Wednesday, April 13, 2022

there's a storm rolling in...

There is a storm blowing in.  Well a real storm. By mid-morning we are expecting super high winds, thunder, lightning and rain, lots of rain. I love it!  All of this beautiful rain is turning my corner of the world vibrant spring colors. Everything is bursting with light and life.  

I am concerned that there is worse storm blowing in that is not filled with those wonderful experiences.  I worry that it isn't so much life giving as it is energetically damaging. One that will cause people harm in many ways, not just physical.  Actually, I feel like maybe we have been in a storm for a long while now, and that it is simply escalating. 

The thing is, I am not sure what the end plan of this storm is.  I have a few ideas, I am not altogether sure for some of us the outcome is going to be what it will be for others.  I am afraid some people will be lost as this continues, they aren't riding the waves, they are being sucked into the under current.  They've either forgotten or never been taught how to avoid an under current and the swirling darkness is grabbing at their legs and pulling them down.  When all they need to do is focus on floating above the danger, don't fight it - you can't beat it that way.  By stretching out and floating they will have the ability to remove themselves from the danger. 

I keep getting alerts telling me what to do to be safe with today's incoming storm. How to seek shelter, where to do and what to do. 


Oddly, I haven't heard any warnings about what to do to withstand the storm that we've been in. I was stunned to hear that we are at 8.5% inflation.  I hated math in school, still not something that I spend my free time playing in, but I can do the math needed to know that 8.5% is a fantasy.  Most everything we purchase, even the taxes that we pay have gone up far more than that. And it might not be terrible if that was the only storm out there.  Unfortunately, that feels like it's just the high winds - at almost a CAT 4 tornado level - I would say CAT 5, but I fear it can still get worse and that is the definitely the plan. 

Throw in the booming thunder of fear that is being drummed up yet again.  The powers that be trying to force people back into their homes and into masks.  If the past two years didn't teach us anything, it should have taught us that the thunder is just loud voices yelling to get their way. 

I am not sure what the lightning is... Maybe it is the mandates, or maybe it is the sheer number of people that have lost their jobs (and no folks are not really hiring), or could it be the "supply chain shortages" that are causing true hardships in some areas?  Could it be the latest call of disease impending that could further damage the food supply?  I don't know, it's so multi-pronged. Or could it be the damage being caused to our youth?  I can't even go there right now. 

I know that I think and feel differently than some of those around me.  I always have. 

I know in a real live storm to secure things that could fly through the air and harm not only myself but others.  I know to seek shelter from twisters.  And not to stand under a tree in a lightning storm.  I've been trained to do that since I was young. 

Yesterday, I took the babies for a walk.  Our beautiful subdivision sits in the middle of some interesting real estate.  I climbed the hill they love to go to the top of to survey their kingdom, because that is how it feels.  As we were standing there looking out on the duplexes that are below us I noticed that almost half of the patios that I could see were covered with container gardens in the making.  In years past there was fancy lawn furniture and outdoor play areas. 

Do you know how to plant a victory garden?  Have you ever done it?  Have you ever worked the land to provide food for your family and loved ones? I know for a fact that most towns and communities that we live in today frown on tearing up your pristine grass and planting a garden.  In some you can be fined and told to remove it.  Are you willing to violate that?  And if you are willing, do you even know how?

I remember being a kid and dad and mom insisting that we got a garden plot whenever we lived somewhere that had them available.  I wish I had one now.  I remember walking through my grandpa's garden with him and helping him harvest the sweetest strawberries that I have ever eaten.  Or learning when the corn was ready to pick.  I remember the huge chest freezer, I was mostly interested in the popsicles stashed in there for treats, but I also remember it was filled with deliciousness that he grew with his own two hands and his labor. 

Do we have basic life skills, because that is what is going to be needed to survive this storm. Do you possess a strong work ethic, the willingness to have dirt under your nails, aching muscle from hard labor, or even the willingness to learn new skills?  To make and create the things that you are used to running up to the store or out to a restaurant to grab? Or have you fallen into a trap not of your own making.  Lured by the ease that life has been?  

Try finding a television show that factually depicts what life was like the last time the government crashed the economy. Yet we are lured into watching hours of television, full of ads for things we want, creating a fantasy life that all of us would love to have. 

We recently had an election, there was a proposition on there in our entire county to add another tax on all internet sales.  This was to add additional taxes by the city to the state tax that you already pay on internet purchases. I was curious as to the over all outcome of that vote and had to do some serious searching to find the answers.  It wasn't like I could simply click a single place for election results, easily and without searching. What I found the most disturbing was the trends. The two middle highest income areas passed it. The lowest, poverty stricken areas passed it.  And all of those in the middle areas said no. 

Here's the thing.  It was being sold as you would get more "free" benefits from your local governments,  they simply needed more money to survive and build a budget (even though my own town had a large surplus the past two years), but mostly, they were going to take it to give every one more free things. 

Folks, nothing is free in this world that we are living in. Stop and think about it.  Today I will do my taxes, I am sure I will write a very large check to Uncle Sam and my state government.  Because they feel they need more and more of my hard earned dollars to exist on.  Then stop and think about the fact that congress just voted to give themselves a 21% cost of living pay raise.  Where is that coming from?  And frankly why do they need it?  True leaders take care of the flock, not enrich themselves off their backs.  

You are free to think and feel the way you want.  As am I.  I'm tired of being a sheep being groomed for slaughter.  I'm tired of all my labor enriching those that have never gotten their fingernails dirty trying to coax some vegetables from the ground to enrich their own families. 

Today's incoming storm is nothing compared to the one that we've been in.  As I began typing this, I truly felt like this storm was recent. As my brain explored my thoughts and feelings in depth while I was typing, I realize that this storm has been here a long time. Longer than most of us will even realize.  Most younger people today have never grown food, can't even sew on a button and frankly (based on how busy restaurants and fast food places still are) have limited ability to cook and prepare their own meals. 

This storm has been here for a very, very long time.  Slowly but surely activities that can benefit growth and knowledge have become "uncool" and are disappearing.  Kids don't want to work in the food industry (they would learn from the labor), I don't know if any schools have 4H clubs or Home economics courses anymore - although even when I was going through school I learned more on how to clean the kitchen than the skills I needed and that was over 40 years ago.  Do schools have wood-working or shop classes anymore?  What about automotive classes?  Is that taught anywhere?  

Or do I truly belong to a very extreme clique of people that simply didn't move on?  That thrive with all of those random and useful skills.  Please don't ask me to play a video game with you, I can't.  Or maybe it is that I won't. I took computer programming courses, I can use most modern technology with skill and ease, the thing is... I don't want to. 

I will still have struggles if some of the things I am used to having at my disposal go away.  But I know that I possess the basic skills to survive, even clumsily. Are you part of my tribe?  Are you crazy busy preparing for this part of the storm that we are now in?  Do you have your storm shelter ready?  Supplies on hand? 


I sat with my awesome girlfriends last night for a couple of hours pinching dandelions to get them ready to make jelly.  One of them had gathered a huge bag of them on her way home from work.  While she was gathering them, I was sitting in my yard gathering more wild violets. We are working on improving our skills and providing for ourselves. We talked about different things that we either feel we need to learn or start doing more of to stop being so reliant on things that might not continue to serve us.

I need to take my babies out for a long walk, they will not want to go out in the incoming storm, and I need to get busy working on getting prepared for the storm.  Working on having back ups and plan b's for the crap life is throwing at us. I hope you are at least paying attention to the incoming storms.  That you know how to lift your legs and float so that you are not sucked down.  I pray that my family, friends and loved ones, heck everyone is ready for whatever life throws at you.  Don't wait for someone to come and save you?  Because the reality is that has never been the plan, need a reminder - look at some of the areas of our world that have been destroyed by natural disasters and man made ones.  Look at the devastation to inner cities and ask yourself why. 

Gotta get busy... love and peace...


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...