Friday, July 15, 2022

victory gardens...

It's another beautiful morning in the garden.  I've already watered and harvested the tomatoes, peppers are next.  I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but they have to be picked today.  Some will be for lunch and dinner, some will be pickled with onions for a nice summer salad later in the year. I still need to water the raised bed of beans, but I am waiting until after I do the lawn work to do that.  I don't want to try and mow wet grass, nor do I want to wait until the heat of the day to mow the lawn so it can dry. 

I was watching the hummingbird dancing so gracefully in the air.  We have two feeders and it flies between the two, eating to it's hearts content.  I love watching them.  Last year we ultimately ended up with four that visited us on a regular basis. I hope they all return this year. 

The pups and I decided to walk the trail behind Hubs' newest building yesterday.  It wasn't our original plan, but... The first park was FULL of bicyclists, the pups are a bit afraid after the guy almost hit Belle when she was little. So we found another park that we were heading to when Hubs called.  As the GPS said "rerouting"... he'd worn long pants to work and was busy helping one of his team lay carpet, he needed shorts and a cooler top, he was melting.  

So we turned around, got his clothes and decided to try that trail, so we weren't driving aimlessly around.  It was incredible!  We were the only ones there, it was cool and shaded for the most part and ended up at the most beautiful little lake, tucked back in the woods.  The only thing I might have semi regretted at the time was taking the path from the back of the lake back, it was a super steep climb, good path, but sooooooo steep. Having accomplished it, I was pretty darn proud of myself, even if my legs were shaking a bit. 

I am fairly certain we have found a new walking path.  It was absolutely beautiful, peaceful and relaxing.  We stood at the pond and watched the mama duck and her babies floating gracefully by for a few moments.  And Beau even got brave enough to step into the water a bit, sinking into the deep mud at the edge. His four bright white paws were filthy and wet, but he sure loved it.  Belle wasn't too sure about that little adventure and stayed on solid ground.  She was busy chasing butterflies and living her own best life, and it didn't involve dirt or water. 


I'm waiting for it to be late enough in the morning so as not to be rude and wake folks before I start working on the yard.  Gotta beat the mid-day heat if at all possible. It's just super important to me to not be the very person that makes me crazy.  So I figure around 8, I can start walking the yard cleaning up sticks and puppy presents before I get to work on mowing and all the noisy stuff. Then I'll water the beans and the front garden spaces. 

I'm trying to decide where I want to build more raised beds, I'd love to be able to just put the garden in the ground, but my yard is a definite downward slant.  Straight down the hill we go. I do not want to deal with that and all the tree roots and rocks.  So beds it is.  I am also trying to decide how many I want to plant. That is more of a job for autumn, when the weather breaks and I have the leaves to add in to make the soil rich. I most likely will not plant them until spring.  Although I am considering putting in garlic and that should be done in the fall. 

I can't believe we are already more than half-way through this year, it's like time is racing past, did we blink?

I love that I can run away from the insanity of the world in my own little playground. And it does seem the world is getting crazier by the moment.  

I was reading an article in an actual magazine last night about the history of victory gardens.  There weren't many surprises over all, but it was really interesting to read how people started the process.  There was a quote from the 1943 edition of Popular Mechanics that said "two years ago the home gardener leaned on his hoe and said 'it's a hobby'.  Last year he surveyed his first victory garden and said 'it's patriotic'. This year he is in deadly earnest when he looks up from his planting and remarks, 'it's a necessity'.  It also pointed out that two thirds of the victory gardens (12 million was the count) were located in cities, with only 6 million being in rural farm areas. 

I found that to be quite interesting.  I love my little garden, I've had it for years.  Some years good, some years pathetic.  This year I will put in the good column.  I haven't really been in many grocery stores lately, I am mostly shopping at farmers markets, but Hubs stopped to pick somethings up for dinner the other night and had to call me for a substitution list, most of the things on our list weren't available. I guess my little garden might need to grow a bit. 

I am not so sure that all of the HOA's around would love the planting of edibles in front yards, but they may end up needing to allow it if things keep going the way they are.  I was annoyed with the couple across the cul-de-sac that built two mismatched raised beds and randomly placed them in their front yard, mostly because this a couple that plants flower beds and never weeds them, it looks horrible over there.  But at this point, I am rooting for their success, I want them to have a beautiful harvest.  Who cares if the HOA doesn't approve, although it would be nice if there was actually something growing in them both. They are learning. 

Victory gardens were often small, tucked into every usable space. Maybe even just a flower pot of herbs on the front stoop.  Is that where we are heading?  I see more and more people growing things to round out their grocery lists.  Between the costs and the lack of availability, I feel many are going to start leaning back into the old ways.

I just hope they remember to plant some beautiful pollinators at the same time.  Our bees, moths and butterflies need treats too. I was looking at the spaces surrounding my home to see how I could better use the small bit of real estate that I have.  Most of it is covered in large, older growth trees on a steep, rocky hill.  Not really productive for much, but I am sure there are some areas that I can definitely use more efficiently. 

Maybe if I grow more for Hubs and I, then others might be able to get the things that they need for their families?  That was the whole premise of a victory garden.  To provide basics for yourself and your family, with enough to share with neighbors, family and friends and they would do the same.  Therefore taking some of the strain off of the farmers and the supply chains of old.  

Maybe if we all start doing just a little, it will snowball and help everyone?  I don't know.  But I do know that article filled my mental bucket.  It gave me hope that people can and will pull together when the need arises.  I was laughing to myself as I gently scraped the seeds I'd saved from two different peppers I'd gotten at the Amish store onto a napkin this morning.  I've decided to take seed saving very seriously this year.  I want to be able to continue my garden for years to come and help others that want to do the same. 

I guess I should wrap up, it's already mid-70's and I want to finish yard work before we hit the mid-80's.  I don't want the heat to suck me down into a sense of lethargy. I have a lot I want to accomplish today. 

Anyone else planting a garden?  

love and peace....

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...