Monday, August 29, 2022

time well spent...

Deep dark rain clouds came rolling in, it seemed like the perfect way to wrap up an incredibly busy weekend.  The thunder was loud and constant, the drops were the big steady kind that the earth loves.  I didn't know it was coming, I wouldn't have watered in the morning. But, after a long semi-dry summer, I guess a little extra won't hurt at all. 

Hubs and I worked in the garden a lot over the course of the weekend.  Saturday morning by 8 am, he decided that we should trim up the trees that were causing us challenges.  The one branch had grown so much it was blocking the steps down.  The other provided way to much access to the garden for our little squirrel friends and was growing into the entire side of the garden.  It needed done, although I was willing to wait until fall after the harvest.  

I was afraid of damaging the garden, over all it didn't.  We lost one branch of a bush bean that was finally deciding to produce.  I didn't see it or I would have harvested the little beans, hopefully the critters will find it where I tossed it down the hill.  Still not bad for all of the overgrowth the garden was dealing with.  It puts a bit more sun on the deck, but it also keeps the branches for ending up hanging super low when the rain is steadily falling. 

After puttering around, harvesting and pruning plants and trees we decided to run our errands.  I simply think I will be avoiding shopping at all on Saturdays, I become so anxious surrounded by so many people.  I almost felt like I was going to have a full blown anxiety attack by the time we headed home.  People are changing so much that it was completely unpleasant. 

I felt  like I expended every bit of energy I possessed trying to navigate being out in public. I simply don't have any desire to be part of the world lately.  I enjoy being home in my little bubble. 

Yes that is wine... I earned it!

Yesterday was filled with canning, Hubs found a great deal on Roma tomatoes and I had 50 pounds to can up.  I canned so many diced tomatoes and made so much tomato sauce.  I'm kind of tired of cutting tomatoes right now, but I am crazy thankful for the sheer number of pints of each that I have.  I'm also drying out skins to grind up into powder and will use the cores in my broths.  Pretty darn good investment for only $30 plus tax. I had started at 7 am and as the clock let me know it was almost 7pm the final canner was depressurizing. I was almost done canning for the day.  I will admit, I was tired of cooking at that point.  



I was ready for a glass of wine and a rest.  This storm was making me feel mellow and calm.  If we had been finished with the canning already, we would have gone and joined our friends for an early dinner. Instead Hubs grilled us up some burgers and we worked on organizing the cantry.

definitely not the final layout,
but not bad at all...

I started to finally work on our "family" quilt, my sister in law, her daughter, Hubs and I are all working on the same pattern.  They both have theirs almost finished, Hubs and I hadn't started.  I couldn't decide on the fabric for mine, I think I ordered three or four layer cakes.  I finally decided that I was going to use the camper designs and make mine for the camper.  I am about half way through with piecing the blocks and started laying it out on my design wall yesterday.  I will definitely need to add a few pops of color into the boarders.  So far I am fairly happy with it, so far, I can't wait to see what it looks like when all of the different fabrics are represented. Hubs hasn't started his, but is starting to talk about it. 

I also started loading another one of the antique quilts I rescued.  I had to laugh while ironing the top to load it.  Boy oh boy is it going to be a challenge.  Very little of it is even remotely square or even.  But the beautiful feed sack materials and the fact that it was hand-pieced really called to me when I rescued it.  I want to finish it for the original quilter.  I managed to match (at least semi-closely) the muslin from the front for the backing, so that will make a huge difference in how it lays.  I finally feel the need to quilt again, maybe it's the changing seasons.  Who knows. 

Belle brought him a toy while he napped,
she wanted to play...

This morning will be interesting.  My sweet boy has a vet appointment, and I am only taking him with me.  This will be close to the first time in their lives they have been separated for more than a quick walk down the road or them choosing to be in different parts of the house alone.  I am physically taking one of them somewhere without the other.  I am hoping it goes smoother on both fronts than I expect.  I would take Belle with us, but she is far too protective of her brother.

I'm in that awkward time of the day.  My appointment is in two hours, so not enough time to really start my projects and too much time to feel comfortable with the wait.  Ugghhh... not leaving the house much does create some interesting feelings when I have to.  

I guess I will go make a few smoothies for breakfast and maybe start another load of laundry, I'm sure I have enough little projects to keep me busy for another hour and a half... 

love and peace....

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...