Wednesday, April 20, 2022

making a life...

It's another rainy day here in the mid-west.  Luckily not as rainy as it is a bit further south.  I feel like my family in Arkansas have gotten far more rain that we got when we lived in the Pacific Northwest. My one sister is dealing with a flood in her place of work, and by flood, I mean the building is pretty much going to have to be gutted.  So much water has poured through the roof it is ridiculous. Knowing what they are dealing with down there, I am definitely not going to complain about our little bits of rain every few days, my garden is loving it. 

I think my subconscious heard me whining a bit about feeling rushed and out of control the other day, as it has kindly woken me by 4 am every day since.  I have decided that since it was nice enough to help me obtain more hours in the day, I would make use of them.  My friend is coming over  today to learn to make jellies and since I didn't finish everything I'd hoped yesterday, I decided to get with it.  While talking with my sister on her way to work this morning (her waking hours are even worse than mine used to be) I made up a batch of salsa that is water bathing right now.  I also gathered up the dried onions and put them in the jar to condition, onion powder is definitely happening today. 

I have a few other recipes that I am going to get with it on today, I didn't get to my pizza sauce yesterday, it's incredible what needing one ingredient can do to slow down the process - how did I miss that I needed a lemon? It was worth the wait though and the pickled brussels look amazing.  


My sister thought she was clever and asked me if the homesteader was busy this morning... I really wish I could have a true homestead, but I guess a suburban homestead is better than nothing.  And I am making the most of my little homestead, such as it is.  Those of you that have read for a while know that I am obsessed with "Little House on the Prairie" and might just be intent on living my day dreams. 

Last night I saw a quote "stop eating food made by people that hate their jobs, imagine the type of energy they are putting int the food you end up eating".  It really made me stop and think.  In fact it had me thinking about a lot of things.  

How many people are hating their jobs, that are afraid to step out of their comfort zones and simply do something completely different? A year ago that was me.  I was not happy or fulfilled any longer with my career choice.  The only bright spots for me were the steady paycheck and the few friends that I had made.  I was struggling hard. I wonder if that made me someone that was putting off a lot of negative energy.  Probably.  Even if it was subconscious, I am sure it was there. 

Today, I got up early, walked and fed my babies, fed my husband, talked to my sister, prepped for jelly making and took care of the onions and made salsa all before 7:30 am.  I've cleaned up the kitchen and have a water canner taking care of my salsa and I'm finding time to write. I am in an incredible mood!  I am doing it because I want to, not because I have to.  I feel like that is the difference in my world at this point.  I am doing things that fill me with joy, with a sense of purpose.  I am doing things that I know will benefit my loved ones and I can see the value.  



I had reached a point that I didn't see value in my day to day. When someone says that you don't realize the difference a year can make... I'm here to testify it is a HUGE difference.  In less than a year I am doing meaningful work that makes my heart sing.  In less than a year I have had my knee replaced and eliminated years of pain and limitations.  In less than a year I have lost over 60 pounds, YIKES!  In less than a year I have nurtured friendships and made new ones, things I could only dream of doing before. I don't really remember the person I was, all I remember is that I was horribly unhappy and miserable. I was not living my best life. 

I'm not sure I was living a life.  I am fairly sure I was simply existing.  Moving forward-ish.  


I am so blessed and so thankful for the life I have now.  For being able to make time for what is important and doing the things that are fulfilling.  I am fairly certain my sweet Hubs never eats a meal at home prepared by someone that hates their job.  

Well... today is going to be a bit short... my friend is on their way and it's almost time to make the jellies! I need to get the teas out of the fridge and let them start coming to temperature.  We are making dandelion (tastes like a mild honey - perfect for vegans!), wild violet (tastes like sweet berries), and red bud - and I am not really sure how to describe it's flavor besides yummy.  I love sharing the skills I have acquired, paying it forward is such an amazing way to do things. 

love and peace... 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...