Saturday, August 6, 2022

all shades of gray...

I've been thinking about this for a few days, being more critical when reading things and listening with more intent.  I feel pretty safe in stating that I believe the world is becoming so much more brutal.  People are shifting into a place that is dark and ugly.  I've noticed it over the past few years in my immediate circle.  I've watched family members basically attack and criticize other family members for having differing ideals and feelings.  I've observed bitterness and even cutting off of people, it's wounded my heart to watch.  

I've tried to rationalize it, I've tried to understand how people could be so unmoving and unwilling to try and even entertain a view that was different from their own.  How they could shred family ties and throw away a lifetime of love and support over differing ideas and thoughts.  I have many in my world that do not see things as I do.  I value and treasure each of those people, they help to keep me grounded and aware of the world around me.  They prevent me from becoming a victim of my own sort of echo chamber. The only thing I have ever asked is that the thoughts and ideas are not shared in a vicious or hurtful manner. 

That is where my head is today.  It's been lingering in this spot for days now, trying to make sense of what I keep seeing.  I can't. 

A congresswoman died a few days ago in a tragic accident.  I know absolutely nothing of this person, except that she died. Sad when a life is lost early and without rhyme or reason.  Even sadder, were all of the comments made surrounding her death.  It was ugly.  I felt a darkness from all of the hate and vitriol.  My heart shattered for her poor family.  Hundreds of ugly comments followed the announcement, maybe even more, I simply couldn't wade in that pool. 

I am witnessing more and more of that every day on so many platforms.  Reading an article about the elderly couple that passed away from the lightning strike at the capitol the other day, people were ugly there also.  

This ugliness is repulsive.  It was tragic, the only possible blessing is that they went together and that is really reaching.  

I feel that the world is becoming far too black or white.  People are letting their own inner issues escape into the world, they are keyboard warriors.  People that might be polite to your face, but put on a mask of anonymity and hate as soon as they are behind a keyboard. I personally feel this is being driven on all levels in our world today.  It makes me ill. 

I don't know about you, but I was raised with the tenets if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.  Why is it okay to be so hateful and ugly?  Why is it okay to tear others down just for the sake of damaging them. Seriously, why is any of it okay?

I know my husband was in a class a few years back, and he made the comment that he believed and lived by the golden rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  The reaction to this comment was swift and harsh from one of his classmates.  They spewed hatred as they said maybe I don't want you treating me like you would want to be treated.  

It hit him hard. 

I understood and agreed with his feelings on that.  I also practice the golden rule.  I will go above and beyond to treat you good, even if you do not treat me the same.  Why?  Because I want to be treated with dignity, respect, courtesy, kindness and caring.  

The reason this resonates so loudly with me, is because of things like yesterday.  I was running some errands, getting ready for the party to celebrate my sweet mini-me (how is she already 16?), I was trying to put together things that would make her happy, suit her personality.  This led to me shopping in places that were outside of my comfort zone, at each stop I encountered many folks that did not look, think or act the same way I do.  They had different beliefs, ideals and circumstances to their lives.  And at each stop, I had wonderful conversations, shared laughter and found common ground.  It was an absolutely delightful way to spend the morning. 

I learned new things, I enjoyed time with new people and had it driven home on many, many levels that we are all souls here with a common mission.  To survive planet earth.  To thrive, to love, to give to others and to accept the love, compassion, and understanding in return. 

Why is that so hard?

The world isn't black or white, there are a million shades of gray in between those two color values.  It isn't right or wrong, it isn't left or right, nor up and down.  And we simply have to learn to accept that, we have to learn to thrive in all the shades in between.  

At some point we need to come together, in love.  This hatred that is so rampant is not what we are here to do or be.

If I see a dead animal on the side of the road, I always say a quick prayer.  When I see an ambulance racing past me, I also pray.  I have knelt at the side of the road when there was a motorcycle accident and prayed for the injured person while crews feverishly worked to save them.  I'm not special.  I just value lives, I never learned not to.  

I don't care if you are someone that has deeply wronged me, I will never wish you physical harm.  Even if you are a human that is causing great distress to others I will not praise your demise or harm.  All of us are here for a reason, even if we don't understand. 

I just truly wish that some of the darkness and evil that has moved into our world would move on.  I refuse to glorify any of the ugliness.  

Instead, I am going to bow my head and say a silent prayer, a plea to God that some how, some way we all find a path back to love and acceptance and that he will guide me to do my best for my fellow humans. With as much understanding and grace as possible.  Do I slip up, yes.  Do I sometimes struggle with things I cannot seem to understand?  Of course.  Yet, I'm still trying. 

I promise to continue to show up for my fellow man, even when it is hard.  I hope that my fellow man will do the same for me in my time of need and quest for grace. 

love and prayers...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...