Tuesday, April 12, 2022

doing the things...

Lately I am all about staying busy.  I feel it is keeping me grounded in these crazy times we are experiencing.  It is helping me to retain control in times that are anything but controllable. This morning I am a little hazy feeling.  The reason I wrote last night is that I was struggling to unwind, I'd already cleaned everything up and didn't feel crocheting after wine was a great choice.  

This morning, is cold and damp, I'm sure that is a bit of my struggle.  I'm ready for consistently mild days.  Hubs had to be at work super early, so I walked the babies alone.  They are so good it isn't a problem, but they are definitely not mini-pups anymore.  As evidenced by the sweet puppy friend they made this morning who was only 3 months old to their 5 months.  The three of them had so much fun playing and being silly.  Belle was her usual cautious self, although she really wanted to jump in and play, Beau had no such reservations.  He and the puppy had a blast.  I was so happy to see that he realized he was bigger than the puppy and laid down to play on his level.

I'm hoping to make my wild violet jelly today, but need to go and pick up some sugar.  Not something I keep in the house after all.  The violet tea is such a beautiful purple color, the jelly won't be.  It will be a bright pink, as we found out last year.  All this rain is keeping me from being able to gather red buds or dandelions, so those will have to wait a bit.  

This also works great with Red Bud flowers and 
dandelion flowers

I am also inclined to try making a batch of dandelion wine.  I always hear so much about it, but I have never attempted to make it. Anyone have experience? Is it hard?  Do I care if it's hard?  Better question... is it worth it?  I'm up for any challenge if it is worth it. Hubs' boss gifted him the stuff needed to make a cranberry wine and his services to teach us how for his birthday.  He makes wine quite often and it's quite tasty.  We've had everything we need to make it for quite a bit, just haven't made the time to learn it.  His boss found someone selling their entire wine making system for $25 quite some time ago and snatched it up for us. So... the question is, is it worth it?  I mean, I do like wine... 

The more engrossed I become in learning to make my own stuff, the more I enjoy it.  I know the world has become so convenience oriented, I remember working so much that we simply didn't have the choice to do some of the things I now have the time to explore.  Yet having that time now, I don't understand how we became a society that walked away from all of that? How on earth were we convinced to settle for less than?  Did we not notice the food didn't taste as good?  The clothing didn't fit as well?  That we were being led down a destructive path?  Convinced we needed more and quicker?  Convinced that stuff and dollars were the end all be all?




The slower and more intentional lifestyle is so much more fulfilling.  I don't have time for some of the stupid things that used to fill my hours.  I am finding that I spend less time on bland social media or senseless games and more time on things that fill me to the brim mentally and physically.  I feel like my life actually has a meaning tied to the earth.  It's humbling and uplifting all in one bubble. I spend time learning new skills, reading books (yikes) on subjects that I am working to improve, sourcing old books and old ways.  I am developing a strong dislike for "modern" solutions, plans and ideas. Some I value, but too many things just don't add up. 

I took the babies on a walk down our hill to look at the work I need to get done before the fence is installed.  As I was observing tree limbs that have fallen over the winter and need to be cleaned up, instead of seeing it as an inconvenience I saw them as an opportunity. I will break up the smaller bits to dry for kindling and use in the solo stove, or add them to the compost pile I am getting ready to start. The larger ones will be trimmed to fireplace size and stacked for the coming winter.  I have a lot of trees down on the lower part of my property, down the dreaded hill.  Most of those I will leave as they are so the woodland critters have shelter and sources of food.  The decay will be good for the soil. 

I'm debating on the blackberry plants that keep coming back.  I love blackberries, but these are "volunteer" plants that the birdies have dropped for us and they grow randomly and haphazard.  I think I will be cutting them back so the pups aren't harmed, as most of them are inside what will be the fence line.  If I decide I ultimately want to plant berries, I can put some in formally and nurture them to productive plants. 

I also need to start removing the shrubs.  I am not entirely dreading the task, but I am not excited either.  I am going to wait a bit for the rains to subside, as the hill is a bit slippery and I would hate to damage the work the good doc did. 

It's also time to remove any remaining leaves.  to tidy it up and let the spring grasses take over.  We also picked up some soil yesterday, I am going to break up some bare spots in the yard and put down some seed.  I would tear out all the grass and plant a garden if the HOA would allow it, but sadly they don't. 

As you can see, I am definitely in worker bee mode, the joyful part is that the work I am doing directly benefits myself and my family.  I have friends that I can trade with for things I either don't or won't gather or create for myself. I'm building a tribe of people that want to create their own future. 

Yesterday when we went shopping at the hardware store for the things I need to protect my garden from Mr. Squirrel, I was stunned to see how much prices are going up.  It's not only food or gasoline prices that are soaring, it's everything. And I don't see that changing for a good long while, if ever.  I simply don't think we are ever going back to where we were.  

Maybe I'm not behind the times, maybe I have been fascinated and working on developing these skills because my soul knew on some very deep level that the time would come that people like me would be needed again.  That as I moved into the crone phase of my life, the knowledge and skills would be of a benefit to the world we are moving into.  Everything is cyclical... maybe, just maybe that is my role? I had a dear friend suggest that to me the other day, and I felt a calmness around it. 

I don't know, nor do I really care.  Taking care of my family is important to me.  Knowing that I have the skills regardless of what the supply chain does or doesn't provide is important. Knowing that I can help others is something that I value.  We are in a very empowering time, I am choosing to take back my power. 

Beau picking through the toy box

Well, it's time to get busy.  I only have a couple of hours until I need to take the pups to the vet, don't want to waste it. 

love and peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...