Thursday, October 28, 2021

shrinking to grow...

Hubs and I stopped at the local feed shop to buy our birdseed, our feathered friends count on us for a bit of a supplement to their wild diet.  And we truly enjoy watching them outside the window.  Initially, I wasn't going in, I mean seriously do you need two people to buy a bag of birdseed?  But Hubs called me and told me I needed to come in, that it was critical. Not sure what he wanted to show me I dutifully trotted in.  

As I entered the door the most adorable "greeter" came running towards me, all of his wrinkles wiggling in different directions with the big grin that only a baby English Bulldog could have!  Chunk is an 8 month old bulldog with the same beautiful brindle markings that both of my parents bulldogs had, my heart melted!  He's the owners pup.  He sure tried working me, leading me to all of the boxes of dog treats that were just slightly out of his chubby little reach.  I would have given in and bought him one if he hadn't just dropped the giant hoof he was working on when he saw me come in. 

My day was instantly improved. And it was great to begin with!  I'd been creating and cleaning out all morning, I felt refreshed and energized from all of the productivity that filled my soul.  We'd just come from finishing up the winterizing of our camper and I was working on a Christmas present while we drove.  Yep, I was in an exceptional place.  And the chubby little munchkin just sent it through the roof in the joy department.  I love bulldogs, Hubs... not so much.  It's okay, I just love on everyone else's babies. 

As we were heading out, we hadn't done any further shopping, nothing else was on my list.  But I was deep in thought as we left when I saw the sign.  I have never been a huge proponent of the big box stores.  Although, life had often meant I took the easier path and patronized them.  Just out of exhaustion and poor planning. 

That sign made me seriously stop and think. 

As I walked into the feed store, the counter guy was walking out with Hubs to load the seed - because that is simply what they do. While I was bending over the owner came out of the back as a customer had asked for him.  I only overheard a bit of the conversation, I was standing beside them but was engrossed in puppy love.  The owners father had just passed away the night before, the long time customer was there to offer condolences. There were tears and comforting hugs, an offer of support. 

These are not the kind of experiences you have in a big box store.  I mean I did just detail our final trip to a Walmart in this town, not at all the kind of experience one wants to have. 

So... back to the sign, I was already processing all of what I had just experienced when I notice the sign.  Hubs and I had been having a lot of serious conversations lately regarding where do we spend our hard earned dollars. What do we support?  

The sign brought it into 20/20 focus for me. 

I've been seeing all of the meme's about Christmas being on the ships in LA harbor, the lady riding a jet ski from ship to ship shopping.  While meant to be humorous, it strikes me differently. 

For a long while now I have mourned the loss of the Mom and Pop shops.  The family run diners.   The loss of community surrounding them.  With eyes wide open Hubs and I long ago made it our quest to not frequent the chain restaurants unless there was absolutely no other option (for example traveling and all that is available) we absolutely don't frequent fast food - with the exception of an occasional Mango water from Sonic.  And yes, I understand and respect that most of the places are semi-locally owned. 

I find myself shopping more and more from local crafters and artisans (if I cannot make it myself), I find myself willing drive the extra distance to find a local butcher, stopping at farmers markets and roadside stands to support the families. We haven't been doing it enough.  We are definitely going to be doing it more. 


For far too long we have been part of the problem.  Supporting big box businesses.  I have felt the shift in my heart in the past few months during our travels, when I have bought my fabrics and yarns from small local shops.  Do I wish that there were more mills here in our country again, yes.  Will I always purchase roving or handspun yarn from someone working hard to earn a living, yes.  Can we do even better... I believe we can. 

Instead of finding ourselves tied to the whims and worry of the big companies, can you imagine the impact of community supporting one another?  

Just like I said yesterday, as I am cleaning out my closets I want to give my nice clothing to friends and family, heck even my neighbors if they could use it.  I am finding more neighbors doing the same, people are giving their extra's or no longer needed items to their local community.  It fills my heart with joy to see posts for puzzles, books, furnishings, even laundry detergent, people are helping people. 



I've seen posts that this person has too many herbs, tomatoes or zucchini and they are offering it to anyone willing to come and get it and use it. I didn't have too much, in fact I am still harvesting the last of it, and praying for a few more weeks above freezing, but I will share if anyone needs it. 

People are offering their talents and skills to one another at a fair rate, the money they are earning is in turn being spent locally.  Everywhere I turn there is another opportunity to go small.  Sometimes it costs a few pennies more, but I do believe it will all balance out. I mean seriously have you bought groceries lately?  Dear lord!  And gas is over $3.18 a gallon, was it really $1.50 in January?  People need to wake up and take control back... 

I don't think everything can be purchased small, at least not yet.  But I do believe we are heading in that direction. The world is definitely changing.  We stopped at the local grocery last night Hubs is craving tamales and I found a recipe that would allow me to a tamale pie without grains for him, as we picked up a few random items I saw shelves bare.  As I looked at what exactly was missing I found it super interesting.  The items were things that honestly none of us has any business consuming anyhow.  Sugar laden drinks for children, processed corn-syrup filled snacks, basically the junk that has been slowly killing us all of decades was in short supply.  

My brain had to question if that was the "stuff" sitting in the harbor or had people panic bought like they did with toilet paper? 

Will switching to a more local buying mindset change some of our consumer patterns?  Of course.  Yet as Hubs and I are moving into a different phase in life, I am noticing that some of old patterns have already slipped away.  He used to buy me clothes to distraction, I'd tease him that he'd evidently always wanted a doll to dress because I could never wear everything he bought me. Since spring, I have bought a few things to switch from a professional lifestyle to a casual lifestyle, but I am not in a hurry to buy more clothing.  I feel so much more freedom having just a few things per season.  And that selection is going to get smaller, I simply don't need it all. 

Hubs is becoming the same way. He's lost a lot of weight, and truthfully he will need to purchase some clothes soon.  But it's a minimal amount that he is willing to spend. It simply doesn't seem important, we are planning for next steps. As we step back from consumerism we are finding a sense of peace and comfort. We'd rather have funds for doing things instead of owning things. Shoot even the campgrounds we are frequenting are mostly small family owned. 

Do you support the local businesses?  Am I being too simplistic in my thoughts?

A town next to ours has a special ballot out there to raise their city tax by 1%.  A lot of people mindlessly vote for those increases without doing their homework.  I have been watching it with great interest, because some of the businesses that I like to frequent are in that town.  As the discussions have been raging on with some people are pointing out that none of the other tax increases have sunset yet and it will bring their city tax to over 10%, people are starting to take notice.  Several people have questioned why there are not formal plans for what that 1% will go to, just a 5 year "infrastructure plan" to repair their roads.  I will admit their roads need the help, but why do you need a 40 year 1% increase to take care of a 5 year project.  The part that I am finding most fascinating is the number of people that are finally pointing out the damage it will do to the small businesses. The locally owned ones that get their bread and butter from the local community. 

How many communities have used this same logic?  1% seems like nothing.  So minimal, sure let's vote yes, our streets suck... you get the picture.  Yet when someone applied that 1% increase to the price of buying a car in their town (by the way they aren't going to tax the car sales) the increase in sales tax would be $100 per $10,000.  Do the math. 

Between big box businesses, chain stores and restaurants the little guys are struggling to simply survive. Add to that tax increases that push consumers into other cities... well to me it just doesn't make sense.  

Maybe, just maybe it is time to start thinking small.  The majority of jobs are provided by the small fries.  The majority of money that is turned right back into our communities comes from those very people, they generously support fundraisers and events in the community, because they love and believe in their community.  Have you ever tried for support from the big boxes? I have... it's not about love... it's about how they can write it off and its a form. 

Next week Hubs and I will order our wood from the feed store, and I think it's time I spend a little of my time finding the best places to support local. I want to be part of the solution. I want to stop feeding the machine that is destroying our country.  

I want to be part of the small movement, and not just on "Small Business Saturday"... I want to support the families that get up each day to make a difference.  The ones that bring their pets to work with them, that create relationships where someone will come out to offer condolences during a tragedy or loss.  I want to support the places that have small fundraiser jars on their counter because someone connected to them needs help.  The ones that you find giving their staff the day off to fill sandbags during floods.  The ones where you can talk to the people and get to know them.  


Maybe we need to eliminate the excess and get back to simpler times?  I mean it's just a thought... a thought I am turning into action... Wanna join me?  I'm dying to hear some ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...