Thursday, July 7, 2022

successes...

After chatting with ya'll yesterday, I finished up a few chores and then just chilled.  I didn't get the jellies done, although I did get the "broth" prepared for them.  I also got the huge pot of veggie stock finished.  And then I stopped for a bit.  I napped, I enjoyed my pups and I did a bit of knitting.  Not sure if it was the heat or simply exhaustion, but I was done.  Yet somehow around 4 pm, in the absolute heat of the day, I decided to do yard work. 

I'm definitely a special kind of crazy.  I am also a special kind of excited about doing it!  The accomplishment feels larger than life.  My sweet Hubs completely took over yard work probably five or six years ago.  My knees simply could not handle it, my spirit was broken by my inability to do what is arguably one of my favorite summer jobs.  He's let me do a bit of the string trimming and even some of the blowing the debris back into the grass, but that is pretty much it.  Not out of a sense of control, or even being ornery, but out of care and compassion. 

Yesterday, I decided it was time.  There was questionable weather moving in and I didn't want Hubs to be out in the extreme heat of the afternoon.  There was a nice enough breeze and I felt strong.  It's been years, so I was a bit nervous, what if I had just bitten off more than I could chew?

I started small doing the basic clean up and string trimming.  Even weeding the front flower beds, just need to clip the sun damaged plants - that is for another time. Finally I moved stuff and pulled out the push mower.  Hubs has a riding mower, I don't like it and never want to learn to use it, our yard is simply too steep and it scares the absolute living daylights out of me. Filled it up with gas and then spent a few minutes remembering how to start it.  

It was hot, sweaty work.  Yet, my entire mood shifted.  I was finally doing my own yard work, after so many years... it was wonderful.  Yep, special kind of crazy. I love the smell of fresh cut grass, it immediately takes me back to being a kid and my grandpa cutting the lawn.  I love to watch the unkempt blades become organized for lack of a better description. I remember begging my dad to let us mow the building grass.  I'm pretty sure it was my sister and I, you'd have to ask her, she has a better memory than I do.

Mostly, I loved that I was able to do the work.  I am a worker bee at heart.  To be strong enough to walk up and down that hill that a year ago seemed like Mount Everest, and not falter or stagger.  I felt like I had won the lottery. 

After heating myself up so much... FYI 104° heat index is not my gig, although frankly it was the darn humidity that wore me down, I decided to semi-relax for the rest of the day.  I just needed a day of rest I guess.  I almost finished another dishcloth, but even gave up on that, it wasn't bringing me joy, it felt like work.  So I tucked it away and spent the afternoon reading and the evening watching an old movie with the Hubs.  "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez.  

I'll just stay here mom...

It was cute, Hubs thinks it's funny, I found large parts of it super annoying and wanted to slap a few of the actresses.  I can definitely see where women would have a hard time being taken serious if that is how they all acted back then.  One more squeal and I would have screamed. As someone that owns a camper, I found the premise that it was only 3000 lbs at 40 ft long and able to be pulled by a car a bit hard to believe, particularly with all of the furnishings and stuff crammed into it, but hey... it was fantasy. 

There is a lot of strangeness going on it the world this week, so I am pretty sure I am going to stay comfy in my personal little paradise and do my stuff.  I don't feel like participating in any of the insanity.  I am so thankful that I have the ability to make that choice.  I've decided today is going to be reserved for sewing and working on those two quilts.  I simply need to get them done and off my plate.  They are beautiful and I am sure having them completed will bring some comfort to the woman that made them.  

supervising the workers next door

Well, a friend is coming by for lunch, so I am going to get busy, I'd like to finish quilting one of the quilts before lunch.  

love and peace... 


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...