Tuesday, October 5, 2021

connecting...

Good morning!  Anyone else still laughing about the reactions to the  Great Facebook Blackout of 2021?  I am still deeply humored and semi-wishing it had stayed gone.  So... what did you do with your time yesterday?  

I had already tapped out of FB long before the shutdown, although I was surprised when my friend called to ask why I hadn't replied to her message... we'd been chatting via messenger, we are both of the age that texting is not fun or quick - unless you voice to text and we all know how many times auto correct changes what you say when you do that. I was busy working on my Monday to-do list, which definitely got pushed aside at the thought of spending a day visiting with one of my absolute dearest friends. 

I will admit that we spent a lot of time cracking up at all of the reactions to Facebook being down.  For a moment each of us were concerned, we had friends that we talked to but realized that access to Facebook was the only way we had to connect.  Phone numbers and addresses seem to be a thing of the past. We were concerned that we might have lost contact with them, because we fail to connect on that level anymore. We also stopped for a moment to think if we had any photo's or memories or ideas saved to the book. And would we hate that we lost those. 

Mostly we just ignored it, laughed hysterically at a million things - some connected to "the crash" and enjoyed life.  We sat and sipped our water on the deck, watching all the different types of birds that stop to visit our feeder.  We even had a beautiful mourning dove stay far quite awhile making a huge mess at the feeder and then fly over to a branch nearby and sit with us.  She was a relatively new addition to our treetop garden. 


So many people were stressing over the loss of the book.  It really got me to thinking.  Do I enjoy it, sure.  I like to share things with friends and families, I chat with so many folks via messenger, and I follow all my favorite hobbies and cooks for inspiration, directions and recipes.  I also follow so many sites that fill me with hope each day, with positive and uplifting thoughts, ideas, quotes, etc. I would miss those things if lost forever. 

On the flip side of the coin.  I truly feel that too many people today are completely disconnected from reality because of the book. People have forgotten how to be humans.  There are fewer and fewer face to face conversations.  We seem far more comfortable projecting life, than living it. 

My day yesterday took a huge right turn when my friend was able to come and visit.  I have dearly missed the time I used to be able to spend with her.  Laughing, talking, day dreaming, just being together, we are very similar and our conversations become animated and crazy and then serious and solemn back to animation almost in the blink of an eye. That she had time to come and have a home cooked meal and visit was a definite gift from the universe!  I hope she needed the time and visit as much as I did. 

When she called, I immediately stopped worrying about my to do list, I didn't worry about anything but getting dressed (yes I was still lounging in my pj's at almost 10:30 in the morning - dang was it closer to 11? oh well) before she arrived.  Luckily she lives far enough away that I didn't have to kill myself to be ready.  I also started a big pot of soup to share with her as we visited.  It was an absolutely great day. 

And guess what?  The to do list didn't grow or expand, the world didn't stop turning because it wasn't done.  In fact, as I started over this morning, there was more joy in doing the things.  Because I had taken the time to enjoy my friend and the gift of her time. 

My sister had text me later in the day to find out if I had made some muffins I'd mentioned.  I have more "free time" so I sort of do the test kitchen role for us when we see a recipe that we both would love.  I almost died laughing when I told her nope, I'd spent the day visiting with my friend.  And how much I'd missed her.  Her response was that I miss people in general. 

To a degree she is right.  I do miss people in general, not enough to take the radical steps she'd suggested, but enough that I cannot wait to be healed and spend more time with humans. On my own terms of course.  I am not a fan of forced peopling.  The people I want to spend time with, I want to spend time with even more than ever.  The people that I am not a fan of... well... no thanks, I don't need that any longer.  

My circle is fairly tight.  I like it that way. 

I like those rich, deep friendships.  The ones that are like a pot of soup simmering and melding together.  The fill you with a warmth and richness that can't be compared to that can of Campbell's.  I don't do people just to do people. 

This morning as I was adjusting my list and planning my day another friend called.  She needed to simply talk through a rather harsh experience.  I would have loved to climb through the phone and hugged her and held her while she processed the feelings that were tearing at her heart.  Of course that wasn't possible and the week is full for both of us, so instead we made plans to get together next week.  I am already excited to spend the time with her, we will craft, talk, dream, and share our thoughts and feelings.  Hmmmm... it appears that I have a fairly reoccurring theme to my friendships. 

Today isn't as frantic as yesterday felt when it started.  The task list is almost identical, but the calmness in my soul is much gentler.  Maybe I should shift tasks to Tuesdays?  Spend Mondays regrouping?  Who knows, I honestly like my unscripted life quite well. 

The week is short again, Friday will find us off on another adventure.  This time to see my one and only sister in law.  The weekend promises to be full of fun and just plain old time together, we've all been waiting a couple of months for this.

Is it just me or does time really seem to be moving super fast?  Another year has almost flown past.  Time is precious... so let's loop back to the book. Maybe it's time all of us take our friendships to a deeper level.  Maybe we learn from yesterday, reach out and let the people we cherish know that if they want a deeper friendship than the book, we need to make sure we have that way to connect should it disappear tomorrow. Or heck today, after the lesson from yesterday.  A way to send a card (I have a dear friend that sends them to me often, and they fill my soul with pure joy), a way to text or call to simply say you have been on my heart and I needed you to know you are special to me. 


I have some work to do.  I want those permanent connections with the people I care about.... 

Love and peace... 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...