Sunday, April 17, 2022

how we do it...

It has been a very busy Easter so far!  Hubs just headed down to the man cave to "nap", although I hear the television so he's probably watching a movie.  The babies are crashed on the sofa, they have had a busy, busy day.  And I decided to rest for a bit before starting on my list of things I still want to do today. 

Just a few minutes with my feet up and paused.  My body is a bit tired today. We completed 2 walks, a romp at the dog park and foraging for red bud flowers all before ten this morning.  When we got home I fixed Hubs and I some lunch and did a bit of tidying up.  

Being busy gives me a mental break from the world as a whole.

I was in a bit of a bubble this morning.  I see all of the stuff saying that people are standing with Ukraine.  If that is your thing, I'm happy for you.  Sadly, there is a situation in Shanghai, that is equal if not worse on the whole to what is happening in Ukraine, yet it isn't in the news on a grand scale and I don't understand why or how in this day and age people can be so unaware of it. My son was telling me about it a few days ago when he called, sadly I was oblivious at that point also.  It's hard to find any information on it, every time something comes out it is blacked out or taken down. People are sealed in their homes, they are starving to death, they are struggling to survive. My son had sent me a video late last night, I tried to watch it this morning and it was already removed.

I am also questioning why it is hidden?  Do they not want the rest of the world to know of this horrific tragedy?  Or is to see how far they can get with it before we all find out? Whatever it is, it is beyond demonic what is happening to those people.  When do people wake up and witness the insanity that is happening?

All of that really twisted my heart and mind, not how you want to start the holiest of days in the Christian calendar. I felt helpless, I felt lost.  My heart hurts for them in ways that I can't even put into words.  Can you imagine being sealed inside your home?  Slowly starving to death?  Because of fear?  That is what is happening to them. Some of them have long since run out of food and cannot leave to get more. The news is only showing snippets, the stuff that comes out is so much worse. Over Omicron, ya know the version that basically wiped the pandemic out around the world?  What is going on??

Processing all of this has left me with a feeling of hopelessness and I hate it. 

It was messing with my head quite a bit this morning.  I started to go down mental pathways that serve no one. Instead, I decided to focus on my family and loved ones. I am praying for the people that are suffering.  I am sending them positive energy.  But I needed to shift my focus back to my own circle of influence. 

I decided to just keep doing the things. I can't change the world.  But I can change my little piece of it.  So in a few minutes, I will get back to work. 




Before I sat down to rest, I boiled up the water and poured it over the jars full of flowers.  They will need to steep for about 24 hours, so better sooner than later. We came across an amazing batch of jalapeno's that I am going to slice up and pickle, I also found some beautiful pickling cucumbers yesterday and I have garlic, so I will definitely be making some of those yummy pickles that I love.  

It's going to be a bit of a busy day, but it is going to be such a great feeling when I am done. 


It feels like the rain is not too far off, so I'm not even going to try messing in the yard today.  Hubs spent time yesterday helping me with squirrel cages over my radish planters.  I had started the other day, but gave up and simply arched the mesh over them. The way he's done it will definitely deter that little bugger for a bit, at least in the garden. It will also allow the radishes to sprout up and grow without anything blocking them. 


Now I need to figure out how the dang squirrel is getting in the soffit and traveling to the garage.  I gotta tell you, it was massively disturbing to walk into the garage and hear a sound in the corner, we have automatic lights out there and I hadn't opened the garage door yet, I knew whatever was causing it was definitely in the garage.  I stood super still, looking toward the sound, when all of the sudden his big gray body shimmied up the wall and into a hole.  Just as quickly as I saw him, he'd disappeared.  I'm gonna have Hubs help me block that entrance, but I have to find the other one.  If we don't have any luck, I will have to call in professionals.  I am not a fan of our squirrels and my temper with them is definitely getting short. 

Looking over the garden this morning, I am starting to reconsider where I purchase my seeds from, I have been a pretty loyal customer of a Missouri based heirloom seed company. Even though their seeds are not inexpensive, I felt comfortable paying the additional pricing to help keep some of the heirlooms in community gardens.  I have to say, almost all of the beds that I planted with their seeds are struggling.  They either haven't sprouted or if they have it's like they are frozen in time and haven't grown.  The random seeds that I have purchased from other places, including heirlooms, are all doing great.  Even the ones that need longer growth times are growing at a faster pace. Not feeling like I want to spend extra dollars on seed packets that don't sprout or have a lower than average sprout ratio.

It's time to get busy.  I need to start caramelizing the onions that I am going to eventually grind into onion powder (takes at least 12 hours before I can dehydrate them) and I want to get started on my jalapeno's and pickles while everyone is sleeping. 



Celebrate this wonderful day however your soul calls you to do so.  If it crosses your mind to lift up the people suffering around our world, please do so. I always keep in mind that but for the grace of God it could be me. 

love and peace... and Happy Easter!


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...