Monday, August 22, 2022

gratitude and joy...

Good morning from the treetop garden!  I'm sitting here beside my fading little fire, enjoying this beautiful morning.  I can't believe it is late August and I needed a sweatshirt to sit here beside the fire to push back the chill.  How utterly amazing. The puppies decided we should get up early today, Daddy woke up at four so mommy shouldn't sleep past 4:15 am should she?  Those "little" pups are huge now so those tiny jumps will take the breath right out of you when you are deeply asleep.  

I tried for about fifteen minutes to ignore them, but they can be quiet insistent when they want attention, besides, by then my brain had fully engaged and there was no drifting back to dreamland.  Instead it was full of random thoughts... ya know the kind... what in the world are they fighting over, is that going to choke them, oh goodness am I getting pounced again, should I just get up and start the day, what all do I need to accomplish, I could be using this time productively... yeah that list and more barged in loudly and on auto-repeat. 

As I led them downstairs my eyes were still semi-closed, my feet felt leaden, I really was still sleepy and to top it off the coffee wasn't even brewed yet.  As soon as I walked out into the garden so that they could go outside I felt whole and fresh.  The slight cresent of the moon was barely visible through the trees, I would have expected it to be further west, but I am sure that is a sign of the changing seasons.  The sky was clear and filled with stars, the air was crisp and clean.  I cherish my time outside.  


Right now I am sitting here watching what appears to be an entire family of squirrels (one of which is pure white) racing through the canopy of the trees high above the garden.  They are running through the branches, assuredly jumping and flying gracefully through the air when the distance is a bit too far.  I love watching them, as long as they stay out of the garden.  So far I've seen 5 of them.  Every few moments there is a slight chattering sound from their direction, I don't have any nut trees out there, so unfortunately they are doing any preparing for the cold winter that will soon be upon us. 

Pretty sure I am his support human,
yes he is lying on my legs


The pups are 9 months old now and every day they loose a few more of their puppy fears.  This morning they happily romped for hours in the darkness, something unheard of even a few weeks ago. I've watched them timidly more further and further out from the light.  Today felt like the day they grew up.  As they wrestled, played, ran and romped over the course of the entire yard.  They just got baths on Saturday, today, they look like little mud puddle pups again. Belle will groom herself.  Beau, nope, he is pure boy, he will proudly sit there covered from head to tail and everything in between with a puzzled look on his face that you are concerned with his appearance.  All he needs is a backwards baseball cap to finish the look. They both just went inside to take their morning nap, Belle as tidy as you please and Beau moving through the house like my personal Pig Pen from Charlie Brown. 

why lie on the mat when you can lie in the dirt?

brave explorers in the early dawn

I'm not a huge fan of non-stop sweeping and vacuuming, but they are living their best lives and bringing me boundless joy and happiness.  What's a little dirt?

The seasons are definitely shifting, each day there are a few more brightly colored leaves lying on the deck, the bright reds are starting to pop up in the trees.  My garden is transitioning.  I've let a few things go to seed, in fact just this morning I picked a huge yellow pickle, I will harvest the seeds in a short while.  It was so prolific that I want to insure I have the same plant next year.  There is still active growth on most everything, tomato bushes are heavy with fruit, peppers and beans abound.  My okra is still putting out long slender pods. 


This morning while I was drinking my coffee and watching puppies I decided I may as well work in my garden, there was plenty of light and it was definitely cool enough.  There is something magical about working in the moonlight in your garden.  I watched the spiders spinning their webs, working frantically to get them finished before mornings light, planning for the feast they will have tonight when the sun sets. I braced the tomatoes to hold them tall, so many of the plants are still covered with beautiful tomatoes. 


I am going to harvest some of the green beans here in a bit, I'll can them up in the stews that I will make today.  As winter makes fresh, local veggies hard to find we will enjoy the flavors of summer. I read an article recently in regards to smoking and drying my peppers to preserve them, I need to dig a bit deeper and then I will reach out to my friends that smoke for me when all of these peppers are ready.  The Anaheim and Pinata peppers are covered.  I feel so blessed by the bounty I've been able to grow.  Even the jalapeno's that I was sure were done, are once again covered with new leaves, flowers and peppers.  

Hubs and I spent a very quiet weekend, mostly at home, resting, puttering and watching some movies he picked.  I made great progress on the sweater I am working on, I'm anxious to finish it, but realistic enough to know that I have probably got a couple more weeks to completion. I can't stop everything and knit, although it is tempting. 

added about 6 inches since I took the picture

When we went out yesterday, I realized why I am finding more and more peace being at home.  People are getting angrier and more aggressive. Every time I go out I am observing it. We went to a couple of farmers markets, they were looking fairly bare.  Although there was a steady stream of people, all hoping to find what was on their lists.  

My heart sunk at the last one we were at, it was fairly well stocked although the prices were higher than expected.  A very elderly couple next to me were sorting through peaches, carefully filling a box, in hushed tones they were talking about canning them.  Each questioning the other if they knew how to do it, both saying they didn't, but they were going to have to learn if they wanted to eat.  He in his overalls with time worn hands and creases on his face making me think he spent a great deal of time outside doing manual labor, burst into a huge smile and assured her that he had the internet, he could figure it out. 

I'm worried about where our world is heading.  I am trying not to fear for the future, but finding myself often pondering it.  I went to a regular grocery after exhausting all of the local markets, I had to give up.  I was stunned.  So many shelves were bare, meat departments were not only basically empty, but the costs for things has risen so much.  There was barely any dairy and I was stunned to see full sections of shelves and refrigerated sections completely empty.  I watched so many pick things up, look at the prices and put them back.  If Hubs hadn't been waiting in the car I feel that I would have lingered just to observe.  

I hope you are paying attention.  Things are not getting better regardless of what we hear on the news.  The story they are telling doesn't match up with what you see in the real world.  Trying to get gas was absolutely stressful.  We sat in line for about 20 minutes, people were aggressively cutting one another off, you could see the tension as the got out of their cars to pump gas.  Sure the price is down a bit, but it makes you question what is causing the anxiety if everything is as okay as they say. 

Well, the sun is breaking across the horizon, Hubs has already left for the day, he's taking my car in for a tire rotation before he begins his busy day.  It's inspection week, I won't see much of him. My fire is almost gone, my coffee is cold, I guess it's time to give up on the slow waking up and get busy with my day.  Much to do... 

I'm sending you all prayers for prosperity, joy and gratitude....

love and peace... 


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...