Thursday, April 14, 2022

time to reset...

Today started out ROUGH! I mean like feet hit the floor and start running rough.  Hubs has a super long day and he was trying so hard to be kind, without realizing that it was going to be high stress for me, sure the extra bit of sleep was incredible, but the first words being you better hustle Belle refused to go potty this morning as my eyes popped open set a tone that I was terrified was going to carry through the entire day. 

Before coffee, before a good morning kiss, before brushing my teeth I was rushing to throw on clothes to get them out for their walk, last night did not end well in that aspect and I will be extracting carpets this morning.  I definitely did not want a repeat of that performance.  Quick kiss goodbye and I was out the door with two busy little babies. Hubs waving as he drove past.  All of this before the sun had even considered rising for the day.

It seriously looked like today was simply going to be one of "those" days. 

Hubs had forgotten to grab breakfast and wasn't going to be able to come home for lunch. He was trying to reason through what he could safely eat from fast food - FYI the answer is nothing. So I hurried to get the trash out to the curb, gathered up any that hadn't made it outside over the course of the week, while chatting on the phone with him.  Still no coffee... people, we all know I do not function well without at least one cup of hot coffee in the morning. 

I could have been ornery, I could even have been difficult.  I decided to do the right thing, I hoped it would reset his day a bit also.  I packed him up a healthy breakfast and lunch, fixed up his daily vitamin C and electrolyte drink (forgot to throw in his vitamin pack), loaded the pups and drove out to meet him.  I knew that he would be back closer to our home shortly to pick up the equipment he had to haul around today. 


After dropping off food for my busy guy, I decided the babies and I were going to reset our day.  I had managed to have a small portion of my breakfast and a cup of coffee by that point and knew that I was ready for a different pace. 

Yesterday we'd tried to walk the path along the river.  It is one of my favorite spots to walk.  It's flat, for the most part, it's so peaceful and beautiful and the bonus is it's close to home.  Unfortunately, the storm rolled in on us about an hour early and it was super angry!  Translation: walk got cut super short and all three of us got soaked. 

I decided to take advantage of this beautiful spring morning and take them for their delayed river walk.  I mean my plans for the day were already completely turned around, why not twist them further and restart the day with peace and beauty. 


Four and a half miles later, we are all a bit tired, but we are also much calmer.  I don't know about you, but nature is a calming salve to my frayed nerves.  So much so, that I think the babies and I might have a new morning routine.  

We didn't meet many folks, I am guessing that time of the day is more reserved for those of us that don't punch a clock from 8 - 5 pm.  This also meant there were less distractions for them to work through, more opportunity for them to romp and chase the early morning butterflies.  

I let them set the pace.  I am so amazed at the difference in my walking, since just the beginning of the year.  It only took 81 minutes to walk 4.59 miles.  In January, I was struggling to consistently walk 1.5 miles, afraid still of falling.  Today, I'm not tired and I'm ready to tackle the rest of my day.  I think they enjoyed the pace we walked at, only a few times did they try to walk faster than I had the ability to walk.  They were able to run back and forth and jump up on logs and benches, they were having a blast.  I barely remembered that I had gotten a new knee last year. 


As we walked up the massive hill that starts the walk back to our car, I could tell they were winding down and I was in a far more balanced mood.  I'd listened to a couple of podcasts and the sounds of nature.  We watched the birds taking baths in the water puddles left from yesterday's storms.  They both splashed through a few puddles themselves, I'm not sure they enjoyed it at first, but towards the end of the walk it didn't phase either of them.  We enjoyed the sound of the river rushing past.  It will probably overflow it's banks before long, hard to believe just over a month ago you could almost walk across it.  Now it is rapidly hitting the point of flood stages. 

Sweet Beau is not as agile as his muscle bound sister, so jumping up onto things is not something he excels at, he missed the mark a few times today, by the end of the walk he was consistently making the same jumps that she was with grace and speed.  The look on his little face screamed pride at the accomplishment.  Even though they are getting so big, they are still babies. 

I guess Belle looks more mature than Beau, because the few folks we encountered all pointed out that he was still such a baby.  The look of shock on their faces when told that they were only 5 months old and were actually siblings was quite funny.  Maybe it's her coloring or the fact that she isn't as clumsy?  To me they both still look like the babies they are. 

I might have had a rocky start to the day, but four hours later... I'm sitting here listening to all of the birds outside singing and I'm back in my happy place.  I hope that Hubs is having a good day, and that the gift of breakfast and lunch helped it balance out a bit.  He is going to be hauling a chipper all over the city and a couple of counties today for the different branches to use.  His role won't be terribly hard, just time consuming.  He's also having to drive a van that has definitely outlived it's useful life. Hopefully I am not going to have to go and rescue him anywhere. 


The babies are probably going to rest for a good long while today, which is good, because I spent most of yesterday working on the cutest little crochet bull and they spent it making messes.  I have a lot of housework to catch up on this morning before I can move ahead with the day. 

For those of you that have been praying for my great nephew, he came through his surgery wonderfully. They were able to close his little chest up already so now he just needs to heal and rest.  They are keeping him pretty heavily sedated, because he is simply too busy for his own good.  Thank you all for the prayers and healing energies. 

Well... not much time to sit around today.  Lots of work to get done, the sun is out, the air is fresh, it's time to dig in and get started. 

love and peace


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...