Sunday, July 24, 2022

taking things slow...

Hubs is taking a much deserved mid-day nap, the pups are running in the backyard like their tails are on fire.  They've been inside for the past 2 hours, they have energy to burn. And I'm sitting here in the semi-darkness, enjoying the quiet. 

It's been a crazy busy morning since I climbed out of bed.  Hubs had the television going and the pups were full of energy.  It was a bit much for me, I like the silence.  I'm treasuring this moment in time. I spent the early part of the day cooking up a storm.  My girl decided that we should all get together this evening to celebrate mine and the oldest's birthdays.  They are actually almost two weeks away, but she will be out of town and wants to party early.  Works for us, any excuse to gather with each other is definitely ok. 

Everything is prepped and shortly we will gather to spend time with family and close friends this evening as the temps mellow out. I went with a middle eastern menu because my original plan of hot dogs was shot down cold.  Seems the girl had been dealing with kiddo's for 48 hours and she wanted something grown up. So we will have kabobs, a bulgur salad, a caprese salad, pita's and mixed olives and pickles. It just felt like a summery kind of meal.  Of course we will finish it off with lemon blueberry cheesecake (sugar free of course). It will be fun to simply relax with family and friends, enjoying the beautiful summer weather and the laughter of those we love. 

Kabobs are ready

As usual things didn't all get done like I planned this weekend and as I was upstairs getting ready a bit ago I was thinking about how I struggle to keep track of days anymore.  I used to be able to tell you the day of the week without a moment's hesitation, now... well... it's a good thing Hubs still has set days of the week to do things, because I would definitely forget without his schedule. 

I had to throw in a load of laundry, as the bottle of olive oil slightly exploded on me - suffice it to say the lid popped off, almost dropped it, ended up with it splashing my shirt, my hair and my face.  Thank goodness it's good for your hair and skin, even if getting it out is a challenge. Anyhow, as I was pondering if I should do laundry or not, I realized that I couldn't remember the actual day of the week, did Hubs need work clothes, or could it wait until tomorrow?  

It is such an odd sensation when you aren't really sure of days and times after living your entire life basically wrapped up in a schedule. It's incredibly liberating and calming.  I simply don't worry about things like that any longer.  

Dad... we'd like to talk to you about that
bite of bread, about sharing?  We'll wait.

Time feels irrelevant.  We are moving into the eighth month of the year very soon here, yet it feels like the year has just begun and at the same time, I can barely remember the beginning of the year.  I guess it happens as you get older, I don't know, but it is a gift that I enjoy very much.  

The tasks did not get completed, but life has been savored, so... I'm really okay with it. I've sat and spent time with Hubs.  Ran a few errands.  Chatted on the phone with folks and basically just enjoyed.  Hubs and I worked on our yard and our house, we played with our sweet pups, and relaxed while he watched television.  

Sometimes you need to step outside of the have to do's and simply exist.  It's wonderful.  

Hibiscus Okra getting
ready to bloom 

Today has been slow and beautiful.  I needed the stopping of the outside, I needed the simple. Maybe tomorrow I will step back into the world.  I do have things to do. For now... I'm going to sit here and enjoy this peaceful moment.  With pups asleep at my feet, the wind chimes playing their beautiful music and the silence surrounding me.  

love and prayers...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...