Monday, July 4, 2022

celebrating...

Happy Independence Day!  For as long as I can remember as a kid, this used to be my favorite day.  I loved the parades, barbecues, gathering with family and friends, the sparkler sticks and fireworks.  Mostly I loved the goosebumps I would get listening to Lee Greenwood sing "God Bless the USA".  

My favorite memory of it was in Sembach, Germany... what seems like a lifetime ago. We were sitting there watching the fireworks, near the speakers so they blended perfectly.  As a military brat July 4th has always been special.  Our families were asked to sacrifice a normal childhood, our "sponsor" often gone and too many times in a danger zone.  We gave up a lot of things that most people took for granted.  So to me being gathered with the "family" that you created to replace the ones you were far away from was priceless. 

It's not the same since I am no longer directly connected to the military.  That is something that is sacred and special to me. I am still thankful for every moment of it, but I no longer gather.  I am far less of a "joiner" and this year in particular I've decided to not do fireworks.  It is the puppies first 4th, I am helping them navigate the loud booms and chaos.  Thankfully, it is going well, they are freaked out for a moment or two when they first start, running through the house barking and trying to figure out the source of "danger".  If I get them in bed before it starts even that doesn't happen.  They curl up beside mommy, feel safe and sleep.  

There is so much hatred, division and lack of common sense running rampant right now, that I simply do not feel good being out in groups and such.  I am happier in my bubble.  I don't want to be a part of any of that.  I am reading a very interesting book right now, and it speaks to all of what we are experiencing today, in this time.  Ironically, it was written in 1991.  If that doesn't speak to the intentionality of these times, I simply can't explain it. 

As we are celebrating our Independence, we are a country that is being destroyed.  It's heartbreaking.  It literally brings tears to my eyes.  As sadly so very much of it, if not all of it, is intentional. And listening to politicians makes me realize that there really are war drums being beaten.  There is a lot of money in wars, just look at what is going on in Ukraine.  Who do you think will ultimately pay for that war? 

The cost of those kind of things is far too high.  They are lowering requirements to join the army, seems they don't have enough troops.  Enough?  Or just not enough that are willing to allow themselves to be used as guinea pigs for "trust the science"?  If they are saying they do not have enough troops... what are their next steps? Drafting our young men?  Will it extend to the young women?  

I'm not happy with the things going on lately.  I am not in a comfortable spot where all of it is concerned.  But I continue to have faith in all that has led us to be a shining light.  I pray that there are still enough people alive that have actually read our Constitution and fully understand all of the true rights it gives us. I have faith that there are enough people that know and are able to see through all of the vitriol and deceit that is being wrapped ever tighter around us, to understand that the division and hatred is deliberately being stirred. 

That pot of deceit, hatred, bitterness, lies and twisted facts is being stirred hard.  Because a people that do not trust or stand together are easily controlled and destroyed.  Sadly, I know many folks that are far too willing to take a face value what is told to them.  They have lost the ability to be discerning and to use critical thinking.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with questioning everything.  With refusing to be manipulated.  When things don't make sense we need to be strong enough in our convictions to question it, to push those envelopes and to stand strong against things that do not match up with our Constitutional rights. 


So many people have laid down their lives to protect those beautiful rights.  So many more have twisted their meanings and tried to make it invalid.  So many younger people today have not learned about the things that make them truly free people, so they don't defend that precious gift. Our education system did that.  Maybe instead of marching in the streets or outside of homes and posting meme's to express displeasure, if they understood the value of those bits of paper, they would realize that the power is truly theirs.  

I was blessed to experience first hand, so many of the fairy tales that are thrown about in regards to the wonders of countries without that precious piece of paper.  I know first hand, that I would never choose to be a citizen of those countries.  In far too many cases, the trade off is not worth the freedom that will be lost forever. 

This Independence day, I am choosing to stay home.  I am choosing to honor the lives sacrificed so that we are free and independent Americans.  I am thankful for them.  I honor them.  I honor the rights and freedoms that have been given to us since the founding of our country.

Our flag flies proudly outside our home.  A family that had defended our country since it's founding lives within the walls.  Happy Independence day, whether it is day off of work for play or a time of reverence and celebration for the gifts given, I hope that you are celebrating in whatever way brings you joy and happiness.  Enjoy your freedom to feel however you feel!


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...