Saturday, April 16, 2022

staying busy...

It's already 7 am.  Pups have been walked and fed, more canning jars have been ordered, and Hubs and I have talked about the game plan today.  I need to gather redbud flowers before they all fall to the ground. I want to make several jars of redbud jellies.  I know I don't eat sugar, but I do have lots of friends and family that do. Might also gather a few more jars of wild violets and dandelions, not sure.  Today is also about finishing up the little bull and if time allows I might even get the family challenge quilt cut out.  Hubs and I are both behind on that, and only have two weeks to get at least the tops done. 

That moon last night was ravishingly beautiful, anyone else pause to enjoy it?  I sure did.  I have always been the girl looking at the moon. Last night wasn't any different.  I thought I would miss my gazebo in the tree top garden, I don't.  I am finding that I really missed all of the beauty of the heavens. Even with the down turn in temperatures I've spent a lot of time in the fresh air the past few days. At all hours of the day and night. Simply enjoying the beauty of nature as it comes rushing back to life.


I'm going to pick up a case of tomatoes today, Roma's if I can find them - Amish would be better, but it's too early in the year for those, I found a recipe to make my own tomato paste and I seriously want to give it a shot. I found a few others that I am anxious to try also and might just have to price some jalapeno's because I want to try canning some of those also.  

I used to make my own pickles, they were so yummy.  Then time passed and I forgot how I had made them and tried a new recipe.  That batch was horrible and slimy, I haven't made them since.  I figured out what the challenge was and how to correct it.  I'd hot water-bathed them.  Definite no-no.  Open kettle all the way.  So when I am finally able to locate a good batch of pickling cukes that will be next on my agenda. Garlic pickles are amazing! My girlfriend's mom made them on their farm, I still remember the wonderful taste.  And that was probably a good 30 years ago. 

I also found a recipe for onion powder.  Of course you know I am going to dive in on that one. I use a ton of onion powder and frankly, I question what I am really getting in those mass produced bottles and jars. I know the red pepper that I grew, dehydrated and ground myself is incredible.  We use a ton of it in everything imaginable and ration the bits of it so carefully, so as not to waste a single flake.  I can't wait to grow more this year. 

I'm tired of going to several stores to find what I want and need to cook with.  Or having to modify a recipe because I can't find it.  I am perfectly capable of making my own supplies, time to get with it.  I also worry about the growing list of additives that are in literally everything. I'm not interested in that kind of garbage any longer. Yesterday at the pet store was a sign telling us finally why the pet food the babies have been on since birth is hard to find.  This is one of the many reasons I am concerned and worried about where we are headed. Notice that it says through 2022, anyone else realize that we are not even through the fourth month of the year?  I sure did. 


I didn't get around to starting my seeds yesterday, so I will do it today.  I feel like a crazy scientist, starting all these experiments and watching to see how they turn out.  Or maybe I am more like an earth witch, that sounds a bit more stable.  "double, double, toil and trouble... "... or maybe I'm just person in the wrong century.  I think I am definitely okay with that also. Just thankful it's okay for women to wear jeans or pants in this time frame a dress was definitely not conducive to most of those chores. 

I've done a bit more digging into the influence of Taurus and was quite pleased to find that it is about relearning the old ways and skills.  It is a steady and stable influence.  Count me in!

I definitely do not know what the future holds, for any of us.  I know I trust my intuition and it's telling me to get busy.  To move it forward. Each of us has our own path and journey, I love the old ways.  I'm not ready to walk away from them.  I'm really okay being old-fashioned. 

Well... time to get busy, have a great and productive day!

love and peace...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...