Monday, October 11, 2021

rainy days and Mondays...

How did Monday get here so quickly?  Time seems to be moving at an incredible speed lately or rather marked time does.  I feel like I am living in this weird space and time bubble.  My days are filled with things that bring me joy and they seem timeless, one thing blends seamlessly into the next.  I don't feel rushed most days and I live in a state of calmness.  I love my life!  And then I look at a clock or calendar and I have a near panic attack.

I long to be sitting out on the deck while I wait for the Cinnamon donuts to finish baking.  Enjoying the fresh, cool air.  Unfortunately the rain that was kind enough to wait for us to enjoy the weekend has arrived and it is much too soggy. In fact the thunder, lightning and wind are pretty much insuring I don't wander to the deck and sit. 

This is my kind of weather.  I am perfectly content to stay inside and enjoy the beauty and energy of the storm through the windows.   


We spent the weekend halfway between our home and Sis's.  A little, not so little, town called Hopkinsville in Kentucky.  Personally, I fell in love with it's quirky streets, the diversity and quaint shops.  I would love to be able to purchase one of those beautiful old buildings that are slowly being developed into AirBnB's.  Although I am a bit perplexed by the fact that there are so many.  We did not wander into Tennessee, but I do know there is a military base not far from there, just outside of town I believe, so maybe that is why.  



We didn't have too much of a plan, no where concrete that we wanted to explore or experience. This weekend was simply about family time.  Of course I did want to help Sis learn how to service her beautiful featherweight Lucille, and we had a few gifts that we wanted to give to her.  They were for her birthday and Christmas (November and December respectively) but Hubs doesn't do well with waiting - at all!  Hello my sweet two year old... so she got to open both of them this weekend.  I am guessing we did okay in our selections as both of them were smiling and maybe a tad teary eyed. 



Hubs and I left early enough for a short stop in Paducah.  I simply cannot drive right past, I needed to stop by my favorite rock, yarn and fabric shops and of course the quilt museum.  All of which was accomplished before heading on to our destination. 















I had wanted a reticulated quartz for my sister and they had just the thing, I will send it south with my daughter this weekend. I have been wanting a pendulum for dowsing.  My trip definitely yielded both of these things. 

I really had no needs in the other two shops, they just fill my eyes and soul with yummy goodness.  But neither of the shops failed to provide a treasure I couldn't live without.  There is another baby making his appearance in February and I found the most perfect fabric for his quilt, not that I am making it any time soon, but... never hurts to be prepared. 

And I might just need to stay out of Tuscan Rose... because I absolutely cannot help myself. She offers such a wide variety of yarns, so many that I have never tried and the colors that she dyes them.  It is a visual candy shop and even more addictive than sugar.  You know I left with some beautiful yarns, heck I already worked one of them into a hat.  It was supposed to be part of my Christmas gifting list, not sure that is going to happen. 

I told myself I was not buying any more supplies.  I have enough to keep me busy forever.  I did not keep my promise - exactly. 

Saturday morning on our quest for quilt shops we encountered a few antique shops first.  Hubs, Sis and I were in heaven.  Hubs can explore antique shops for days!  He rarely purchases anything, but he always spots a few treasures tucked in corners that take him back to times gone by.  He will show me so many gadgets that his parents or grandparents used on a daily basis.  He tries to trip me up on what they are or were used for.  I can guess fairly well, but there are always a few that stump me. 





As usual I was on the search for featherweight sewing machines (where do all these lucky souls find them tucked in a corner forgotten??), old quilt tops or blocks and old embroidery bits. I cherish the old sewing items they are so beautiful and soft, and one of my favorite quilt artists never fails to inspire me, if you haven't seen Kelly Cline's quilts and pin-cushions you are seriously missing out. That woman can take a top or embroidery that looks like a hopeless cause and turn them into a beautiful and cherished quilt or pin-cushion. The most amazing thing about her (besides her talent) is that she isn't at all shy about helping you learn to do the same thing.  

So needless to say I was on the hunt!  I didn't find a featherweight... I think those stories might just be fairy tales to inspire the hopeless.  But I did find some fantastic antique blocks - so did Sis.  I found enough lanterns to make an entire quilt, someone carefully pieced them by hand and used bits of feedsacks throughout. I also found some beautiful appliqued squares, the name of the pattern is escaping me right now.   They are a beautiful muslin with pink and green applique.  Unfortunately, they are a bit stained up.  I am going to try washing them, if it works, great... if not they are going to get either tea or coffee dyed.  There are enough of them for a full quilt also.  Not a bad haul for $15. Sis did a better job than I did and got enough beautiful blocks to make at least 3 full quilts.  The crazy blocks were my favorite and it's a good thing she snagged them up, because if she hadn't I would have and I need no more unfinished projects... haha... says the woman who wasn't done for the day. 

The two shops that I adored, were where I found the blocks and embroidered work. They were such different shops, one gave me complete anxiety it was so packed full of bits and pieces with little bitty spaces to walk.  My claustrophobia was absolutely off the chain in there.  The second was so neat and tidy.  Each thing set up so carefully it made me sad to move anything while shopping.  We went to a third shop, and the overwhelming factor for me was far too much, I ended up waiting out in the truck and crocheting.  Hubs and Sis had a great time and Sis found a treasure that she has been searching for, so... it was worth the time. 

The sweet woman at the second shop gave us a tip on where to find an incredible quilt shop, let me tell you they must all work together to send you to the most addictive spots around.  Because Trenton, Kentucky is incredible!  What we saw was basically a wide spot in the road... but what a spot it was!  One one side of the street there is a huge yarn store, that I could have absolutely moved into and never stopped knitting and crocheting. On the other side of the street was the most incredible quilt shop.  I mean seriously, I could move to this town.  Although I would definitely have to return to a traditional job, because I would live permanently broke. The whole town was those two shops, a soap shop, a deli, a couple of other stores that I forgot to really give any attention to and evidently there are AirBnB rooms above the deli, at least that is all that we saw.


In the midst of all the treasure hunting, we found so much time for laughter, card playing, talking, finding great local spots to eat our meals in and simply just being together!  The two days together are never enough.  We always wish we lived closer and could spend more time together. Knowing we are sneaking up on the winter weather makes it a touch worse.  We probably won't be physically together until sometime in the spring. 


I'd remembered reading that Edgar Cayce was from Hopkinsville and was over the moon to be able to pay our respects.  He was such an interesting man and he helped so many. We stopped by there after we got Sis on her way south, before we headed out of town. 

As much as I love traveling, uncovering treasures, having adventures and spending time with family and friends, I also love coming home to my little spot of paradise. We aren't running away this weekend, we are staying home.  It makes this week feel longer and calmer.  My Monday rush isn't hitting me as hard... But I wouldn't trade the weekends for anything. 


I guess it's time to stop rambling, the coffee is cooled, the cinnamon donut with browned butter icing has long since been eaten and I really do have stuff to do.... 

Here's to a wonderful Monday everyone! Love and Peace...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...