Thursday, July 28, 2022

break time...

I needed to take a break, a few minutes to reset myself.  I've kind of cocooned myself inside while the storms have moved through these past few days.  Doing things that fill my soul and calm me inside, puttering through chores, doing a bit of cleaning and purging, working on quilts, reading, resting, snuggling pups, and the like. 

I'm taking advantage of the slight break in the weather and sitting in my beautiful garden.  The cooler trend of the weather has given my a chance for the tomatoes to ripen, the peppers are growing like crazy and the bean bed looks incredible.  All the beans I planted on Saturday have enjoyed the cooler temps and rain as they have all decided to sprout.  We'll see how many make it as the temps rise again next week. I will be harvesting pickling cukes again today.  Seems every time I blink there are more on the vine.  I am definitely pleasantly surprised. 



Tuesday was our nineteenth wedding anniversary.  It's strange, because if feels like far longer... but it also feels like only yesterday. We didn't really get to spend the day together at all, the storms on Tuesday morning caused massive floods here in the Lou and Hubs' spent 90% of his waking hours dealing with one of his buildings. It suffered quite a bit of damage. I started to be upset, but then I realized quite honestly, we don't need a special day to celebrate, we do a darn good job of doing that every day.   I'm blessed to be married to my best friend. 

Whatcha doing dad?  Got time for a snack break?


I spent some of that morning thinking about our wedding day.  How hot it was, we'd planned a float trip with the kiddo's, but weren't able to because the summer had been so hot and dry that the rivers were mostly empty.  Far too low to take a raft down.  Guess somethings rarely change. 

Guarding the stairs, no one passes

I was shocked at the flooding on Tuesday, until I remembered a few years back when the same areas flooded like crazy, almost just as quickly.  I remembered the pictures of cars floating and small creeks unable to contain the run off.  A few years ago, I spent hours with my peers out filling sandbags trying to stem the flow of water. And frankly, everyone got alerts in the middle of the night with plenty of time to choose to either remove themselves or belongings.  The places that got hit, are all in major flood plains with a very long history of flooding.  I was woken up at 2 am, 230 am and again at 3 am with alerts.  Before I had even gone to bed there were 3 warnings put out about flooding. 

When do we realize that the flooding is more "frequent" and "worse" because we have invaded the green space?  Because where grass used to grow to absorb the excess it is now blanketed in concrete, cement and blacktop?  Same thing with the higher temperatures.  Cities are always hotter, nature has been shoved aside. 

I've reached the point that I am not listening to anything the media has to say, I'm tired of hearing it's a 100 year flood.  The reason?  I'm not 100 years old, yet I remember all of these things happening in the almost 20 years I have lived here, multiple times.  Same levels, sometime worse.  I remember the cold in the winter and far worse winters.  I remember the heat of the summer, in fact I remember more than a few of them that were so brutal and ugly.  Just last summer at this time my sister and I took our grand babies to Grants Farm, we were both fairly certain we were going to die of heat stroke it was so unbelievably hot.  So nope.  I'm done.  I don't need an app or a weather forecaster to tell me what the weather outside is.  If I want to know, I will go outside.  But I am done with being lied to.  

My precious littles

Logical and critical thinking rules out all of the rhetoric and I am just tired of the insanity and manipulation.  I'm stepping back from my social media accounts, I'm stepping back from writing a bit.  I need time to step back from all of this stuff, I need a break from what I am watching, feeling and experiencing.  This world has far too many things going wonky on a speeding train and folks are too connected to the stories, they aren't using their brains.  They are accepting unconditionally.  For now... I simply need a break.  

Me and the girls

family gatherings....

I'm going to focus on my garden, my puppies, my family, and my hobbies.  I can't change the world around me, but I can change the world within me... 

love and prayers...


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...