies. I only have one more set of plants to give a drink before the heat rolls in, but I have a couple of hours to do that. 

It's a normal late July day.  Same as it is every year, despite the warnings I am getting from the weather apps and the brilliant red and orange colors the news is using to portray the dangers.  It's normal.  And in my normal fashion it means I am going to finish up with some inside projects and wait for the evening to venture back outside. 

Last night I got a text from my girl, asking if we wanted to hang out.  Hubs had already wandered off to bed, and I wasn't too far behind him.  I don't often get to see the girls, we are all busy, so I headed down the hill.  Only to quickly return for my swimsuit as the youngest grand wanted someone to play in the pool with her.  She is such a snuggle bug and she loves to touch and play.  Her mom is not a snuggler, hasn't been since she was five years old.  So of course "Gram" was happy to oblige.  

Gram seems to be the name that she has given to me.  As she often resorts to it when talking to me.  Every now and then it is full out grandma, but mostly it's gram. And she says it with this old soul voice and smile on her face that simply melts my heart.  As my own Grammie would say, she is an "imp".  She is high spirited, very intelligent, full of non-stop energy and knows her own mind.  Often it is easy to forget that you are talking to a five year old. 

Even though the heat of the day had beat down on the pool and I expected a nice tepid bath, it was surprisingly pleasant.  She and I splashed and played as the sun went down, giving mom a break to sit in peace and relax.  And Gram got all the snuggles and splashes.  She asked that I start keeping my swimsuit in my car so that I can play with her all the time when I come over.  She really wanted to hang in the hot tub, but I need the air temperature a bit lower before I climb in there. 

It was the perfect way to end the day.  I enjoyed it so much.  Snuggling with the little, chatting with my girl, simply enjoying life. My grands are very "attached" to their mom, so I don't often get the opportunity to take them places alone.  This play time is truly the closest I can get to stealing them for a few hours.  My girl is the only stability they have in their life and they are both afraid they might lose it.  That happens when you experience a tragedy young.  I get it. I am more than happy to meet them where they are most comfortable. 

I waited a while with them to see if their "pet" raccoon would show up, but I am not so sure he is comfortable around me, when I finally headed up the hill at 1030 last night, he still hadn't stopped by for his dinner.  The girl and I are pretty sure he was sitting just outside of view, rubbing his little hands together waiting impatiently for me to leave. 

I had to run my car in to get the a/c checked yesterday and as the oldest works there, I was able to spend a short while visiting with her.  It was so wonderful, we haven't seen her in a bit, so it was great to catch up, evidently the guys hadn't told her I would be there, so I was able to sneak in and surprise her.  I'll get to see her Monday morning again when I drop off my car so they can take it to a bigger shop, the tweaks they did yesterday didn't fix this issue that the a/c only runs for about 30 minutes before it doesn't. Fingers crossed they get it fixed quickly. I'm so thankful I sprung for the big warranty package. 

If I could have seen the boy yesterday as well it would have been the perfect trifecta, but he lives too far away for that to happen just because.  

she got the coveted spot by mom

I'm not sure what the puppies are up to, but it sounds ominous.  They kill every stuffed toy they get and have been working their way through the toy box.  If it can be destroyed it must be destroyed and then they have to feud over the bits that remain, each looking for the noisiest part. Beau was just standing in the toy box picking another victim.  They definitely keep me on my toes.  So far the current toy appears to be intact, in fact it doesn't appear to be viable victim as he is once again rooting through their toy box. 

Well the quilting thread that I needed to finish the quilt I am working on was delivered yesterday, I have some sewing I want to get finished this morning, so I guess it is time to start the day.  I want to finish up these inside projects this weekend.  Hubs and I are going to watch a mini-series about the elusive D. B. Cooper, and it will give me time to do the handwork to complete a couple of projects. 

a bit of today's harvest

I hope you find things that will help you stay cool, during these warm days, and remember very soon we will be in the depth of winter again longing for the warmth of this moment.  

love and prayers...


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...